Why do you own a CBX

The fun, the funny, the wacky, and the sublime. Off-topic, humor, whatever. Post it here!
Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Why do you own a CBX

Post by Mouse »

Well this type of thread may have happened before but since I'm new here I'll ask it.
Why do you own a CBX?
I bought a CBX out of the southern U.S. a couple of years ago and had some issues with it.
I.m not faulting the seller in any way because moving anything from the warm humid south to the cooler dry Alberta Rockies is bound to cause issues.
I'm asking this because I've been asked by friends, family and co-workers.
"How much has it cost you with all the work you have had done on it?
Being leery of giving out the true cost I have some what low balled my answer and they have still been shocked.
"What?!, for that 36 yr old bike?"
Has been the usual comment.
"If you sold it will you get out of it what you put into it?"
Has been the next question. I never got that reaction to how much I spent when I modified a 69 Austin Mini I once owned.
I consider my bike a work in progress as I would like to take it in the direction that member "syscrush" apparently did with his a few years ago.( AWESOME job, syscrush.) This will nessassarily require more money, of course, so I won't be revealing just how much to others.
So, Why do I own a CBX?
As a 20 something in the 80's there was a 79 Candy Glory CBX in the town I lived that looked similar and no doubt sounded similar to the bike syscrush has. The look of that bike and the sound of that bike howling off into the distance on a warm summer night got into my phsyci. Had an 81 in the early 90's then sold it, moved across the country, life got it the way then 2 years ago just had to scratch that itch again.
So, Why do you own a CBX?
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Why do you own a CBX

Post by EMS »

:D :D Interesting question. I think there are 3 categories of owners:
- The ones who bought a CBX back when it was new. (and still have it)
- Those who always wanted one, never had one and now, finally bought one later in their life
- Those who discovered the CBX fairly recently, and consider it a collectors' item or a technical marvel

Reasons for ownership may be different for these 3 different categories.
Money should never be a consideration as far as getting out what you put in. You will not.

I bought my first CBX new in 1978 and still own it. It was a very emotional thing. Very similar to my HD FXST Springer and my Ducati 916. I saw it and wanted one very bad. Just that.
Other bikes I bought with a mix of emotion and reason. Not these three.

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

I fit in more than one of those categories. I saw one in a dealership back in 79, and only one since then, until I bought mine. I always wanted one, and bought it later in life, when I could afford it. That was 11 years ago, so you know what part of my life I am in. The other reason is that I am fascinated by the technical marvel it is.
SCH Rochester, MN

Mello
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Mello »

I probably fit into Mike's 3rd category.

I was 9 when the CBX came out, so grew up more with mid-80's Japanese bikes. Added to that, I was more a Kawa fan than Honda back then. My first big bike that I wanted was the GPZ900. Of course the Z1300 was the big Kawa bruiser I remember but secretly preffered the look of the CBX with the 6 header pipes in full view.

I remember the CBR1100XX (Blackbird) as the first big Honda that I really liked. A work colleague had one of the first in the country and I used to drool over this as I left work every day. After eventually owning one, I got to appreciate the Honda engineering more and more. Being an engineer, the technical complexity of the CBX appeals to me, but the look and the sound remain a major attraction. The CBX is very unique and visually different to anything of its era (or this for that matter) that even someone not familiar with the old bikes or the history will recognise the stand out features. This is also and attraction for me.
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." - Enzo Ferrari

gak1047
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by gak1047 »

I guess I have a new category. I bought my first CBX new, sold it years later, then bought another sometime after that.

I remember it was love at first sight. The day I saw the first Candy Glory Red CBX coming off the truck from our warehouse I vowed I would have one. It took almost a year to get it, but I bought the last red 79 that Rick Case had. I was 19 years old and had more money than sense. I went through more rear tires and clutches than an old women goes through instants at a bingo hall. I did this for several years until I got married. Then came the kids and suddenly I needed money for other things. The CBX was sold and I regretted it every day after that. Fast forward about 20 years and a mysterious e-mail to EMS, I found my next CBX. With a lot of help from Dave's 79, EMS, and Louis, I have been riding my Marrysville built bike, and plan on keeping it a long, long time.

Will I ever recoup the money I have in it? Probably not. But I didn't buy it as an investment. I bought it because I have always loved the looks, the feel, and the sound of the CBX. I really don't think you can put a dollar value on this.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Well, I don't know which category I fit into, perhaps I fall between the cracks:

Fall of 1991, I saw a custom Z-1000, early 1980s vintage. I already owned a CB-750 cafe that I'd hot-rodded, and had the itch to do a "big bike". Mentioned to my bride that the local Honda dealer had a pair of used '79s, red and silver, and that one might be the basis for another cafe build. She didn't say "no", but "NO". Yes dear.

So, imagine my surprise when on Christmas Eve, she presented me with the silver '79! You could have knocked me over with a feather. I still have it, and it's now yellow. After doing a lot of homework, I decided to leave it alone mechanically, and bought the Blackbird for going fast.

