1979 CBX still in original honda crate

The fun, the funny, the wacky, and the sublime. Off-topic, humor, whatever. Post it here!
kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

1979 CBX still in original honda crate

Post by kbart1 »

here's a fun one for you.

i have a friend who claims to know a guy that has a '79 CBX still in the original Honda crate, never assembled! it is in Canada so i would say it is a Canadian bike???? i offered to buy it from him for several grand, good luck. i even offered to help him put it together if he ships it out to the west coast, he's now in Vancouver but the bikes in Toronto apparently. i would consider this a "rare find".

Kent

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 1979 CBX still in original honda crate

Post by EMS »

kbart1 wrote: i would consider this a "rare find".

Kent

Naa, it's worth nothing. The effort to take it out of the crate and getting it in the road to ride it, is in no relation to the return you are getting. Only after it has been ridden for a couple of thousand miles and properly broken in, will it be worth something. As I am closer to Toronto than you are, tell the guy I will take it off his hands for a small fee.

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

sure thing! :laughing-rolling:

i already tried that :(

silversurfer1050
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by silversurfer1050 »

Did he tell you about this on April first?

:teasing-poke:

:text-worthless:
A woman at 20 is like ice, at 30 she is warm and at 40 she is hot.

(Gina Lollobrigida)

hambson
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by hambson »

While you lot were messing about making daft replies to each other i got in
i was out in canada to see an old pal from england and manage to get this crate off the guy for $80 canadian dollars as the bike was old we hacked it up and dumped it in local lake. HHe was having bbq that weekend so packing case went for fire wood at bbq !
so whos the mugs now ha ha !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wilo :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Hey Wilo, welcome to the site.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

silversurfer1050
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by silversurfer1050 »

hambson wrote:While you lot were messing about making daft replies to each other i got in
i was out in canada to see an old pal from england and manage to get this crate off the guy for $80 canadian dollars as the bike was old we hacked it up and dumped it in local lake. HHe was having bbq that weekend so packing case went for fire wood at bbq !
Yer! ...pics or it didn't happen.
:P
A woman at 20 is like ice, at 30 she is warm and at 40 she is hot.

(Gina Lollobrigida)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

silversurfer1050 wrote:
hambson wrote:While you lot were messing about making daft replies to each other i got in
Yer! ...pics or it didn't happen.
:P
The thread is 2½ years old and the pics have faded.... 8)

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

z
Last edited by wyly on Tue May 08, 2018 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Michael Vidovic
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Michael Vidovic »

Rumour has it that the crate in question started in Australia and we are still trying to figure out how it got to Canada! Methinks some Canadians in Australia did a shifty. Anyway just to restore the balance can we have the crate back?
...always walk out of the room smarter than you walked in...

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

all right boys

just to tempt you further..... I was the guy that started this post. the guy who told me about this is a good riding buddy of mine who plays hockey in an old-timers league with the owner of the crate/bike in question. I recently met the fellow at my buddies 60th birthday bash. he is a Japanese fellow that bought the bike new in the crate and it has sat in his mothers garage in the Toronto area since then. I asked what he was going to do with it and he replied when he turned 65 he was going to ride it! I obviously asked if he wanted to sell it and played it down but I think he gathers what he has. there is a motorcycle museum up in a town called Sorrento bc (dreamcycles) that was talking to him about displaying it and would just lift the cardboard cover off "half way". I know pics or it didn't happen but this bike in question would be just too damn cool. believe me I am trying to get a pic for ya. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

thx
kent

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Z
Last edited by wyly on Tue May 08, 2018 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

A legit '0' mile red '79 sold at Barber a year ago (2013) for $35K. For the real collectors, that is chump change. But at least that gives a perspective on a crated one.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

It is really rare to see a crated bike of any model. Bikes are being uncrated by dealers before they are being sold to the public. You have to be a dealer or at least have really good connections to one to get your hands on a crated bike.
There is a set-up process involved that dealers are supposed to do by contract with the manufacturer, before they can sell a bike. In most cases, crate bases go back to the manufacturer.
I have seen dealerships going bankrupt and crated bikes went back to the manufacturer or were taken out and properly prepped before they were sold by the banks.
I have seen one CBX in the crate and the origin of that was shrouded in mystery. :think:

Louis
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Louis »

EMS wrote:It is really rare to see a crated bike of any model. Bikes are being uncrated by dealers before they are being sold to the public. You have to be a dealer or at least have really good connections to one to get your hands on a crated bike.
There is a set-up process involved that dealers are supposed to do by contract with the manufacturer, before they can sell a bike. In most cases, crate bases go back to the manufacturer.
I have seen dealerships going bankrupt and crated bikes went back to the manufacturer or were taken out and properly prepped before they were sold by the banks.
I have seen one CBX in the crate and the origin of that was shrouded in mystery. :think:
I bought A 80 in a crate many years ago from a dealer in Long Island did not even see it in person. Only photos and sold it the same way. Then it went for $15K and I think it was about 13 years ago. I bet they are still out there somewhere?

Return to “No Redeeming Value”