79 engine rebuild

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 79 engine rebuild

Post by Mouse »

wyly wrote:
Syscrush wrote::lol:

Love it!
my daughters comments... 1-you're a dork... 2-you're such a weirdo..

I agree with your daughters :lol:
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

wyly wrote:my daughters comments... 1-you're a dork... 2-you're such a weirdo..
I agree with them, which is WHY I love it. Tell them when they get older they'll realize that only weirdness matters.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

engine completion was on hold, mechanic couldn't find his cbx clutch nut so he ordered a new one, engine should be done friday :D
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

CBXTRA6
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBXTRA6 »

<<searching the web I found two products POR 15(Glisten PC) and Bulldog Adhesion Promotor that supposedly will do the job...one person recommended just leaving it polished and then applying Diamond Brite polish truck tool box polish, his reasoning was that clear coatings will either yellow or chip over time and re-polishing is easier that stripping and re-coating...>>

Late in the reply, but this person is correct ! I've done it with the same product you have (Eastwood) on a polished cam cover and this is exactly what happened ... (that clear coatings will either yellow or chip over time)
JP

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

CBXTRA6 wrote:<<searching the web I found two products POR 15(Glisten PC) and Bulldog Adhesion Promotor that supposedly will do the job...one person recommended just leaving it polished and then applying Diamond Brite polish truck tool box polish, his reasoning was that clear coatings will either yellow or chip over time and re-polishing is easier that stripping and re-coating...>>

Late in the reply, but this person is correct ! I've done it with the same product you have (Eastwood) on a polished cam cover and this is exactly what happened ... (that clear coatings will either yellow or chip over time)
thanks for the confirmation...my cam cover had numerous scratches which I couldn't tolerate so had it ceramic coated...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

home at last :D ! that was expensive :( but I'm confident it was done right by a very experienced wrench...

now I gotta get that big lump back into the frame, not the easiest task to do on your own at my age. I couldn't figure out how to get it up on the lift by myself with the bike already up there so I'll roll the bike off and get it bolted in at ground level first then push back up. Should be ready to fire it up by midweek, a week late for the it's 40th B'day but close enough.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

I sat down, had a coffee and thought about it, I didn't want to remove the bike from the table... decided not put a floor jack under but instead lift it with ratchet straps

1st-roll big floor lift to table
lifted it high enough to maneuver it over onto to garden kneeling pad to protect the bottom of the case
I used three ratchet straps to lift it high enough to get lower pivot bolt in ...once the bolt was, removed two straps and slid the small floor lift underneath7582
2 hours, good enough for today :D

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

trying to recall how everything goes back together eight months after you've taken it apart is a challenge :? ...finding misplaced items....trying to figure out where those familiar yet mysterious parts go :? ...consulting the internet for parts schematics, torque specs and photos...after market manual sucks when it comes to quality photos :x

progress is slow but I've got the wiring sorted, starter and alternator in, oil lines attached, drive sprocket on...

tomorrow, carbs go in and tilt engine back into place :-)

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Macguyver would be impressed with the strap set-up.
The anticipation of firing up that beautiful lump must be killing you.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:Macguyver would be impressed with the strap set-up.
The anticipation of firing up that beautiful lump must be killing you.
the strap makes a nice backup to the jack I can alternately back off one or the other.

I'd Iike to have it fired up this week maybe tomorrow or thursday...I'm going slow checking everything as I progress, a few hours a day is all my creaky back can handle...

carbs in today, last time for the carb boots those suckers are getting hard as hockey pucks I'll replace them next time I do a tilt, engine is back on it's hangers...

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

this metal label was falling off so I removed it before it did...worked out okay because I repainted the cover it was on...does anyone have a recommended adhesive to stick it back on?...an adhesive that won't dissolve the paint underneath and then fall off later?
and if you have a picture of it's exact position would be of help too. :D

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

done...I was hoping to be finished yesterday but I "almost" forgot :o it was my 32 anniversary, that could've been fatal! so I got very little done ...
ready to try fire it up and realize I don't have a fuel filter :roll: :doh: I'm not about to run fuel into my freshly cleaned and rebuilt carbs and risk plugging any of those minuscule orifices...where am I going to find a filter at 6:30 :?

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

engine fires up easily, and idles well revs easily but the rpm gets hung up at 2,000-2500rpm and doesn't come down
I've check the throttle cables and choke several times all seem to be working well
checked the advancer and that snaps back when twisted
checked for vacuum leaks at the carb boots front and back, sprayed ether at them and there was no response in rpm

hooked up vacuum to check sync, 1st photo is at 1000rpm
2nd photo at 3,000rpm, number one is a bit high but is it significant enough to cause the problem

Dave has been trying to help me with this but if anyone has any ideas from left field let me know, it's quite possible I did this in the assembly but I don't know what I may have done.

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

Hi,

The readings are all close, but not close enough in my experience. I have seen the same symptoms as you are seeing, and fine tuning the synchronisation fixed it.

Each bank of three carbs are close to each other, but there is a bigger difference between the two banks. Just go ahead and synch the carbs, it should fix it.

Paul.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

jnnngs wrote:Hi,

The readings are all close, but not close enough in my experience. I have seen the same symptoms as you are seeing, and fine tuning the synchronisation fixed it.

Each bank of three carbs are close to each other, but there is a bigger difference between the two banks. Just go ahead and synch the carbs, it should fix it.

Paul.
that'll take a while to get done this isn't an easy sync like on my GS, this is stretching my mechanical ability...it took me a day just to figure out how to reach the middle carbs to screw the plugs back after a vacuum test. (mac tack on the end of a chop stick holds the screw well enough)

I have the long carb tool but trying to find a short carb tool was the next problem, I can't find one in this country so had to order from US it should be here in 5-10 days.

until it arrives I'll be searching for the adjustment screws on the carbs, I've found only one on carb #1 (maybe a 2nd on #6) so if you have a picture of where the others are that would be of help.

Return to “Project Threads”