1980 CBX revival

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
oneBEARDtwoWHEELS
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Re: 1980 CBX revival

Post by oneBEARDtwoWHEELS »

Finally got the carbs off today. Tried all of the suggestions regarding heating up the boots...with no luck. There was cracking evident on them and it looks like parts are available so finally I cut them off. Next up will be pulling the valve covers and head to take a peek at everything. One question I have is are the head studs one time use studs or can they be reused? I'll post some pictures once I get the head pulled off (most likely next week).

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

This looks like a great project - I'm watching with interest.

I'd strongly suggest getting as clear an idea as possible about what you want the end result to be before you get into real work. EMS has done a good job of explaining how to maximize the monetary value of the bike - it's one of less than 2,200 '80 CBX's made in Japan. However, it's also one of one CBX's bought new, modified, and ridden by your old man. So you have to weigh the market value against sentimental value. You also have to ask if the mods your dad made improved the bike from your perspective, or if they made it worse for how you intend to use it.

Personally, I love the "before" photos - to quote The Velveteen Rabbit, it looks like a Real bike:
“Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real.'

'Does it hurt?' asked the Rabbit.

'Sometimes,' said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. 'When you are Real you don't mind being hurt.'

'Does it happen all at once, like being wound up,' he asked, 'or bit by bit?'

'It doesn't happen all at once,' said the Skin Horse. 'You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand.”
Have fun - there's a wealth of knowledge and help available to you here. I can't wait to see what direction you go with this bike.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

oneBEARDtwoWHEELS

It's been a long time. I have been thinking where I want to go with the bike. It has been sitting for a while, but I am getting back in to it pretty heavy now. Just removed head and cylinder. Found a few surprises. Here are a few pics. I will be splitting the cases soon. I would like to send the cases off for vapor blasting. I saw Nils is no longer doing vapor blasting. Anyone else reputable in the Pacific northwest?
PXL_20210904_222205337.jpg
PXL_20210906_230219344.jpg
PXL_20210906_230236137.jpg
As I said before it has already been bored by Ontario mototech. There is a little bit of rust in a couple cylinders, however it does not look very deep. We'll see how it cleans up. Maybe just a hone will suffice. Any thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Hope it only needs a hone, doesn’t look bad at all! The valves are the next question mark, good luck with the build! :cheers:

Those top ridges probably need to go though!

Jb

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

I’m sorry I can’t help you with this, but I do have good news. There is a craftsman in your area named Matthew Harlowe, HRS Motorsport I think. He has a VHT and is very conscientious about his work. He’ll fix you up.

Here comes the free advice you didn’t ask for:

IF, and only IF, you truly need to go into the bottom end, and split the cases, then I’d CONSIDER vapor blasting them. I’d DEFINITELY vapor blast the entire top end, that metal is and looks great, and its a fantastic, maintenance-free finish. Ditto the valve cover, but opinions vary on that. I love them vapor blasted and finish free, other guys like them painted, or even ceramic coated for a higher shine. If the sump is pretty clean and the oil pickup doesn’t show signs of blockage, big end bearings feel nominal, then I’d leave the bottom end intact, seal it up at the rods and soda blast and paint the crankcase. Then remove the clutch cover and crank end covers, get them vapor blasted and sisal polished. You are stuck painting the magnesium alternator cover, it can’t be polished or left bare after vapor blast. That’s what Honda did, and that will look better. That’s dull streaky alloy under that stock crankcase paint, and it’s hit or miss how it may look vapor blasted.

There’s a great thread here under “restorations” with lots of good guidance on the engine painting process.

Best,

Nils
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

NobleHops wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:35 pm
There’s a great thread here under “restorations” with lots of good guidance on the engine painting process.
I assume you mean this?

Part 1
Part 2
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

oneBEARDtwoWHEELS

Thanks for all the tips! I'll check on that vapor blasting lead! I know I will be splitting the cases and getting in to the bottom end. I want to check everything on this bike. It has sat outside for 20+ years, but didn't realize the bottom cases were a different alloy. By ceramic coat I assume that means cerakote? The engine was already painted to some degree in the past.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Just to be clear, the entire engine was painted from Honda.

Dave

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

The alloy on pretty much every major part of the engine is different, with the possible exception of the head and cylinders.
Nils Menten

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Syscrush wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:58 am
NobleHops wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:35 pm
I assume you mean this?

Part 1
Part 2
That’s it Phil, yes.
Nils Menten

Return to “Project Threads”