'79 Custom - staying custom...for now (10 year sleeper)

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: '79 Custom - staying custom...for now (10 year sleeper)

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Did the carb synch lessen the rattle?

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

Barely. This one is really loose. Not as bad if I bump the idle to 1200 or so, but that's cheating. And not really an idle.
'86 VMax, ‘83 ZN1300-6, ‘78 GL1000, '75 750K

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

You'd better pull the alternator wire plug apart and look at it too. Many have gotten hot and melted to some degree. Make sure you look very closely at your square profile o-ring seal. Pull it off and note that it is not square. Install the widest dimension so it's doing the sealing. Many are put in the other way because it looks like it fits better. You have to be squeezing the o-ring and the narrow way it doesn't.

The clutch rubbers will help a whole bunch. Just follow the excellent instructions. Have a clutch cover gasket and pulser gasket ready. And the correct hub nut tool!

Dave

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

Thanks Dave. As usual, really appreciate the tech tips. I know you've already saved me some aggravation. This will help, too.

...gotta look into the hub nut tool.

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

I thought maybe I wouldn't post this since I don't always have a lot of finesse with power tools, but what the heck. I'll open the kimono.

Regarding the clutch rattle. I ordered the rubbers from Bert at Six Center and got them installed a couple of weeks ago. The clutch really quieted down and I am well pleased. It truly was bad enough before to be embarrassing.

Unmolested but rattling:
IMG_0033.JPG
Grinding, drilling, tapping, grinding more. The plate definitely shows residual scars from heavy-handing application of a rotating wheel. At least it's hidden:
IMG_0034.JPG
IMG_0040.JPG
All in all, this is a bit of a project, but is time and money well spent...if you don't like embarrassing noises. Or if you don't mind marred surfaces that were once pristine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Looks great from here.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

my clutch isn't at that level as yet, fine tweaking of the carbs eliminated 99% of the rattle the other 1% gets lost in the rumble from the Pipemasters...when it comes time to put in the sixcenter rubbers I'll let my mechanic do it so I don't mess it up...
Last edited by wyly on Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

We're on the cusp of cooler weather here in Southern Arizona and I've got some stuff lined up for this custom beast. I'll add a couple of installments as I do the final sorting, but after that I'll just be riding it!

Yeah, the Six Center rubbers are a godsend and made a huge difference on my clutch noise.

I obtained a "spare" six pack and had Mr. Nixon do his thing on them. I installed the Randakk kits in the current set, but they're not perfect. Close, but off. Rather than pull them again, fettle around and re-install only to still not have them perfect didn't sit well with me. So, these will be going in soon and I suspect any remaining clutch noise will be dang near eliminated. Hope Mike doesn't mind if I use the shot he took of them before sending them back my way:
After Mike Nixon!.JPG
Also, and since my bike is already pretty far down the custom path, I also sourced a Pro-Link swingarm. Bearings are solid and it's so clean, I won't even touch the finish, just detail it. I picked up pivot adapter bushings and shock mounts from Jim Sawtell. I just need to mock it up and I'll get them welded on. I should be ready to rock, but since the arm length increases, I'm going to convert to a 530 chain while I'm at it.
IMG_E0180.JPG
Looking forward to showing off a bit this riding season (as much as a 60 yr old kid can do that).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

If anybody else is interested in the swingarm conversion parts, Jim can be contacted through his Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/JESBUILTMotorcycles/
I am not on it but there is still contact information available to everyone.

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

And another day closer to death. But, today was a good day. I got the Pro-Link swingarm shock mounts on today. Took him about 20 minutes. Sort of anticlimactic, really.

So, the only thing holding me up now is a 530 chain. (This slightly longer arm gives me an excuse to get rid of the 630).

Time to get after it!
IMG_0286.JPG

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

I know I started like gangbusters on this thing and had intended to be finished by now (Nixon carb rack and ProLink swingarm). But, we moved. I lost a nice shop in a divorce some years back and sorely missed it. As luck would have it, I get one more chance. Room to breathe and a wife who supports - and even revels in my quirks.

I know a bunch of like-minded monkey wrenches can understand the slight delay. But, as you can see, the patient is already in position on the table - even if the shop is still in shambles...
ISizqr81hslm681000000000.JPG
IMG_0443.JPG
IMG_0435.JPG
IMG_0441.JPG
I will be finishing the Z soon. Riding season is in full swing in Southern Arizona. Made a 200 mile loop on Sunday on the Valkyrie.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

That is a great looking work area.
Also looks there is plenty of space for the riding stable to grow.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Awesome!!
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

What a great looking shop/garage.
Half the fun will be getting it just how you would like it.
Congratulations,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

cbxtreeme
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by cbxtreeme »

desertrefugee wrote: But, we moved. I lost a nice shop in a divorce some years back and sorely missed it. As luck would have it, I get one more chance. Room to breathe and a wife who supports - and even revels in my quirks.

I know a bunch of like-minded monkey wrenches can understand the slight delay. But, as you can see, the patient is already in position on the table - even if the shop is still in shambles...
Completely understand....been there more than a few times myself.
Once the shop area is organised just how you want/need it, you can make up the lost time.....at least that is what I am trying to do :mrgreen:
___________MY TWO STROKE ADDICTION_____________

RGV VJ21 L___________________RZ 350_____________
RGV VJ22 FL__________ GT 750 long term cafe project___
RGV VJ22 N ________________RS 250 Cup Bike_________
RGV VJ23 T__________And one for the water...SX-R 800_
____________________RZV500R______________________

Return to “Project Threads”