1982 CBX EFI PROJECT

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 1982 CBX EFI PROJECT

Post by Gearheadgregg »

BiKenG wrote:
Gearheadgregg wrote:Be nice to Fab this to our CV carbs > http://roadstercycle.com/yamaha_vmax_fu ... cv_car.htm
I looked into using that when planning to inject a Valkyrie. In the end the project never got off the ground, but I think it's feasible. It does seem to make sense when you effectively have the throttle bodies made for the job and just need to swap jets for injectors. I may have a go myself and make the injector holders etc.

I would certainly be very interested in the outcome if anyone were to try it.

However, purpose designed throttle bodies have to actually provide a better solution. Seems to me we need some custom throttle bodies made to accept the spindles, butterflies and linkages of the original CBX carbs. How hard would it be to get those manufactured Good question, Fella did a EFI on the Valkyrie club years ago , but it was supercharged and had a single throttle body , he still has the bike runs good http://www.jkozloski.com/efi.htm

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

BiKenG wrote:However, purpose designed throttle bodies have to actually provide a better solution. Seems to me we need some custom throttle bodies made to accept the spindles, butterflies and linkages of the original CBX carbs. How hard would it be to get those manufactured?
IMO for one set, it would have to be more difficult/expensive than converting the OEM carbs for use as TBs. For 50 sets, the custom solution would have to be easier/cheaper. But where is the break-even point, and how much of a market is there?
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

I heard back from the guy selling the conversion kits for VMax bikes. He's semi-retired, not really interested in doing new/different carb conversions.

Still, I'll be studying the install instructions on his site, the approach taken with his kit might make sense for updating a CBX.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

If eBay can be believed (which is a big "if"), the vacuum sliders for the CBX are the same as the DOHC CB650. And the DOHC CB650 carbs can be fit easily to the ubiquitous and popular SOHC4 engines. I wonder if all of those DOHC4 engines with Keihin CV carbs used the same sliders...

If so, then the approach taken for the VMax would open up easy carb-to-TB EFI conversion options for a whole hell of a lot of vintage Hondas.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

Syscrush wrote:If eBay can be believed (which is a big "if"), the vacuum sliders for the CBX are the same as the DOHC CB650. And the DOHC CB650 carbs can be fit easily to the ubiquitous and popular SOHC4 engines. I wonder if all of those DOHC4 engines with Keihin CV carbs used the same sliders...

If so, then the approach taken for the VMax would open up easy carb-to-TB EFI conversion options for a whole hell of a lot of vintage Hondas.
If you could find the slide diameter of the V-max and match it to the slide of 28mm Kehin CBX , then a ECU for 6 cylinder and Oxygen sensor for exhaust fuel pump return line ect would not be impossible to do ?

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Gearheadgregg wrote:
Syscrush wrote:If eBay can be believed (which is a big "if"), the vacuum sliders for the CBX are the same as the DOHC CB650. And the DOHC CB650 carbs can be fit easily to the ubiquitous and popular SOHC4 engines. I wonder if all of those DOHC4 engines with Keihin CV carbs used the same sliders...

If you could find the slide diameter of the V-max and match it to the slide of 28mm Kehin CBX , then a ECU for 6 cylinder and Oxygen sensor for exhaust fuel pump return line ect would not be impossible to do ?
The slide for the CBX is a different shape than the VMax one. The VMax one is perfectly round, which according to the designer/maker of those EFI kits, made things doable.

The slide for the CBX (and maybe some of the DOHC4 bikes) is almost round, to me it doesn't look like a big impediment.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

lock58
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by lock58 »

Hi
My name is Dave I have a question about your timing wheel and coils.I have a micro squirt on my cbx to run the injectors and now I would like to ask you some questions about the Engine timing.

If possible can I call you on the Phone?
My email address is wingnuts373@gmail.com

Thanks

Dave

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

lock58 wrote:Hi
My name is Dave I have a question about your timing wheel and coils.I have a micro squirt on my cbx to run the injectors and now I would like to ask you some questions about the Engine timing.

If possible can I call you on the Phone?
My email address is wingnuts373@gmail.com

Thanks

Dave
From my experience, your best bet for reaching him is probably by PM on this board, or via FB.

Can you please tell us more about your bike and how you're doing the conversion?
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

patzx12
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by patzx12 »

I am glad you recovered from the burns Michael, it was a nasty incident.

Return to “Project Threads”