79 engine rebuild

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
kap384
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 79 engine rebuild

Post by kap384 »

Keep up the tenacity! You'll get there. Inspiration for me to tackle mine
1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber
1972 Honda CT70
1975 Honda MR50
1975 Honda CB400F Supersport
1977 Honda CB750F2 Supersport
1978 Honda XL100
1979 Honda CBX Supersport
1983 Honda CX650T
1995 Honda VFR750
2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin
1965 Suzuki T10
2015 KTM 200 XC-W

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

kap384 wrote:Keep up the tenacity! You'll get there. Inspiration for me to tackle mine
thanks but I couldn't do it without the help of this forum, I'm also a very stubborn SOB ... lots of mistakes on my part but I try learn form those mistakes and move on...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

after all the polishing I did I couldn't stand the cloudy finish on the carb tops so I got out the buffer and cleaned it off, I have some body panels I can respray with the new clear I bought today on my GS and maybe the cowl on the CBX...the new clear doesn't have the heat tolerance of the first product but it does dry clear...I think I'll leave the heat resistant on the exhaust collars...

I used the east clear on the left first and now I have the two component clear on the right...

but before I spray if anyone has done this before I'd like to hear how you did...
when spraying to get good adhesion you need either a chemical or physical connection, polished aluminum has no physical surface coating to grip, so that leaves only chemical...but are there clear chemical under coatings that will grip a polished surface without leaving a cloudy finish?

searching the web I found two products POR 15(Glisten PC) and Bulldog Adhesion Promotor that supposedly will do the job...one person recommended just leaving it polished and then applying Diamond Brite polish truck tool box polish, his reasoning was that clear coatings will either yellow or chip over time and re-polishing is easier that stripping and re-coating...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

rather than waste expensive clear coat on the carbs in an effort that may not achieve the desired results I decided not to put any protective coatings on the carb tops...it's not that difficult a task to polish up them up twice a year while I polish up my Pipemasters at the same time.

engine will be completed this month so very close to the 40th anniversary of it's initial build on the 27th :D

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Buy this kit from Maas metal polishing, it has everything you need and will last for many years.

https://www.maasinc.com

Scroll down the whole page and buy the products individually or choose one of the kits, you can thank me later!

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

I wasn't planning to rebuild the carbs because there weren't any major issues with them but then I thought now would be a good time to do it when mated to rebuilt engine. Initially I was going to do the safe and sure rebuild with Dave but then I thought it sucks that everyone who is good at this lives so far away from me and they all seem to live in the USA...that's bad on two counts, 1st shipping to and from takes time and money and then there is canada USA currency conversion :shock: adds 25% to every item...I thought the mechanic doing the rebuilding has my confidence for that then I should step up and let him do the carbs as well...it's a risk but for myself and every other cbx owner in the region to find someone we can bring our cbx's to with confidence, we need someone who can do the job as well as Dave and Mike...

he said they weren't in too bad of condition, a couple small orifices were partially blocked and the air cut valve was missing a small o-ring, he used randakks rebuild kit and oem parts, replated some of the exterior parts, changed the jets and shimmed the needles to Daves instructions...

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

They look Nice ! bolt them up and let us know it was a success :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Look Great!
They are a work of art.
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

CopperCollar wrote:Look Great!
They are a work of art.
pretty yes but will they work flawlessly?... I took a chance doing them locally and not sending them to Dave for the sure thing...but I had to do it, I'm quite confident the mechanic really is as good as I think he is, other vintage bike owners in the area say he is too...

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

wyly wrote:
They are a work of art.
pretty yes but will they work flawlessly?... I took a chance doing them locally and not sending them to Dave for the sure thing...but I had to do it, I'm quite confident the mechanic really is as good as I think he is, other vintage bike owners in the area say he is too...
I hope it works out for you.

My local mechanic has gotten good at removing and replacing those carbs, and they've been gone through multiple times, but I've reached a point where I need them looked at by someone who's done enough of them to be able to smell when something is not right. If yours are in better shape than mine, or if your local mechanic is better suited to the job, you should have better results - here's hoping!
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Syscrush wrote:
wyly wrote:
They are a work of art.
I hope it works out for you.

My local mechanic has gotten good at removing and replacing those carbs, and they've been gone through multiple times, but I've reached a point where I need them looked at by someone who's done enough of them to be able to smell when something is not right. If yours are in better shape than mine, or if your local mechanic is better suited to the job, you should have better results - here's hoping!
Ive heard only good things about my mechanic, he’s known across the country , I met a BMW rep from Ontario who told me he’s one of the best...I’ve since learned he’s wrenched on world MotoGP circuit and worked with Aprilia ...the only question was his familiarity with Cbx , I know he’s worked on at least four in the last year and even had a custom shop manual made just for the Cbx in a shop friendly format...the final judgement will come when I put it all back together and fire up the Z...I anticipate a good result...

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

I was hoping to have my engine back by today as Precious has it's 40th B'Day.. so I celebrated the moment with what I have!

Last edited by wyly on Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

:lol:

Love it!
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Syscrush wrote::lol:

Love it!
my daughters comments... 1-you're a dork... 2-you're such a weirdo..

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

wyly wrote:
Syscrush wrote::lol:

Love it!
my daughters comments... 1-you're a dork... 2-you're such a weirdo..
My kids, and grand kids, call me similar names. I just smile and agree.......
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Return to “Project Threads”