1986 honda vf1000r POSSIBLY

The fun, the funny, the wacky, and the sublime. Off-topic, humor, whatever. Post it here!
kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

1986 honda vf1000r POSSIBLY

Post by kbart1 »

hey guys

as we are in the dead of winter now and there seems to be no hope of riding anytime soon my thoughts have turned to another project, POSSIBLY. this is not CBX related however i thought with the number of bike guys here someone might chime in. i am pondering a 1986 honda vf1000r for a project. i do not know a lot about these bikes except they were V4's and had "gear driven cams". from what I've read the '86 is the one you want. anybody out there have any history or advise on what to look for AND AVOID if a guy was looking for one of these? i have my eye on one that the owner says "looks and runs great", where have i heard that before!!!! haven't had a chance to go see it yet and was hoping to gather some pointers before i went.

thanks a lot!
kent

gak1047
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 1986 honda vf1000r POSSIBLY

Post by gak1047 »

I have never owned one but have looked at several to purchase for myself. Unfortunately they have always been out of my price catagory. I think it is one of Honda's best looking motorcycles. It seems a lot of them I have looked at have issues with the body work. Almost everyone of them had cracks in the area of the rear view mirrors and turn signals. The motors seem to hold up well and they run fantastic. The first time I rode one I was amazed at how smooth it was at speeds twice the legal limit. I hope if you decide to purchase it you will post photos. Good luck!

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Kent, lots of info here. http://honda.vf1000.com/

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

thanks guys

i don't know if it's the winter months or what but i am really missing my bike fix so i am looking around. on the CBX front i was building mine as more of a day rider / no bags, but my buddies all said the bike SHOULD have the bags on it so they are going in for paint soon. had all the brackets etc. re chromed and bags and hardware will be done soon. amazing how fast all this stuff adds up, i could have bought another bike for the same money! i know i know, this post is worthless without pics! when the bits are all back i will post some! i figure 8 more weeks until riding again (the cbx). i may insure the wing in a month or so, YAHOO!

kent

Return to “No Redeeming Value”