Rocketman's CBX

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Rocketman's CBX

Post by EMS »

CopperCollar wrote: I am looking at painting and can't decide the color I want to go. Basic black is what I am leaning towards. I believe she was originally a Candy Glory Red based on some of the bodywork but CBX owners change body colors like Imelda Marcos changed shoes.

Mike

Mike: Black will most certainly be easier (and consequently cheaper) to paint than Candy Glory Red, but bear in mind that the bike is a '79 and black was not a '79 color. Red was correct for both years, '79 and '80, but the Candy Glory Red is very difficult to paint correctly. While I agree that many owners change body colors of their CBXes, most try to stick to the original scheme, for a few exceptions who prefer blue, yellow and green.
It may not be something that you consider important right now, but an original color scheme adds significantly to the value of the bike if you ever decide to sell it, while exotic paints, no matter how well they are done, take away from it.
That all being said, I would go for Perseus Silver as the ideal compromise. Relatively easy to paint, original 79 paint scheme and fairly good looking, especially if you stick with the purple wheels.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Mike, how concerned are you about originality and resale value? it's not like your CBX is stock anyway.

Either way, it looks like the restoration you have done so far is top notch and a nice paint job will only compliment the rest of your work so far.

I have been kicking around the idea of painting some spare bodywork I have in Candy Glory Red but in that flat paint that has become popular lately.

He'll it's only paint.

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Right Jeff its not stock! One day I may retire it to stock. SN is 385.

Right now it will be my daily fun ride!

Might go with a candy black cherry/ brandywine, still leaning towards black though.
its a classy color that always looks good with the right amount of polished bits.

Not found of silver and glory red while nice it is a pricey bit to paint, three stages vs two.

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

CopperCollar wrote:Right Jeff its not stock! One day I may retire it to stock. SN is 385.

Right now it will be my daily fun ride!

Might go with a candy black cherry/ brandywine, still leaning towards black though.
its a classy color that always looks good with the right amount of polished bits.

Not found of silver and glory red while nice it is a pricey bit to paint, three stages vs two.

Mike
With all the brite work you have on the bike, you can't go wrong with a nice black paint job.

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

I agree with EMS on value and originality color.

One day I will restore it but for now I just want it for play.

It's a killer set up and I realy like the way Tom set it up.

Yeah Jeff, I am really leaning towards the black right now, if for no other reason cost.

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

At the first rally I attended, Rich Gerhold and Dick Gunderson showed up with a clean custom done in the reverse of a silver '79. That is, black with a silver center stripe, and a single gold pinstripe seperating the two down the tank. So simple and classy.

I'd bet a dollar that Jeff can find a picture or two of it, as he was there too.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Rick Pope wrote:At the first rally I attended, Rich Gerhold and Dick Gunderson showed up with a clean custom done in the reverse of a silver '79. That is, black with a silver center stripe, and a single gold pinstripe seperating the two down the tank. So simple and classy.

Dan Uhing's custom CBX has a similar paint job. Not silver, but white. Looks good also.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Rick Pope wrote:At the first rally I attended, Rich Gerhold and Dick Gunderson showed up with a clean custom done in the reverse of a silver '79. That is, black with a silver center stripe, and a single gold pinstripe seperating the two down the tank. So simple and classy.

I'd bet a dollar that Jeff can find a picture or two of it, as he was there too.

Yes, dear departed Rich or Dr. Detail as he was affectionately know by (AKB), hey I just created a new acronym :dance: and Dick Gunderson has probably put more beautiful paint down on people's CBXes as anyone else on the planet.

Dick's white CBX is still a head turner to this day.

I'll have to look through my CBX albums but those were the early, early days and at the time I wasn't sure I wanted to waste too much film on a bunch of castoffs that I probably would never see again. :laughing-rollingyellow:

Jb

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Before leaving for work I was able to fire the ole girl up and set the dynamic timing. She idles nice and has good throttle response. I retarded the timing about 2 degrees as we have only ethanol enhanced fuel available.

Still undecided on the paint but I am meeting with the painter next week to pick a color. So far pearl black is in the front running followed by candy brandywine and candy black cherry.......

Mike

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Well I fired her up and took a short spin. So far jetting seems okay so I won't fiddle with it for now. I removed the STG III kit because the bike whilst running well still had some off idle issues, just felt to fat. Once I compared a STG III needle to the stock it was like holy cow!

JR's Alternator conversion is the cats ass, I would recommend it to anyone considering the change. Looks cool and it works. Put the old alternator up for restoration day.

I set up front end sag yesterday and may go back to the Progressive shocks, the CB1100F shocks feel underdampened and under sprung despite the adjustments. Tom had her set well with the Progressive shocks, I just liked how the CB1100F shocks looked.

I polished up the fork brace and fuel petcock yesterday.

Body work off to the painters today, Think I have chosen Black Pearl.

Mike

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

CopperCollar wrote: Body work off to the painters today, Think I have chosen Black Pearl.

Mike

So, Mike, are you going to rename her "Black Pearl"....ARRRRRR :D :D

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Hell Yeah!

Fits.

Now if I can get Colin to whip up a skull and cross bones cover like he did for the Travesty.

Hmmmm, my bike seem to be taking on nautical names....hmmmm.....

Mike

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Mike, do you think the 1100F shocks are just used up?
I have used them twice on a CBX and liked the performance and the look.
Shiny petcock? You sir, have a problem. lol.

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

I don't think they are. Probably my lardness...lol.

I'll play some more with the CB1100f shocks.

Yeah, I like polishing. Results are immediate.....just a bear to keep all those parts polished.

Mike

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

CopperCollar wrote:I don't think they are. Probably my lardness...lol.

I'll play some more with the CB1100f shocks.

Yeah, I like polishing. Results are immediate.....just a bear to keep all those parts polished.

Mike
Have you checked the 1100f shocks to see if they are still charged by taking them off the bike and compressing them, if you hear a whoosh sound during rebound at least you know they still have a charge in them.

Return to “Project Threads”