79 engine rebuild

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: 79 engine rebuild

Post by daves79x »

In my experience, you might like to use more paint. I usually put 3 pretty wet coats on. The head and cylinders alone should take more than 1 can. But whatever looks good to you.

Dave

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Mouse wrote:Go sparingly on the paint. Less is more when painting something like an engine. You can end up with it looking like mine with its paint filled crevis's ( :? ) and peeling under side.
peeling is usually an adhesion issue...

-this can be caused by work space temp is too hot or cold...

-contaminants on surface, grease, even oil from your fingerprints...

-as well paint needs to bond to the surface either chemically or physically... chemically some coatings will bite/eat into the surface for adhesion or physically by scuffing the surface so that the paint has something to cling on to ...

-or just using the wrong product ...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

daves79x wrote:In my experience, you might like to use more paint. I usually put 3 pretty wet coats on. The head and cylinders alone should take more than 1 can. But whatever looks good to you.

Dave
the paint on the cylinders were in fair condition but I did three coats anyways...I didn't take the head to paint, the machine shop that worked on it did some cleaning as did the mechanic, cleaned up it looks brand new...when I bring back the painted parts I'll compare them to the head and see how they look side by side...

the cases are quite scuffed up but I think I can do them with one and 1/2 cans (it'll be close)but I have more if needed...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

I have found that multiple light coats result in good adhesion and a nice durable finish. If I hurry the job with less in number but heavier coats each coat tends to skim over and then dry to the underside of the dry skin rather than the part. Mind you most off my spray work has been on wood so..... :?
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Mouse wrote:I have found that multiple light coats result in good adhesion and a nice durable finish. If I hurry the job with less in number but heavier coats each coat tends to skim over and then dry to the underside of the dry skin rather than the part. Mind you most off my spray work has been on wood so..... :?
I sprayed commercial and industrially for a number of years the same general technique is applies to wood as well...the difference is in the technical requirements of the coating being applied, automotive products has it's own unique learning curve as to how the coatings behave...

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

cases painted, there's a spot I want fix on the upper case tomorrow but otherwise I'm done, 1 1/2 cans paint 5 coats...7432

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Looks great! Now just have your guy be very careful with reassembly!

Dave

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

rebuilding an engine is EXPENSIVE! :shock:

still not ready to go back to work so I sold my AW440 Maico to pay the bill :( ,a sad day seeing it drive away but it's going to good home, a collectors personal museum to join a 100 other collectables...I was never going to ride it again but I had grown rather fond of looking at it...

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

postal service lost my parts shipped from SCM twice!, finally one parcel arrived after two months (the other parcel is still missing)...now the engine can be reassembled, completion date is estimated mid march :D ...spring riding weather should arrive by the end of march 8)

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

That stinks, Robert.
Canada Post? Is the second package insured?

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:That stinks, Robert.
Canada Post? Is the second package insured?
I assume it was canada post because tracking showed both left the Netherlands...a trace by NLPost to locate it showed the 2nd package arrived in Vancouver 5 weeks ago :shock: ...

1st package was sent priority post, the 2nd was priority and insured...Bert at SCM said if/when the 2nd package arrives just to refuse it and it will be sent back to SCN at no charge...

in the end I've got my last parts and the rebuild can be completed... 8)

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

polishing up a few bits before assembly, does anyone have any advice on how to polish deep between the fins of the exhaust collars?

I'm going to clear coat the shiny bits with high temp Eastwood gloss.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Felt polishing cones with your choice of polishing compound works well, you can get them to fit a Dremel Tool or what I prefer are the cones used for die-grinders from an automotive head porting & polishing kit.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Jeff Bennetts wrote:Felt polishing cones with your choice of polishing compound works well, you can get them to fit a Dremel Tool or what I prefer are the cones used for die-grinders from an automotive head porting & polishing kit.
:text-goodpost:

:doh: and I was looking at my dremel kitbfor a solution and I dismissed it :laughing-rolling: ...I gave it a try with brushes and polishing attachments that I had and got them cleaned up :D ... tomorrow I'll go to Lowes and HD and see what they have for the the final polish and shine...many thanks.... :D

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

I got these parts polished up but when I applied the clear gloss coat to prevent tarnishing they lost their luster, compare to earlier photo, and the exhaust collars picked up some black tarnish between the fins that wasn't there when they were cleaned :?
There were two different Eastwood clear gloss coatings they're both resistant to high heat I chose the one that was 50% cheaper. The other Eastwood coating was a two component product that had a 24-48 lifespan once activated in the can so I'd end up throwing away what wasn't used... not having anything else that needed to be clear coated I went with the less expensive can so could put the remainder up on the shelf until I found a use for it...the two component gloss would've resulted in a shinier finish, but that may be subjective as these weren't glossy finishes from the factory...

not sure as yet if I want try again with the better product. :think:

Return to “Project Threads”