A Lethal Case of Spring Fever

The fun, the funny, the wacky, and the sublime. Off-topic, humor, whatever. Post it here!
cbx6ss
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

A Lethal Case of Spring Fever

Post by cbx6ss »

So I pull into the local dealer yesterday for a set pf rear pads, and a stunning sight simply took my breath away...
A lethal case of spring fever overtook me...
There in the line of PO bikes FS, was a bone stock (except for the Vance & Hines 4into1) black 79 CB750F (you know, a CBX minus two cylinders)! Musta walked around the bike 10 times, raking in every little detail. It seems (to me) to be in fantastic completely original shape; very well taken care of. I asked the rep to fire it up, and the growl was captivating. "$2,995 takes it!"... I was thinking to myself, "This is the perfect bike for my cafe project!" Then I thought about trying to "sell" the idea of a second bike to my wife... I walked around it another ten times... Then went home...
/r
B

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Re: A Lethal Case of Spring Fever

Post by Rick Pope »

Brad, You are pasing an oppotunity. Bring it home and tell her it's for her. Of course, if she's a non-rider, it may be a difficult sale. But you're right, those are great bikes.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

:D :D :D My take on this: Too nice (and too expensive) to turn into a cafe racer. And too expensive for a 750 DOHC F. With prices somewhat down, for that kind of money you easily get a CB1100F. And that's what you would want, I think.

oilheadron

Post by oilheadron »

I agree totally EMS. My new '81 was actually somewhat of a letdown after all the great press the 750F got, but I do believe that the '79 might have handled a little better even with the earlier shocks (my old engineer's eyeball makes me think that the original Comstars might have been a little more rigid than the reversed spoke versions). Still, beautiful useful bikes they definitely are.

Mike Cecchini
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Mike Cecchini »

I think you jut might have somethng there Ron....... wheels flexing to unsettle things with our X's.

Someday I hope to get around to installing a set of Marchesini mags I found for X's some 8-10 yrs ago. The seller swore they would drop right on my 80......but not so.....so I have to get all into the project to see exactly what spacers and shims I need to make them fit properly.

I can't wait to get rid of these oem boat anchor wheels......but I'll paint the Marchesini's to look like original wheels as I really like their looks.

$.02
It's not what you ride.....it's how you ride.

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

I've had an 1100F and didn't care for it. I kinda like the 750. Get the 750, tell your wife your working on it for someone (excuse to improve wheels/brakes) and then tell her you're keeping it until the owner can pay for the modification work. Keep it for a couple years then sell it. Use some of the profits to convince your wife you were paid and the rest to buy another (if you liked it). And don't let her know about this web site.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

silversurfer1050
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by silversurfer1050 »

cbx6ss wrote:So I pull into the local dealer yesterday for a set pf rear pads, and a stunning sight simply took my breath away...
A lethal case of spring fever overtook me...
There in the line of PO bikes FS, was a bone stock (except for the Vance & Hines 4into1) black 79 CB750F (you know, a CBX minus two cylinders)! Musta walked around the bike 10 times, raking in every little detail. It seems (to me) to be in fantastic completely original shape; very well taken care of. I asked the rep to fire it up, and the growl was captivating. "$2,995 takes it!"... I was thinking to myself, "This is the perfect bike for my cafe project!" Then I thought about trying to "sell" the idea of a second bike to my wife... I walked around it another ten times... Then went home...
/r
B
You've got a great idea. I watched long enough and picked up a basket case CB750F that would be worthy of doing a cafe' - $200. I personally want to do something more as stock.

Keep looking - think of possibilities though. Leave the nice ones alone, it would be watseful. I have friend who did a Eddie Lawson green CB900F. He kept the nice original parts so he can put it back to stock if he wants.

My $.02

:-)
A woman at 20 is like ice, at 30 she is warm and at 40 she is hot.

(Gina Lollobrigida)

Return to “No Redeeming Value”