1982 Prolink Custom Plans- Input Needed!

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
Fw66
New Member & Happy To Be Here

1982 Prolink Custom Plans- Input Needed!

Post by Fw66 »

Hey Everyone!

I recently got my hands on a 1982 Prolink and there's nothing about a 6 cylinder I don't already love. As a person who has taken an interest in building custom bikes, I have started to explore my customization/upgrade options.

I've lurked the forums for a couple weeks now and pieced together an idea for a build that seems feasible. Any input would be appreciated!
As I have seen on many other pages, upgrading suspension and wheel size seems to be a very common route, one that I am interested in. Here is what I am thinking:

1. Upgrade front end: GSXR forks and updated calipers. I called Cognito Moto and they have some pretty nice swaps that are pricey but will save me a lot of work/headache as I don't have access to a full machine shop: https://cognitomoto.com/collections/for ... d-with-rim

I am definitely thinking of a swap close to the link above although not dead-set on any of the hardware provided in that kit. I think they allow mix and match options so any expertise on the config above would be appreciated. I think I'll opt for brembo calipers too instead of what comes in that kit.

2. Swingarm swap: I saw some threads about single-sided swingarm swaps but most have not been on pro-links. I don't plan on riding this bike in the twisties and so I am not super concerned about cornering geometry and steering maneuverability.

I saw that the Honda VFR (although I don't know what year) swingarm is claimed to be a relatively easy swap. However, upon further research it looks like the swingarm is easy to swap but the shock mount is where it can get tricky: http://www.losleos.com/cbxtips/convert.htm

I'd love some opinions on the swing-arm swap, the goals of my swap are:
a. Upgraded shock options (ohlins?)
b. Single-sided swingarm for the style/look
c. larger rear-wheel (not a drag bike but modern sport bike wheel sizes)
d. A config that would respect the front-end swap

3. Electronics Upgrade: This is still up in the air as I haven't decided if it's worth it yet. I re-wired the cockpit on a 1990 BMW K75 to an Acewell unit and it was a bit of a nightmare. I also haven't been able to find anything about rewires on the forums.

In an ideal world, I'd love to fit a Motogadet cockpit onto the frontend but I'm not sure how complicated this would be (where/resistors need to be added and if custom relays need to be built). If anyone has any experience here I'd love to chat.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've taken both my custom 2017 Ducati Monster 821 and 1990 BMW K75 to the Quail Motorcycle show down in Carmel, so I have some custom bike building experience but definitely looking to learn a lot more on this build. Furthermore, if there are any CBX experts around the Bay, I'd love to chat!

Thanks to anyone/everyone who stopped by with or without feedback!

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: 1982 Prolink Custom Plans- Input Needed!

Post by daves79x »

Welcome! Looks like you've done quite a bit of research on what you'd like to do. I have no experience swapping swingarms on a Pro-Link, but a few others here have. You might try contacting JR Luksic (sp) in Michigan. I think he's done it. The VFR arm would be your best bet, but as you said, would require a lot of shock mount work. But it sounds like you have the skills to do it. Get over to the CBX Six Cylinder page on Facebook. JR and others are on there a lot and might give you some ideas.

You do need to get the basics right though concerning the engine, carbs, electrics. That alone can be a challenge, and that, we can help you a lot with.

Dave

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Sounds like fun, but there are things to consider:

Beware of fork length. I've seen customs that needed stupid $$$ poured into them to make a GSXR fork work because it was much shorter than stock, yielding no clearance between the exhaust and the ground.

VFR swingarms seem to be the way many custom builders swing. Must be a reason.... BUT, why are you concerned with the custom shock? You stated you'd not be riding in the twisties, so a high end shock would be wasted.

Anyway, it sounds like a fun project. Enjoy.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Fw66

Post by Fw66 »

Thanks for the suggestions/feedback! I'm don't plan on riding it in the twisties but I guess I like the idea of building a performance bike that could be sold to someone who wants to ride like that. I'll take a look at the Facebook pages and see if anyone's done swingarm swaps, thanks!

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Jim Zemanek/Cincy Cycles has done a bunch of them. Others have done them as well, but not as many.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

I have done a ZRX swingarm swap and so have a few others through the years, I had 10 sets of hardware made to facilitate the swap and they all sold yrs ago.

There are several threads here with pics of the swap, I would post the pics here but Photobucket has them.

Disclaimer, it's a dual shock setup!

