Propav8r's Dream Bike Resurrection

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
propav8r
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Propav8r's Dream Bike Resurrection

Post by propav8r »

Hi everybody, I've made a quick introduction, but since I now actually have possession of the bike, it's time to start the project thread in earnest.

I have wanted a CBX for a LONG time, but I really had a hard time justifying spending 8-10k on a fair condition runner. I had other priorities and other projects, and currently own my '78 GL1000 "Buffet Racer" and a restored 1985 BMW K100RS (that I unfortunately laid down recently, and haven't had time to fix the way I want)

Anyhow, I also had a 1972 H2 750 project that I bought for pennies awhile back. After some soul searching, I decided to sell that bike, and try and track down a CBX. I made out pretty good with the H2 even selling it in pieces, and the search for a CBX began.

I knew I wanted an '81 or '82, with a pretty strong preference for a pearl white '82. After lurking on a few CBX facebook pages, I found a vague post by a gentleman down in South Carolina who was kicking around the idea of selling his '82. He was the original owner, and purchased the bike brand new in 1985 as part of the group of NOS located by Honda. At the time, he worked at Manassas Honda just outside of DC. He's owned the bike ever since, and rode it about 32,000 miles.

In the late 90s and early 00s, his career as a pilot began taking off (rimshot!). As such, he was away from home and away from his bike quite a bit, and it was stored permanently sometime around '03.

The real motivation behind the sale was spousal happiness...apparently he purchased a Goldwing without consulting the Accountant, and decided to preemptively sell the CBX to make amends. I think it worked, as he showed up with all his digits to the sale.

Anyhow, I bought the bike and dragged it home, but not before taking some photos of it against the Charlotte skyline. It certainly doesn't look too bad for it's age, and it is 100% complete. The mirrors were removed to prevent them from getting damaged in storage.

I also have a replacement fuel tank in very good condiditon (the one on the bike currently is rusty inside and has an epoxy patch over a pinhole) as well as a replacement right pannier (the DG exhaust melted the bottom of the current bag a bit). He also included a dealer service manual, the orignal paperwork for the bike, and a few other odds and ends.

After getting it home, I decided to try and start it. After changing the oil, I hooked up gas to the carbs, which resulted in a large puddle of fuel at my feet, but that's no surprise. I was planning on a carb rebuild anyway. I removed the seat and the air cleaner, and hit the intake with some brake cleaner. It fired right up! It runs beautifully smooth and hits on all 6.

So all the electrics work, the motor sounds healthy, the clutch works, and the bike shifts through the gears. Really, all I need to do to get it on the road is to replace the seized, corroded, and just plain nasty front master cylinder, hope the calipers aren't too badly seized, replace any rubber fuel lines, control cables, etc., and just generally give it a good once-over.

The general plan is to get the bike mechanically roadworthy one small item at a time, and after a season of riding, I'll tear into it and do it up the way I want to. We'll see how that plan holds up. Anyhow, since this thread is worthless without pics...

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Propav8r's Dream Bike Resurrection

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Surprising to run at all after sitting for 15 years.
Looks like a great starting point.
Is that an old CBXClub sticker on the front fairing? Did the seller mention being a member here at one time?

propav8r
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by propav8r »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:Surprising to run at all after sitting for 15 years.
Looks like a great starting point.
Is that an old CBXClub sticker on the front fairing? Did the seller mention being a member here at one time?
It is. I got a few unused stickers and his membership card with the manual.

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Nice!
I have been wanting an 81 or 82 for a while . The guys I ride with that have them really ride them and have no trouble taking those beauties on 3,000 mile trips. Great bike you got there. :text-coolphotos:
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

propav8r
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by propav8r »

Thanks all...should have my ICOA membership here in the mail any day :D

I'm building a bike for a guy (wish I hadn't taken on the project now though) so I won't be able to start on the CBX in earnest until I finish that up. Til then I'll just be sourcing pieceparts that I know I need. First up, front master cylinder, braided brake hoses, and control cables.

Gonna start socking away pennies for a carb rebuild too.

Erik64
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Erik64 »

Wow, love this one, kee up the work :)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

CopperCollar wrote:Nice!
I have been wanting an 81 or 82 for a while . The guys I ride with that have them really ride them and have no trouble taking those beauties on 3,000 mile trips. Great bike you got there. :text-coolphotos:
Couple of 82s on ebay right now for low starting bids....

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Yes! I saw them. Being retired has significantly quenched my income. Now back to sitting on the fence watching the cool bikes go by while piecing together old ones as I can afford parts.

