1982 Prolink Custom Plans- Input Needed!

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 1982 Prolink Custom Plans- Input Needed!

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

bikeymikey748 wrote:It’s a rare occurrence that I check back here, for a number of reasons.
The title on this post drew me in.
Why don't you go to your friend Mike C's facebook page and share your vast experience of mangling CBXes by bolting random components to them. :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Still, this singularly ugly and personal attack comes as a hurtful surprise.
I am dumbfounded.

That aside...FW66, the depth of knowledge on this forum is something you just cannot find anywhere else. Quite a few of the members have forgotten more than most folks will ever hope to know regarding CBXs. You’re in the right place if you are looking for advice.
I built up an ‘X’ of my own as well. There’s a post somewhere around here ‘bout it.
Coming up on 55,000km. since that time and it’s been nothing but fun.
You would do well to heed the advice of the forum’s members, but always keep in mind you are building the bike for you.
Also, no CBX build is ever ‘finished’, it is a pleasant disease.

Mike C.
Hi ya, Mikey.
Great to hear from you.
First off, you were here long enough to know that EMS and Jeff will disagree on EVERYTHING and you will have to sift through their jabs to get to the pertinent info.
I may be wrong but in this case i don't think it was aimed at you.

55,000 kms? Fantastic to hear your beauty is getting that much use and that you are still enjoying it.
Got a nephew living in Montreal now, if i ever get down there i will give you a call. Love to see it in person.

Link to the build from bikeymikey.
viewtopic.php?f=102&t=7330

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

<<It’s a rare occurrence that I check back here, for a number of reasons.>>

I believe they were refering to a different Mike C. But we're glad you stopped in. What's changed on your bike while you were gone?
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Yes, I too am confused as to who is slamming who here. Mike C from Canada - would you share what the 'number of reasons' you don't check in here very often are. I do not remember during your excellent build threads of any controversy, but maybe I'm forgetting. Many of us chipped in with basic advice, went back and forth on a few things, but as I recall, everyone was cordial. Perhaps something after that? I'm just puzzled.

Mike S was referring to Mike C from Maryland (who is not on here). That Mike has been, and still is, critical of EVERYTHING the ICOA does. Most of us just ignore him on-line. Great guy in person though.

Now to the poster's original question, once again. There is a world of difference in installing a single-sided swingarm on a twin-shock and on a Pro-Link. The poster realizes this. Any links to builds here may help him deciding on front end conversions, but will help not at all at the rear. Thanks Rick, for remembering about Pete Ruff's build. But apart from that one and the aforementioned (several times) JR Luksic's more recent Pro-Link build (pictured here earlier), those links and references won't help much.

Contact JR - he can help you.

Dave

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

OK, I don't have any Pro-link experience because I prefer bikes that look good. :lol: Sorry, I can't help myself.

I feel like this has to be said up front: If you think that Cognito's prices are high, then you need to seriously readjust your expectations for building a real custom CBX. It's not a matter of just scouring ebay and bolting stuff on.

On to the project at hand... When I bought my Z, my plan was to do USD and SSSA swaps, along with a move to 17" wheels with modern rubber - and maybe a fat tire conversion with a 160-180 on the front and a 240 out back.

However, in the course of my research and planning, plus living with the bike, I learned a few things:
  1. Almost all modern USD forks are really short for use on a CBX. To get ground clearance back, you need to lengthen them. (Or just live with greatly reduced ground clearance, which IMO is a legit option in a style-first build).
  2. 17" wheels mean another non-trivial reduction in ride height and cornering clearance, and compensating for that means extending the forks even more.
  3. Big long USD forks with a smaller 17" front wheel really throws off the proportions of the bike. To get it to work really well, you end up with something that looks pretty bad, IMO.
  4. The geometry on modern bikes is so different from the CBX that using modern triples with their very small offsets will add a lot of trail to the front end. Preventing this requires custom triples.
  5. Modern swingarms tend to be too long, which also hurts the proportions of the bike, and a longer wheelbase will of course affect handling, too.
  6. You can't slap forks and shocks from another bike on the CBX and expect them to work. Plan on having them re-sprung at least, and re-valved for best results.
I do not mean to give the impression that I don't like CBX's with modern suspension swapped on. bikeymikey748's machine is amazing and he rides it much more than the vast majority of owners on this site. It has USD forks with triples from the donor bike, a long modern swinger, 17" wheels, OEM shock from another bike, and pod filters - all mods that I don't like in principle - but when I look at his bike I think it's perfect. Just not what I wanted to do with mine.

So, IMO the fundamental point is that any build will be a compromise, and the first question you have to ask yourself is what you most value as you're making those tradeoffs. Look at a lot of custom CBX's, and really pore over the details. What do you like, and what do you dislike? This will help you come up with a plan. Ask questions here, and reach out to people who have built bikes that you like.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Return to “Project Threads”