My '79 Restoration

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: My '79 Restoration

Post by herdygerdy »

Beautiful work, such a credit to your tenacity and new found passion for these lovely old gals. Really looking fwd to the next installment, hopefully when the wick is lit for the first time in far too long...

Russ
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Russ »

On to the engine install.........

Got the carbs on with the control cables already fitted. I was waiting for over a year for the engine breather hose (the short one coming out of the rear if the alternator) on "back order", in the end I kept buying various second hand ones from other bikes off eBay and this one is made from a center section of a 929 fireblade I think?
IMG_1430.JPG
After fitting the airbox we rigged up a Heath Robinson lifting arm from box section on the end of the engine hoist.
IMG_1432.JPG
Very little clearance so we had to get it near enough and then shove it into position and let the lift off.

IMG_1435.JPG
After a bit of heave-hoeing it's in the frame with the bottom engine mount in, manually lifted it up a bit then put a trolley jack under the sump to get more control if it as there are plenty of bits to get caught and things need to be attached as it goes up.
IMG_1437.JPG
And it's finally in with the rest of the engine mounts on.
IMG_1442.JPG
From this side you can see what I mean about the ceramic coating not being as aesthetically pleasing as polishing and I've got a spare polished clutch cover I can put on if needed.
IMG_1450.JPG
IMG_1449.JPG
The original engine had figures printed onto the rear of the motor, these were the engine assembly date - on the picture below you can see them. Obviously the ones printed at the factory were removed when the motor was vapour blasted.
Honda used the Japanese notation method.

The engine serial number should also be within about 200 of the frame number, if this is the case it is almost certain it's the original engine and frame.

Found a picture of the original numbers
IMG_0885.JPG
Copied them onto painted cases for any future owners.
IMG_1466.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Looking good! I do believe the vacuum valve suction hose should be tapped into #3 intake spigot instead of #2. You might find it in the way where it is now.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

So, your engine was build on the 7th of July 1978 and was the 12th motor completed that day.

Russ
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Russ »

EMS wrote:So, your engine was build on the 7th of July 1978 and was the 12th motor completed that day.
Yep :thumupp:

Return to “Project Threads”