1980 with Trac dynamics swingarm to use zrx1100 rear wheel

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
ivannigro
New Member & Happy To Be Here

1980 with Trac dynamics swingarm to use zrx1100 rear wheel

Post by ivannigro »

Hello there.
I am new to the forum. I am doing a project with my 1980 cbx. I am using a 2000 Kawasaki zrx1100 front and back wheels and suspension. The front triple tree it wasn't a big deal to turn and use cbx bearing. The swingarm I have Dave from Trac dynamics made me a custom cbx to zrx swingarm.
Now my issue is the foot stand. The swing arm is wider and the foot stand touch the swing arm. I could place spacers between the foot stand and the frame, but the long swingarm and bottom engine bolts become to short.
I am bringing my issue here so some one who work on CBX's could give a ideia.
I am thinking of use the spacers and some how extended the two bolts

Ivan

Soon as I figure out how to place pictures in this forum I will

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 1980 with Trac dynamics swingarm to use zrx1100 rear whe

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Welcome to the site, Ivan.
One of the members here, Jeff Bennetts has a ZRX front and rear end grafted onto a '79.
Hopefully he will be along shortly with some details.

80 cbx dude #6216
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by 80 cbx dude #6216 »

Hello Ivan, I also used a 01 ZRX 1200 front and rear suspension on my 80 CBX. I used the ZRX side stand as well, made a spacer to go thru the CBX frame and used the ZRX hardware to bolt it all up. I also put the ZRX side stand in a press and tweaked it to get the bend I was looking for. I will get out to the garage at some point this weekend and take some pictures.-Mike

80 cbx dude #6216
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Ivan, I'm doing this from memory and it's been awhile. A spacer was made to fit the frame. I bought a used kickstand from Ebay, there are a couple on there now if you want to use this option. I cut the spring tabs off, keeping the longer one for later use. I placed the kick stand in a press and bent it to clear the swingarm. I also welded a threaded lug onto the frame, with a set screw, so I could control where the kickstand stopped at. The foot of the kickstand, I used a die grinder with a cut off wheel, made a slice just above the foot, almost all the way thru. Made another slice above the first one at aproxamently a 30 degree angle. Mounted the kickstand and bent the foot up to where I liked it the best. Tacked the spring tab into placed and when it was where I needed it, final welded it. Shaped the surface, and had it powder coated. -Mike

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Hi Mike.
Hope you are finding the time to rack up some miles on your black beauty.

80 cbx dude #6216
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Hello Steve, The X s waiting for some cylinder head work and my wife bought a fresh set of pistons that I haven't installed yet... Been riding an 03 black Goldwing though. 8)

ivannigro

Post by ivannigro »

80 cbx dude #6216 wrote:Hello Ivan, I also used a 01 ZRX 1200 front and rear suspension on my 80 CBX. I used the ZRX side stand as well, made a spacer to go thru the CBX frame and used the ZRX hardware to bolt it all up. I also put the ZRX side stand in a press and tweaked it to get the bend I was looking for. I will get out to the garage at some point this weekend and take some pictures.-Mike
Hey Jeff, thanks for the response. I wish the international CBX association website it was a little use friendly.
I am using a 2000 zrx1100. The rear wheel it is no so wide as the zrx1200, but main problem is the foot stend, or the foot peg support and not the side kick stand.

I am using a custom made swingarm made by Trac dynamics in california. This swing arm is much more wider and the stock foot peg holders can't be used with it.
I was looking online for some idea and I come across with a rear seat meda by over racing by I can't tell if will fit or not. Take a look at it.

https://japan.webike.net/products/23092374.html

Thanks for the support.

80 cbx dude #6216
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Ivan,
The rear sets that you have provided the link for look like an expensive copy of the original ones, in my opinion. How much wider is you're swingarm?At what place on the rear sets does the swingarm not clear? Do you want to be able to have a passenger? There have been many custom CBX's that have solved this problem.- Mike

ivannigro

Post by ivannigro »

80 cbx dude #6216 wrote:Ivan,
The rear sets that you have provided the link for look like an expensive copy of the original ones, in my opinion. How much wider is you're swingarm?At what place on the rear sets does the swingarm not clear? Do you want to be able to have a passenger? There have been many custom CBX's that have solved this problem.- Mike
Yes, I love to be able to bring my wife with me. To clear I need to place a spacer between the foot peg support and the frame 1 1/4 inch thick. But if i do this I will need the bottom engine screw and the swing axle longer in 2 1/2 inches.

ivannigro

Post by ivannigro »

Mike, one more thing.
Did you use the ZRX triple tree ? If yes what you did about the fuses ?

Thanks once again

80 cbx dude #6216
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

I did use the ZRX triple tree, I placed stock fuse holder in the headlight bucket and called it done. -Mike

Return to “Project Threads”