'79 Custom - staying custom...for now (10 year sleeper)

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: '79 Custom - staying custom...for now (10 year sleeper)

Post by desertrefugee »

I think the carbs are good to go after all. I installed the pods and the idle is smooth without choke now! I was surprised how much difference it made. I guess the open throats run a good bit leaner even than with the pods. I'm guessing the stock airbox would be much more restrictive.

Took a quick five mile shakedown cruise and am VERY pleased at how well it runs. I still need to address swingarm bushings (have bronze) and headstem bearings (have All Balls).

But...I'm ready to insure this puppy and put some miles on it! Already have the plate!
'86 VMax, ‘83 ZN1300-6, ‘78 GL1000, '75 750K

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

After ten years under a cover in a Tucson garage, I can officially say this custom Z is awake. The miles I noted have begun to accrue. A quick fifty-three (53) mile circle down through the Salt River Indian Reservation made me smile today.

A couple of final observations and I'll close out this wake-up thread:

1) Bike could use another gear. Out here in the wild, wild west where roads can often be straight and long, 5K RPM cruising altitude can grate on the ears aftre a while (especially with these danged RC pipes!) Note to self: wear earplugs next ride, even under the helmet.

2) I know folks are sticklers for originality, but I do like this Corbin. Not the first Corbin I've had and been satisfied with. They seem to usually get it right. They did on this one.

3) I mentioned that maybe my carbs didn't need more tweaking after all. I was wrong. Slow circuits still have issues. Not horrible, but the idle is a bit ragged, and there's an ever-so-slight bog from goosing it from idle. No bog whatsoever anywhere else. In fact, it goes like stink.

4) Even on a Wednesday morning, the bike gets noticed. To be honest, I wasn't looking for that. It's the flames, I think. Ah well, maybe it'll put a swagger in my step again. Or not.
IMG_5899.JPG
IMG_5900.JPG
IMG_5904.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

SWEET !!! step up your slow jets one step, mine is like silk through the gears , did you wrap your baffles ? , mine is much better now with Stainless steel wrap, But man that is gonna look nice with new chrome on the pipes . Best Greg

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Fantastic! Great job!
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

I know I said I'd close out this thread, but I guess I'll update it from time to time if I consider an action to be significant. I think this one was. Beats cluttering up the board with redundant activities.

As much of a statement of engineering prowess as the CBX was for Honda, I am not really sure how or why they opted to employ a critical component like a swingarm bushing made from plastic. Weight? Ease of installation?

In any case, my swingarm was a bit shabby looking and I never asked the PO (original owner) if he'd upgraded the bushings. I figured maybe I could kill two birds with one stone.

And it turned out he had not:
IMG_5925.JPG
Got these from Germany. I've heard good things about them. They were definitely snug. Judicious use of both freezer and heat gun on opposite bits was necessary. Oh, and a hammer.
IMG_5926.JPG
I have a set of All Balls bearings for the triple tree, but I am seriously considering sourcing another set of forks - inverted and larger than 37mm ... :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

And so it goes and so it and so it goes! A better frt end, what use is that with out a stronger swingarm, better shocks, better brakes, better, better, better. It never stops but it's fun!

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

You could have taken it up a notch from the brass bushing. If you went through the effort to get it from Germany, there is a needle bearing kit available over there (here too, occasionally). It was made by "Schuh". A "real" improvement, of course, would be a different swingarm.
Contemporary records say Honda tried to save weight by using plastic swinger bushings. Only the 79 has them.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I haven't installed a set in a while, but every brass set I had required a bit of reaming to get clearance for the pivot bolt. That's kind of the way many bushings are made.

Dave

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

daves79x wrote:I haven't installed a set in a while, but every brass set I had required a bit of reaming to get clearance for the pivot bolt. That's kind of the way many bushings are made.
Dave
Interesting. The pivot bolt slipped right through these without a hitch. Where I struggled a bit was getting the bushings into the arm. (Hence the freezer, heat gun and hammer). Good luck to the chap 40 years or so from now who has to remove them.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

That's strange! Usually, when you have an issue with the OD of a bushing and you have to "force' it into a seat, you create an issue with the ID of it. That's the nature of brass bushings. They all "float" somewhat and when you squeeze the outside, the inside gets tighter.

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

Thanks to Greg (GearHeadGregg) for a freshly chromed set of RC Engineering headers. My chrome was looking pretty tired and he offered up a "spare" set he had never used. After some finagling, I'm calling this thing ready for the road - except for the alternator oil seal and turn signals that are on the way. Thanks for the support, Greg. We gotta carry the "custom" torch!
IMG_5955.JPG
IMG_5957.JPG
IMG_5958.JPG

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

That looks nice !! Your bike has had a lot of love from the previous owner , the Diamond pattern on the rotors Corbin seat, High end paint Sport Kit ect , Pleasure talking with you today Derrell, Does your center stand hit ? or does it stop as is shown, Russ Collins is smiling i am sure, Greg :text-goodpost:

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

There's a bar stop for the center stand on the left side! Thanks Greg!

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Nice to see site members offering support with hard to find parts.
Good on ya, Greg.

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

Working through Dave's (long) list of recommended actions - many of which are driven by actual need...

Alternator was dribbling oil. Intended to replace gaskets and seals, but decided to do bearings and brushes while I'm in there. Clutch surfaces looked good.

Oh, and this clutch rattle is driving me nuts. To the point of being embarrassing. Rubbers on the way from Six Center. And then this machine will be tucked away for the Summer (reverse of the rest of the Northern Hemisphere) and the refresh will continue this Fall.

Return to “Project Threads”