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Fw66 wrote:Thanks for the suggestions/feedback! I'm don't plan on riding it in the twisties but I guess I like the idea of building a performance bike that could be sold to someone who wants to ride like that. I'll take a look at the Facebook pages and see if anyone's done swingarm swaps, thanks!
You will face a challenge to change your Prolink into a "performance bike". No matter what you bolt on there.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

![/quote]You will face a challenge to change your Prolink into a "performance bike". No matter what you bolt on there.[/quote]

You old guys think it's smarter, and cheaper to just buy a performance bike rather than try to make a silk purse......... Dang, you're right. A CBX was a performance bike 40 years ago, now they're just really cool. You can alter their stance, increase power or cornering ability somewhat, but it will always get it's clock cleaned by a newer bike of half it's size.

I still like my CBX. :D

And for the record, Mike's not that much older than I.
Rick Pope

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Just to be clear, FW66 is asking about swapping out the swingarm on a Pro-Link, not a twin shock. As I said, JR is the only guy I know that has done that, everyone else has modded twin-shocks.

Dave

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

I can think of 4, maybe 5, that Jim has done using the VFR swinger. Perhaps he's done more. The black one he had in the VJMC tent at Vintage Days was set up that way, as was the silver one he built in the tent next door. The red one which he had at Vintage Days a few years ago, had the VFR set up, and I believe there was another black one, and a white one. He's built so many, it's hard to keep track.

Hmmm, Dave, upon re-reading your post I see what you mean. Putting a VFR swingarm in a Pro-link, not putting a twin shock in a pro-link. Yes, I know Jim has done a couple of those too, as he was showing me how he welded in the upper shock mounts. I can't name which bikes though.

Edit: I dug back through some old pics and yes, Jim's red bike was a twin shock w/ VFR swingarm. I know the silver one was Pro Link, as was the white one. Can't recall for sure on the two black ones.
Rick Pope

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Rick Pope wrote:I can think of 4, maybe 5, that Jim has done using the VFR swinger. Perhaps he's done more. The black one he had in the VJMC tent at Vintage Days was set up that way, as was the silver one he built in the tent next door. The red one which he had at Vintage Days a few years ago, had the VFR set up, and I believe there was another black one, and a white one. He's built so many, it's hard to keep track.

Hmmm, Dave, upon re-reading your post I see what you mean. Putting a VFR swingarm in a Pro-link, not putting a twin shock in a pro-link. Yes, I know Jim has done a couple of those too, as he was showing me how he welded in the upper shock mounts. I can't name which bikes though.

Edit: I dug back through some old pics and yes, Jim's red bike was a twin shock w/ VFR swingarm. I know the silver one was Pro Link, as was the white one. Can't recall for sure on the two black ones.
I have some pics here in a thread that I took during lunch at a past VMD, Jim had a couple bikes parked at the pavilion, if you can find said thread some pics are there!

See if this thread link will work, pics are there,
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7895&hilit=Vintage+days
IMG_0618.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

daves79x wrote:Just to be clear, FW66 is asking about swapping out the swingarm on a Pro-Link, not a twin shock. As I said, JR is the only guy I know that has done that, everyone else has modded twin-shocks.

Dave
What was the name of the fella who put the Ducati rear back section on, single sided swingarm, custom triples and front end? It was on the the cover of the CBXPress, with an extensive write up.

One of the best customs to ever adorn the magazine, incredible engineering and fabrication!

The bike was black with white accents?

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

[/quote]What was the name of the fella who put the Ducati rear back section on, single sided swingarm, custom triples and front end? It was on the the cover of the CBXPress, with an extensive write up.

One of the best customs to ever adorn the magazine, incredible engineering and fabrication!

The bike was black with white accents?[/quote]

Yup, Dan ........ from Kansas or Nebraska. Had a '56 Chev w/ a Hemi too.

Anyhoo, the photo clearly shows Jim and his red early model. I'll call him and ask how many ProLinks he's done. I won't bother him today, as he's always got a crowd at his shop on Saturdays.

I do know Jim frequents facebook, so there's likely some pics to be found there.
Rick Pope

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Dan Uhing from Omaha, Nebraska. Modified 79. I take exception to the remark "incredible engineering". It was a very nice (!) effort of taking stock parts from other bikes and make them fit on the CBX. there was no "engineering" in it.
No consideration was given as how wheel base, rake and trail would affect handling and performance riding. I never rode it, but wouldn't be surprised if you could outcorner it with a stock CBX.

Jeff Elmore from California had a 82 Prolink. He also had a VFR swingarm conversion in a CBX. I don't know if it was one and the same. There is probably some info on CBXWorld.

VMD 2011 had JR's and JimmyZ's single sided swingarm conversions next to each other

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I'm still saying that JR's bike pictured above is the only Pro-Link with a replacement single-sided swingarm that I've seen or heard of. I think you'll find that Jim Z's single-sided conversions are all early bikes, but I haven't seen or heard of nearly all of the ones he's done. I'm sure Jim can clear this up, and if he's done some Pro-Links, can be of great help with how to do it.

Dave

Return to “Project Threads”