Let's see your workshop

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Let's see your workshop

Post by EMS »

My garage does not qualify as a shop, at least not in the winter. I need the space for the cars, as I hate scratching ice and snow off the windows in the morning. There is only room for one bike, squeezed in the corner, in order to have one ready just in case the riding season starts earlier than usual.

The rest of the bikes are spread over a few locations. The majority of them fills the basement at home, which is usually used as a shop, but with the total number having reached 20 since last week - 2 of which, the Triton and the CB1300S fortunately reside in Germany – even the basement is too small and I have little room to do anything.

Fortunately, I have access to a large “shop” which I can use for projects and storage. I leave one of the cars and my sidecar rigs there, as well as anything I am working on in the winter.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Holy moley, Mike.
I think you need a shop boy. Pick me.
Never seen an R, GB or a K in person.

harvey
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by harvey »

Hey Mike, what are you hiding under the tarp with the foreign plates in the garage?
harvey

Ride Safe and Ride Often

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

harvey wrote:Hey Mike, what are you hiding under the tarp with the foreign plates in the garage?
First registered December 6, 1970. Automatic. Champaign Metallic over Beige Leather. "Fuchs" forged alloys. Serial-No 22774. One of the last ones of slightly less than 24,000 built.

harvey
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by harvey »

That is a nice collectable. I can see why you keep it under a tarp and probably don't drive it unless the day is sunny and over 60degrees.
harvey

Ride Safe and Ride Often

akinz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by akinz »

Here are a couple pictures of my garage. My first house, purchased about 5 years ago. Funny.... the first bit of work wasn't to the house itself. It was insulating then drywalling the garage... you know, priorities!! HAHA

Painted the motoGP mural on the garage door

After I painted the floor with Epoxy Shield. Turned out awesome, and the fact that you can just wipe up spills after without leaving any reminence is awesome!

A shot of the small entertainment center

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Kyle, how much work was it to do the floor, and what's it like traction-wise when wet?

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

akinz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by akinz »

NobleHops wrote:Kyle, how much work was it to do the floor, and what's it like traction-wise when wet?

N.
Hey Nils,
I used 2 kits, I received one for my birthday and purchased the other on sale for $75.

In terms of how much work.... quite a bit:

Cleared everything off the garage floor
scrubbed all oil stains and such with mineral spirits
wash down entire floor with pressure washer
keep area wet and mix included etching compound and spread over entire floor
let stand for a while and scrub entire floor with stiff bristle broom
pressure wash again... and let completely dry

I had the wife help me with the paint because you only have so long to lay it down, and by the time I cut in all the edges the wife was already quarter done which was nice.
You can add some traction compound which I did and also added the paint chips. I honestly find that the floor is LESS slippery then when it was just concrete.
The kicker is that you have to let it cure for two days before you can set anything heavy on it (cars, bikes, tool chests etc.)

I have spilled gas, oil, antifreeze on it and the floor still looks like new.
Plus I think it brightens things up. Definitely worth the time and money in my opinion.

Return to “Project Threads”