Oh, that same Christmas, I got her a cordless drill. :o
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

kap384
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kap384 »

Well, I'm a kid of the late 70's and '80's. My parents were into motorcycling, specifically Hondas. I poured over my Dad's bike magazines of the era endlessly. That's why I made the list of bikes I currently own. The first few on the list were technical marvels and milestone Hondas (at least to me). Well, first was my Dad's '77 CB750F2. If there was a more impressive Honda in the late 70's, (yes, I'm ignoring the DOHC bikes, but I prefer my Dad's Supersport), it was definitely the CBX. I was going to own one of those amazing machines one day, in Glory Red. Used to dream about having it parked beside the CB750. 2 sets of Comstars, 10 gleaming pipes, 2 gorgeous shades of red.

The next bike that caught my eye was the technological tour de force CX650T. Toured with my Dad, him on his Goldwing, me riding a GL650 Silverwing Interstate and I loved the torque and rideability of that driveline. Couldn't imagine it turbocharged. On the list it went.

Back to the magazines and the styling and the awesome little engine in the CB400F won me over. A red '75 please. Liked the idea of 3 Supersports too.

The next bike on the list came after I'd left home, gone to university and was working. It took until then to really discover and take note of the CB450 Black Bomber. My first bike, back on the farm was a 1965 Suzuki T10, 250 2 stroke, mix gas, (albeit with electric start and 12 V electrics). To think in the same year one could buy a DOHC Honda that screamed to 10,000 RPM and was a proper big bike? I had to have one.

So I wanted the CBX since I was in my early teens, and I finally pulled one out of the Southern US last year. Not currently running, but planning to rectify that this winter. The NOS pipes bolted onto it sold me.
1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber
1972 Honda CT70
1975 Honda MR50
1975 Honda CB400F Supersport
1977 Honda CB750F2 Supersport
1978 Honda XL100
1979 Honda CBX Supersport
1983 Honda CX650T
1995 Honda VFR750
2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin
1965 Suzuki T10
2015 KTM 200 XC-W

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

Thanks guy's for the replies.
Have a great weekend.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

when I saw the magazine articles(and I still have those magazines) about the new soon to arrive honda six I had to have one. I bought my Z in april of 78, Ive been in love with it longer than my wife. Unfortunately wife, mortgages and 4 kids have all conspired to keep me from consummating my love affair. Until now, my rebuild is near complete I hope to be back in the saddle again very soon, 35 years between rides is a long time. :violin:

It's an irrational attraction that requires stupid amounts of money to be thrown at it. My wife tolerates it because I gave it up for 35yrs and it keeps me busy.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Joner
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Joner »

I fall into the second of EMS categories.
When I collected my new 250cc Superdream from the showroom, there was a CBX parked next to it, I knew I would get one eventually.
Life got in the way for a number of years, but the smile on my face when riding my CBX makes the wait worth it.

Cheers
Chris J.
Grey-haired bikers don't get that way from pure luck.

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

wyly wrote:It's an irrational attraction that requires stupid amounts of money to be thrown at it. .
:laughing-rolling: please ... stop ... Whew! .... can ever relate to that.

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

Joner wrote:Life got in the way for a number of years
:roll: . I can relate to that as well.
I have resolved, finally, to no longer allow "Life" to get in the way of me living it as fully as possible. 8)

Michael Vidovic
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Michael Vidovic »

I was always impressed by the X from when it first came out. Was a little overawed by the complexity and power, so I played with other models. When I got the chance to collect a classic I was drawn to the 80CBX for sale in Melbourne. Went to see I was smitten. When it was started there was no turning back! I was happy, the Mrs was happy. Win win! It's been a year now and it is family now. Just love looking at it and hearing and then riding it. If opportunity and money meet I would love to get another. When I'm gone I hope my boys see what I saw in it and keep it in the family.
...always walk out of the room smarter than you walked in...

harvey
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by harvey »

My riding of motorcycles began in 1966 with a Honda Cub! I then went through a number of two strokes and gradually got larger bikes, but in 1982 a buddy at work rode his brand new 82 Prolink. I was in lust and stayed there for a number of years. Meanwhile I had graduated to a touring bike and had ridden to a number of rallies and such. At each it seemed there was a collection of the 81&82 CBX's that I continued to look at lustfully.

Finally in 1998, I already had two bikes, my Venture and my wife's Virago when I saw a 81 CBX for sale in the paper. Called the owner and arranged to go see the CBX. The wife was concerned when we pulled away from the house in our van towing the empty utility trailer. The seller took my check and the trailer was loaded for the trip home.

I have been riding an playing with it ever since. It has been on several week long trips but I admit I prefer my GL1800 for long hauls.

For years I wanted to add a 1980 CBX built in Marysville but never did. It would have been nice to have two bikes built in the same plant!

So I guess I am in category two!
harvey

Ride Safe and Ride Often

Towerguy
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Towerguy »

Because they are seriously cool and at full song they sound like sex! Is there anymore explanation needed than that?
David Frost

1980 Black CBX
1980 Black CBX (Project bike-in pieces)
1987 Yamaha FZR750R
2000 Honda XR650R
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 (Owned since high school)

Return to “No Redeeming Value”