Suzuki RE5

The fun, the funny, the wacky, and the sublime. Off-topic, humor, whatever. Post it here!
Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Suzuki RE5

Post by Mouse »

I was at a local company doing some repair work today and got talking with the company engineer. He is planning to restore a 75 Suzuki RE5 motorcycle he was given recently. I had never heard of this bike and was surprised to learn that Suzuki built a water cooled Rotary engined motorbike. I have seen photo's (years ago) of the air cooled rotary by Hercules and I knew Norton did a rotary.
The Suzuki is an odd looking thing. Any one ever seen or had experience with the RE5?
D
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Suzuki RE5

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Tell him to start looking for spark plugs. They are difficult to come by and expensive.
There is one local to me that i see a couple times a summer. It has that goofy instrument pod cover that opens and closes.
It does have a unique, throaty exhaust tone.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

First year had funny gauges - second year was conventional. Never a big hit and very fiddly to work on. Not worth a whole lot even when sorted out.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

AMA Vintage Days at Mid-Ohio this year:

harvey
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by harvey »

Mike, thank you for the photos!

Weren't they called the "water buffalo" ? I guess Suzuki was just trying something .
harvey

Ride Safe and Ride Often

mhutton
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by mhutton »

harvey wrote:Mike, thank you for the photos!

Weren't they called the "water buffalo" ? I guess Suzuki was just trying something .
think that was the GT750 2T triple. AKA the Kettle in the UK.

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

Yup, the GT750 was the "Water Buffalo" on this side of the pond. First GT750 I ever saw was on the 401 in Toronto Ontario, very next day saw one on display at the Canadian Transport Museum in Ottawa.
Nice photo Mike, interesting to see three RE5's in one place.
I can't get over how goofy that pod looks, yet someone signed off on it. :shock:

mhutton
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by mhutton »

Mouse wrote: I can't get over how goofy that pod looks, yet someone signed off on it. :shock:
remember it was 1973/4...(I can :? )

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Mouse wrote:I was at a local company doing some repair work today and got talking with the company engineer. He is planning to restore a 75 Suzuki RE5 motorcycle he was given recently. I had never heard of this bike and was surprised to learn that Suzuki built a water cooled Rotary engined motorbike. I have seen photo's (years ago) of the air cooled rotary by Hercules and I knew Norton did a rotary.
The Suzuki is an odd looking thing. Any one ever seen or had experience with the RE5?
D
IMO he is in for a world of pain with that project, and he ought to shine it up, put it on a pedestal as a survivor, and leave it there. Restoring one of those makes a CBX look trivial, in terms of knowledge base, parts availability, and aftermaket. Oy.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

hey I remember seeing those back in the day, I forgot they were rotary...

I'm feeling very old now :(
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

nicholr
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by nicholr »

HA! Great commentary! 20 years ago I bought 3 wrecks and reduced them to two excellent runners. My RE5A (74) has been one of my daily riders for 15 years. It has the Buck rogers gauges and trim. My RE5M (75) was one of the bikes Suzuki reworked with Water Buffalo type gauges, signal lites and tail lite to hopefully attract some show room traffic. Didn't work. Suzuki lost their shirt on these bikes and in the end they pulled the plugged, destroyed all the tooling, parts and jigs and apparently dumped them into the sea (that's the rumour!!). Very complicated bike and EVERYTHING is built 'one of' for this machine. Looks like a GT 750 Le mans but it aint. Spark plug is a one of (I have a bunch), oil filters are a one of (I have a bunch), cdi black box is a one of (a have a few), five cable throttle cable is a one of (I have a few). Ignition trigger points are a one of (I have a few). You think CBX exhaust pipes are rare and expensive? Nawww. It is air, water and oil cooled. Runs REAL hot. It will give a water buffalo a run for it's money but it is 525 lbs heavy and very thirsty (25mpg). But it never fails to create a crowd. Sounds like crap but has a very cool electric like power curve. An acquired taste for sure.

Ron N
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Ron, thanks for the first-hand story.

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

:shock:
Ron, you may be a glutton for punishment. :lol:
Seriously nice job with the RE5 rebuild.

nicholr
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by nicholr »

Hi guys,
No question you have to be a special kind of disturbed to stay with these bikes. For me it was a test ride on one in the 80's in southern California that hooked me into having one. Few are interested in these things and the techs you encounter who used to 'have to' work on them run away screaming when you ask them questions. A wonderful exercise in reverse engineering for me to deconstruct (and learn them) and then reconstruct and ride them. One more sad line for my tombstone ......" he could make an RE5 run for more than a month at a time!". I'm getting chills just thinking about it. But if anyone wants any help or advice I have the special tools, manuals and a pretty good collection of spares. However I may be culling my herd of it all as I have \other' projects that are crying out for attention. To every thing, there is absolutely a season.

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

Hi Ron;
I'll be doing some more work where the guy who has the RE5 works next month. I'll let him know of your offer.

Return to “No Redeeming Value”