Suspension Upgrades

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Suspension Upgrades

Post by daves79x »

You need the F or Pro-Link axle - '79 CBX won't work. Stock fender will fit under the F brace but you'll need to drill/elongate holes to exactly fit. You'll need an F style speedo drive also. Stock US 1100F bars and parts aren't too hard to find. Remember, if you use stock 1100F lowers, you'll have all the TRAC stuff to deal with. CBX forks are the cleanest for what you want to do.

Dave

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Thanks a million, Dave. I didn't know about that TRAC stuff. Definitely not something I want to get into.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Ordered my shocks today, will hopefully have the details on the forks finalized today or tomorrow. The plan I've settled on is the 39mm Pro-Link forks with new cartridge internals, a fork brace, Pro-Link bottom triple, and custom top triple. Also upgrading to 310mm rotors from a GSX-R, and 4-piston calipers (probably 65mm Brembo axial mounts).
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

39mm Pro-link forks have been ordered. They're being shipped straight to Rick at Cogent Dynamics - my suspension guru. He will replace the internals with his 25mm setup and send them on to me.

I also ordered a Superbrace.

I have no idea how I'm gonna keep my cool about riding this bike, waiting until all of the parts have been shipped/fabbed/installed... I can't wait to get out on it again once these upgrades are done - which will probably not be until spring.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Patience, Grasshopper.
They were spraying the brine and salting the parking lots here so probably a good idea to wait for spring. Don't want to take a chance with cold rock hard tires and slippery roads.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

I hear ya, Steve.

The goal is to have the bike all ready by the end of Feb - there's usually at least a couple of days of decent riding weather in Mar. But even if it takes until the start of Apr I won't miss out on much. If we get everything done in Jan, I'm gonna have a terrible time keeping my cool through Feb. :)
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Forks have arrived at the suspension shop, and shocks are ordered. Rotors are at my place, and fork brace is on its way...
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

I LOVE LOVE LOVE waiting on stuff to arrive! The suspense, the anticipation!
Then there's the whole installation process to look forward to. Not to mention that first ride.
I am envious of you, Phil, so much to look forward to.
It's gonna be a long winter for you buddy :D
Meanwhile, keep those updates rolling in 8)

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Thanks Mikey.

BTW - does your Ducati have axial-mount brakes, or radial? If they're the 65mm axial calipers, I'd like to ask you to take a measurement for me...

What's the width measured from the midline of the rotor to the inside face of the caliper? I want to go with those calipers, but want some confidence first that they'll fit.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

With the Pro-link forks, do I need to change the speedo drive, or can I keep what I have?

What about the steering stem? I'll probably get one with my triples, but want to know what my options are.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Syscrush wrote:With the Pro-link forks, do I need to change the speedo drive, or can I keep what I have?

What about the steering stem? I'll probably get one with my triples, but want to know what my options are.

As far as the speedo drive is concerned, it depends on what size wheels you are going to use. If you change from the 19" stock wheel, your speedo will be off. I have never put a CB1100F triple on a CBX, can't comment on that.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

My current speedo/odo is very accurate with the CB1100F wheel. Both speed and distance #'s are within 1% of my GPS - it's amazing to me that a pure mechanical solution is that good.

I've been assuming that the way the speedo drive interfaces with the fork is the same between the 35 & 39mm forks. Sounds like that's correct?

BTW - I was just reading your post about the change in trail when using the Pro Link triples. I was already planning to have a top triple custom made, I guess I'll get a set of 1100F triples and confer with my machinist about if it's better/easier to modify the F top triple to mount the gauges etc. or make something new.

BTW - I tried signing up for CB1100F.net and had no luck - I'm not getting the sign-up confirmation email. Do you know if that forum is active & healthy? Or do you know of a source for the 1100F triples that's better than scouring ebay?

If I do go with 1100F triples holding Pro-Link forks, do I use a Pro-Link or 1100F axle? Are they even different?
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Syscrush wrote: I guess I'll get a set of 1100F triples and confer with my machinist about if it's better/easier to modify the F top triple to mount the gauges etc. or make something new.

If I do go with 1100F triples holding Pro-Link forks, do I use a Pro-Link or 1100F axle? Are they even different?

Phil:

If you get a Canadian (or Euro) F triple tree, it should have a provision to mount the headlight and instruments like the CBX, because these bikes did not have the small fairing.
As far as the axle is concerned, it depends what the difference in fork leg spacing is. Again, I am not sure. I have a n F triple tree and could measure it for you, but I cannot get to my parts "warehouse", because I had a hip replacement and cannot go to the basement for a couple of weeks :roll:

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

[quote="EMS- because I had a hip replacement and cannot go to the basement for a couple of weeks :roll:[/quote]

What? Hip replacements are for old phartes, not youngsters like us. :shock:
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

EMS wrote:...I cannot get to my parts "warehouse", because I had a hip replacement and cannot go to the basement for a couple of weeks :roll:
Whoa, what? That's what I call a restoration. Geez Mike, sorry to hear that, it's no fun I'm told. Hope you're on the mend by now and feeling OK.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “Project Threads”