Time for Another

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Time for Another

Post by CopperCollar »

The 80 is done so another one is on the lift!
Found this one a while back with the top end off and missing a bunch of pieces but decided to give it a go anyway.
Looks like this bike was slid on the right side from the abrasion marks on the right lower case.
The previous owner thought it would be an easy engine to get running, only the top end was off and for what reason?
Dropped the oil pan and yuck!
Once I saw the oil pan I knew the right thing to do was disassemble the engine.
Take a look at this oil pump pick up.
Took the oil pump to the work bench to clean off the debris but it fell apart in my hands.
Continued on and found these in the case.
The left cover over the gear shift mechanism suffered to.
Must have been acid in old oil that ate through the magnesium cover and the oil pick up tube.
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Time for Another

Post by CopperCollar »

Sent the head and valve cover to Nils at Restocycle for vapor blasting; came out so nice that I am looking for a good clear coat to apply. Found a ceracoat clear that may do the trick.
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

You're a glutton for punishment Mike! Moisture (or just plain water) in the oil will do that as well. Nils' work is excellent as always. Is that an '80 valve cover?

Dave

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Any idea how acid got into the motor?
Is is just the engine oil breaking down from sitting for years and/or water causing the damage?

I am assuming the Ceracoat would stand up to the heat cycles without yellowing?

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

daves79x wrote:You're a glutton for punishment Mike! Moisture (or just plain water) in the oil will do that as well. Nils' work is excellent as always. Is that an '80 valve cover?

Dave
I never would've guessed water could do that :o
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

That is a good question Dave, I'll have to take another look at it. The original did not come with the bike.
Agree with water in the oil causing the magnesium breakdown.

Managed to get all but one stud removed from the engine case. One would not back out. I tried all the tricks in the book bit only managed to get the stud to turn a quarter clockwise and counter clockwise, never could get more than that.
Finally threw in the towel and cut the stud then drilled it out.

Next stop for the cases will be Tucson; let Nils vapor blast those puppies.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

You can tell by the seat surface of the mounting bolts that it is not a 79, but a later cover.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Gotta ask.....what are the 3 parts you found in the crankcase?

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Looked at the cover again and it's from an 80. That's okay with me. This bike will be put together with various parts from the bin. So far an 81 front end, maybe a CB 1100f swing arm, CB1100f boomerangs, and a assortment of engine parts.

Steve from the looks of those pieces one looks to be a wire clamp from inside the bar switch assembly, one is a piece of house and the piece that looks like a staple is not a staple but a pin of some sort.

Rest of the engine looks great so far, rod ends are still in spec, wrist pin bores are in spec, rods a B and all within a gram of one another. Tomorrow the crankshaft journals will get measured but I am sure they will be in spec. The clutch looks like new, transmission shifted fine but third gear looks like it got hot, fork looks okay so :handgestures-fingerscrossed: Have the oil pump to spec but I think it will be fine, no corrosion made it to the pump. Cylinder bores spec like new, no taper no ridge, piston to cylinder is .00015-.0002 and will probably be fine with a glaze break and new rings, cams are another story; looks like they rattled around in a box and got dinged up. The head is in excellent condition, valves all lapped perfect, no recession at all. Overall the engine looks good despite the corrosion of the magnesium which appears to have been localized.

Previous owner bought bike with the idea of putting it together or as a parts bike for his 80; it sat in the warehouse since 97 and by the time I bought it many parts were scavenged or just lost.

Engine wise parts missing are the valve cover hence the 80 cover I have, the right side hose cover, the left side sprocket cover, left side hose cover, head nuts and washers, cam end caps and screws, right crank end cap, carburetors, air box, coils and spark wires, exhaust system and oil lines.

Frame wise switch gear for the handlebars, ignition switch, complete headlight assembly, complete mickey mouse cluster, wiring harness was shorted out and melted, tool kit missing, no tank, side covers, tail piece, front fender, turn signals and rear tail light assembly. Whew! that might cover it.

So the quest begins. Spent the afternoon making up a parts list, so far four pages long but a lot of it is little stuff like nuts and bolts. Tomorrow to the shed and see what is there on the list then I can start the hunt for the unobtanium stuff like the headlight bracket, headlight shell and so on.

This will be fun.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

CopperCollar wrote: So the quest begins. Spent the afternoon making up a parts list, so far four pages long but a lot of it is little stuff like nuts and bolts. Tomorrow to the shed and see what is there on the list then I can start the hunt for the unobtanium stuff like the headlight bracket, headlight shell and so on.

This will be fun.
if you're not concerned with accuracy with headlight I always thought the train sized 8" light from a GS Suzuki of the same period looks great on many bikes.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Hey Wyly, I have a GS headlight assembly on standby but hoping I'll find the CBX mount.

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Got lucky and found a set of sport kit steps for $25. They were pretty rough but with graded sanding and polishing the steps came out acceptable:

Phil gave me a set of NOS step decals for the sports kit.

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Turned to on the rear brake master cylinder. When I pulled the rubber cap off and saw the corossion it looked like a hopeless cause but with some heat and penetrating oil the master cylinder came apart and the bore was surprisingly in great shape. A light honing and it should work well.

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Found what I think is the sport kit brake linkage. Here is a comparison of the two.

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

CopperCollar wrote:Found what I think is the sport kit brake linkage. Here is a comparison of the two.
Yes, the top one is for the Sports Kit.

Return to “Project Threads”