I figure an 81 or 82 will turn up that I can afford and then rehab.
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

propav8r
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by propav8r »

Life has gotten in the way a bit, as have other bikes. I now have a '78 XL350 and a '75 Suzuki RE-5 in the shop as well. The XL is almost done. Given that it was a simple project, the idea is to flip it and use the cash from that to fund the rebuild of the CBX.

Haven't forgotten about it...just been busy.

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

Hey! I was wondering how you were doing. We acquired our CBX's at about the same time, both have old GL's and both are from North Carolina.

Now the differences: Your bike is an original Pro-Link, mine a customized twin shock. Both of our GL's are Darkwing equipped. I'm no longer in NC and miss it terribly.

Good to see you checking in. Wondering if you're still intent on going with fuel injection...? :o
'86 VMax, ‘83 ZN1300-6, ‘78 GL1000, '75 750K

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

propav8r
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by propav8r »

desertrefugee wrote:Hey! I was wondering how you were doing. We acquired our CBX's at about the same time, both have old GL's and both are from North Carolina.

Now the differences: Your bike is an original Pro-Link, mine a customized twin shock. Both of our GL's are Darkwing equipped. I'm no longer in NC and miss it terribly.

Good to see you checking in. Wondering if you're still intent on going with fuel injection...? :o
Great minds and all that...

I've gone back and forth on EFI. Part of me wants it for the rideability and tuneability, but part of me wants to keep the bike original. I honestly haven't decided what route I'm going yet, and I've invested precious little time or effort in either.

propav8r
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by propav8r »

I've committed to getting the bike running this winter. It's too pretty sitting in my shop to not be able to enjoy it this year, plus there are several events I'd like to attend with it.

First up are the carbs. I've decided to stick with the carbs, at least for now. I'll order a rebuild kit from Randakk (unless someone has a source on a better/more complete one) and tackle the carbs myself. I'd love to ship them out and have them come back beautiful, but I also think I'd prefer to do it myself and learn.

I'm betting that a simple cleaning/reseal is all that is needed.

So here's the preliminary list:

Carb rebuild.
Master cylinders (front and rear) rebuild, or replace if rebuild is not possible.
Suspect brake calipers are okay, but I'll inspect for condition and operation. Rebuild (or source replacements) if needed.
Both fork seals are leaky, so new seals are needed there.

I'll probably leave the cosmetics alone for awhile, save for the couple things that will bug me. Namely, the windshield, and slight corrosion on the triples and handlebar surfaces.

I say that I'm just going to do the basics to get it running and reliable, but knowing me, I'll experience scope creep and have it all blown apart soon.

The plan is to not tear the motor down and split the cases. There's just no need that I can see. I may pull the motor out for soda blasting and paint, but I may leave that alone and spend the time and effort other places.

Anyway, half the battle is starting. I need to just bite the bullet and jump in. There's really only a few hundred dollars worth of parts that I actually need to get this thing roadworthy.

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

propav8r wrote:... There's really only a few hundred dollars worth of parts that I actually need to get this thing roadworthy.
Really happy to see you back at it!

Subscribed!

But, your comment above is duly noted...

:teasing-poke:
'86 VMax, ‘83 ZN1300-6, ‘78 GL1000, '75 750K

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

propav8r
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by propav8r »

desertrefugee wrote:
propav8r wrote:... There's really only a few hundred dollars worth of parts that I actually need to get this thing roadworthy.
Really happy to see you back at it!

Subscribed!

But, your comment above is duly noted...

:teasing-poke:
Ha, yeah, I'm sure there will be a bit of scope creep. However, depending on your interpretation, $10,000 is nothing more than a few, few hundred dollars :D

Started working on it in earnest last night. I removed the fairing to tilt the motor, and as soon as I saw it without the fairing, I kinda fell in love. I think I'm going to convert it to a naked front, bur doing it so that I can always go back to the fairing if I want.

I'll definitely keep the bags out back for storage though.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

FYI - you didn't need to remove the fairing to tilt the engine. Naked Pro-Links have their appeal to be sure, just know that the proper early parts (headlight complete with stay, turn signals, a couple of other things), are VERY expensive. It is also a real chore to fold all those wires into the headlight bucket, but quite doable. Settle on a specific plan, then do it. Just know that getting the mechanicals all checked out, forks rebuilt, brakes rebuilt, carbs correct, rear shock linkages cleaned and lubed, replacing the crappy stock shock, lots of other things should be your focus. Those all will keep you busy for the winter!

Dave

Return to “Project Threads”