1982 CBX Prolink hasn't been run since 2006

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
nwtk2007
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

1982 CBX Prolink hasn't been run since 2006

Post by nwtk2007 »

So, This bike has about 17,000 km's on it. Good shape. Was last run in 2006; per the owner everything had just been done and it was running great.
What is the recommended protocol for getting it going? Is there anything to avoid doing in the process? I'm just curious myself. I have it in the hands of a very competent mechanic. He probably has his methods but I'd like to monitor with some expert advice from the experts on the owners forum.

nwtk2007
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 1982 CBX Prolink hasn't been run since 2006

Post by nwtk2007 »

Oh yes, stored in a garage; very clean and dry, again, per the former owner.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Most important thing - were the carbs drained? And was the tank kept full, or completely drained? That will tell you a lot about the amount of work and money required. You say 17,000 km - is this a world market bike?

Dave

nwtk2007
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by nwtk2007 »

Private owner. Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

OK. Reason I was asking is that in most of the world (US and Canada excepted), the Pro-Links came with what we call the sport kit (low bars, rear set pegs) and no bags. Those are rare here in the US and a bit more unique. But your Canadian version should have been like the US spec bikes with high bars and bags.

Dave

nwtk2007
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by nwtk2007 »

I think its American specs but for the speedo being km and not miles. No bags but I have some on the way.

It looks like he left gas in it with maybe some fuel conditioner. I'll have them just do the works; tank, carbs, etc.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I guess what I was trying to say is that the Canadian models and US models were identical except for the speedos.

Dave

nwtk2007
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by nwtk2007 »

I understand. Sounds like I have enough knowledge to be able to follow the thinking of the mechanic as he gets it running. I'm going to have him clean the gas tank and refinish the inside and I'm going to have him rebuild the carbs. I'd be surprised if the gaskets didn't leak, even if the jets are clear.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Just make sure your guy uses one of the better tank sealants. Caswell, POR-15 come to mind. I'd say anything but Crème. Yes, the carbs should completely disassembled and rebuilt.

Dave

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

nwtk2007 wrote:I think its American specs but for the speedo being km and not miles. No bags but I have some on the way.

It looks like he left gas in it with maybe some fuel conditioner. I'll have them just do the works; tank, carbs, etc.
After 11 years of sitting I am hoping your "etc." also includes brake rebuilds and tires.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Add fork seals to the list. Also carefully check the rear shock. If it's stock, there's a very good chance all the oil leaked out long ago. That's the first upgrade to do - new rear shock.

Dave

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Suggestion: Be certain the guy gets his carb parts from Mike Nixon, TIMS or Randaak. TIMS good place for fork seals, too. If you do a rear shock, check Progressive. It's a good package; and, can be found for decent price.

Welcome. Have fun!
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

nwtk2007
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by nwtk2007 »

The place I have working on it is VJ Moto in Lewisville, Texas. Check their website. They also do restorations.

The now have it up and running. Said it runs great although there was a lot of smoke at first. It apparently had too much oil in it while it was sitting. They flushed the crankcase before starting it and now it's fine.

They are re-coating the gas tank, changing lines, petcock, front fork seals and springs, all brake lines changed to metal, etc. I just asked about the rear shock.

I'm hoping to get it and get out on the road with it this week end.

His mechanic was very familiar with the six cylinder CBX so I guess they know what they are doing. I'll let you know.

Return to “Project Threads”