help '69 cb750ko

The fun, the funny, the wacky, and the sublime. Off-topic, humor, whatever. Post it here!
kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

help '69 cb750ko

Post by kbart1 »

hey guys

this is not a cbx question however I know a lot of you have several bikes and are very knowledgeable about other models. I have an opportunity to purchase a '69 Honda cb750k0. it has been bastardized and pretty much what's usable is the frame and the motor. owner is pretty sure its the original motor but the bike is buried in stuff and could not get in close enough to see the eng. serial number. the frame # is 1021567. somebody put extended forks on it in the 70's and changed the wheels etc. the finned side covers are there for example which was '69 only. tank is correct but fenders missing that kind of thing. all the controls on the bars are not correct for example. I know there are lots of places to buy re-pop parts for these things and there is always e-bay. my questions is this. even though a '69 cb750k0 would be a pretty collectable bike I would think, after you added all the re-pop or e-bay parts would it still be worthwhile taking on this project? I would love your opinon before I make my decision. forgot to mention he is asking 700.00 for it.

thx a lot!
kent

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: help '69 cb750ko

Post by EMS »

Kent:

I can speak from experience. I bought a 1976 CB750K'76 for $150.-

I think $700.- for a 1969 is a great price and it will be worth going for it.
I am a little concerned about the high serial number of the frame. I don't think they got to 21000 bikes in 1969, but I have some data at home and will check this tonight.
The whole thing depends on what your objective is. Do you want to restore it as close to original and authentic or do you want to have a nice bike that you want to own and ride?

Many parts are still available NOS for the SOHC 750. Stuff for the earlier years, through K2, is more expensive than parts for later years, Although they would fit.

You can get all body parts, including fenders, seats, exhaust, switchgear, chrome pieces etc , but they will cost you. But then consider, that a well-restored 1969 with NOS parts will be worth around $15,000.-

After buying the following parts NOS: tank, sidecovers, exhaust (341) seat, fenders, handlebars, rear wheel, chrome rail, cylinder and pistons, switches, levers, idiot lights, speedo, tach, wiring harness, all engine covers, clutch, cables, turn signals, and small pieces like bolts and nuts and breakers, I am in the bike with around $ 5,000.-. After I put everything together, I may not get that out, although it may be close.
I am not sure if I will sell the bike, I have to wait until I get the motor together and see what it does. If I do not finish the project, I will sell all the NOS parts and as I have worked on this thing and accumulated parts for 12 years(!!!!) , the parts are significantly more expensive now than they were when I bought them.
I can easily get $7,500.- out of everything, selling it in pieces.

EDIT: A quick call to a friend, who is more of a SOHC expert than I am, confirms that your serial number is 1969.
Last edited by EMS on Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

that's awesome info and such a fast response. I love our site. this seller actually has 2 bikes for sale and I bumped into him while I was riding my X yesterday. he also has a somewhat cafe'd '81 cbx that my buddy is interested in. both bikes claim to run when parked 7-8 years ago and usual carb story now so sort of a crap shoot. the actual deal he wants to do is 3000.00 for the cbx and cb750 and a spare rack of carbs for the cbx and a '79-80 cbx tank. he had a basement full of stuff and is moving soon so although when talking to him yesterday he wasn't thinking of selling but then saw the light when I asked if he'd sell them. he said separately he'd do 2500.00 for the X and 700.00 for the cb750 or 3k firm for the bundle.

thx
Kent

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Kent, this is the go-to site for SOHC stuff.

http://forums.sohc4.net/

A good crew, maybe a little slower to thaw to new folks than here and a little cliquey, but just as strong a community and more activity by far.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “No Redeeming Value”