Trip to Maine

The fun, the funny, the wacky, and the sublime. Off-topic, humor, whatever. Post it here!
EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Trip to Maine

Post by EMS »

As Nils mentioned elsewhere, we were "goofing off" in Maine for a week on the motorcycles (2,700 mile trip). While there is no real CBX content (other than both Greg and I are CBX owners), I want to share some pics with you.
One of the highlights, besides eating Lobstah for lunch and dinner, was a whale watching trip.
We got really close to a Humpback. He (or she) actually dove on one side of the boat and resurfaced on the other..

And this picture, I thought, was cool. Cindy shot it over my shoulder while riding through Acadia park, following Greg and Pam on their GSA.
On the original size, you can see the details on the GPS and read the numbers on the instrument panel...

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Trip to Maine

Post by NobleHops »

How did you guys enjoy Acadia, and Bar Harbor? Was it overrun with other tourists, or not too bad? And did you make it to Jordon Pond house for lunch?

C'mon Mike, surely you've got more of a trip report in you than THAT, don't you? :-) How was the K1600 for a long-distance mount?

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

NobleHops wrote: C'mon Mike, surely you've got more of a trip report in you than THAT, don't you? :-) N.

O.K. then!
We really enjoyed Acadia. So much that we seriously consider going again next year. Only drawback is, that we will not be able to stop on the way in a neat little harbour town and have someone buy lunch.... 8)

Mt Desert Island and Acadia were not overrun. There was some tourist traffic, but it was fairly moderate. Some locals were saying that business was too light.
We had our base in Bangor and travelled from there.
The very first day, we explored Bar Harbor a little on foot in the morning until our boat departured for the whale hunt at 1:00 p.m. We had lunch at Testa's. - We never made it to the Jordon Pond House.

After the whale watching tour, we followed the recommendation from the trolley ticket salesman to a Bar Harbor Lobster place - bad choice. The guy cooked the poor thing too long and it ended up tough.

The next day, we explored Acadia. Rode the Park Loop Road and up Cadillac Mountain with a spectacular view of Bar Harbor and the bay and afterwards to Bass Harbor and the lighthouse.

On the way back to the hotel, we stopped at a roadside Lobster shack we had passed on the way in, and that became our preferred stop for feasting on the crustacean.

The last day, we took Rte 1 East/North all the way to Lubec, the easternmost town in the U.S. We went on a loop to Winter Harbor and Schoodic Point, another loop to Jonestown and finally to West Quoddy Lighthouse.
Staying on this part of Rte 1 and avoiding the busier Western part between Acadia and Portland made the trip really enjoyable. I was amazed how many treasures you can see by the side of the road in this remote area. Antique cars, trucks and boats, of course..

In spite of concerns, The K16 performed flawless. It was comfortable and has ample luggage capacity with the topcase mounted. Using the ESA in the 2-up and Comfort mode provided a great ride with excellent feedback. I still don't know how to categorize this bike. Considering the enormous performance and roll-on throttle response together with the outstanding handling, I hesitate to call it a tourer. It is a sporty performance bike with serious touring qualities Something the Prolink CBX aspired to be 30-some years ago. The only negative for me is the extreme weight manhandling (pushing) the bike. Then again, I don't do that much and I learned to park it in a way that made going off easy.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Excellent report, and photos! Thank you!

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Nice pics.

Goss
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Goss »

Very good, looks like fun.

Regards

Goss
Onboard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqWSsdKtd64
Bike http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofjFhEd3

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Wicked cool pics, Mike.
Fresh lobstah...excellent!

barryadam
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by barryadam »

That is so cool.
Thanks for sharing with us, Mike.

Barry

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

Excellent* stuff Mike, and 'that' BMW !!!
Thanks for sharing
Aris

*Excellent, provided you are not a lobster :laughing-rollingyellow:
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

Looks like an excellent trip! Super weather, good people, and a 6 cylinder bike. How can you go wrong? Not to mention some beautiful country to ride through.

Thanks for the write up.

Steve
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

gak1047
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by gak1047 »

I can tell you one thing. That 1600 sounds awesome when he has it wound up! Fortunately Mike let me lead most of the time, otherwise he would have left me in the dust!

Return to “No Redeeming Value”