Did a dumb thing today

The fun, the funny, the wacky, and the sublime. Off-topic, humor, whatever. Post it here!
Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Did a dumb thing today

Post by Rick Pope »

Well, every so often, I do something really stupid. Today was one of of those days. I decided to take a ride through the hills of Northern Kentucky, and go visit a friend and fellow ICOA member, Don Cecconi, who happens to work at a motorcycle shop, as part of his retirement from corporate life. He sells Indian, Polaris Slingshot, and Motus. So after a nice ride through the hills, I get to his shop and he offers me a "test ride" on the Motus. Dumb, dumb.......... I said yes.

Lets just say the Motus has all the character of my Moto Guzzi Griso, with the arm stretching power of the CBR-XX, while being the most comfortable, natural feeling bike, I've ever planted my butt upon. My only nits were too much info on the dash display, and reluctant down shifting at low speeds. If you ever get the chance to ride one, DO NOT DO IT, unless you have extreme will power.

Now, which bikes do I sell to get the $30k together before Christmas..............?
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Did a dumb thing today

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

You kids will never learn.
Keep the bikes and sell some body parts instead.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

I've said that more than afew times, Rick: If I had $30big, that's the bike I would likely buy. Drooled over it, again, at barber this past weekend. (Home of the Motus!) Now, go take deep breaths, pour a preferred beverage and light a good Cuban! :D
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Lessee...If I give up cigars I can save a few hundred a year. I wonder what the insurance is? My rate was to be $700/yr on the Griso, but I changed companies. It's still twice what the XX is.

Who was it that said, "I can afford any motorcycle I want, just not EVERY motorcycle." Even if I can afford it, but my hand won't write numbers that big if it doesn't earn me money.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Maybe your hand just needs better training, Rick!! :lol:
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Rick:
here is a little viewpoint.
A fiend of mine and business associate has a Motus. I rode the bike a couple of times. The power is impressive. The styling is a matter of taste. It has a lot of "look-at-me" features, which draw attention. The red valve covers, the exhaust headers and the price tag. All of it makes a great show(-off) effect that some people look for.
What I cannot get used to is the weird sensation that the unusual firing order creates. It is not my idea of a smooth bike and not at the other end of the spectrum of the rumble of a great classic twin. I guess using some of the design parameters of a Detroit V-6 and trying to pack these into a V-4 has its price.
Finally: My friend is a serious motorcycle enthusiast and owns 25-some bikes. The Motus is one, he said, he would not buy again.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Mike,

The red valve covers indicate he bought the "R" version, with all the carbon fibre pieces, and a $9k higher price tag. The more pedestrian version, at "only" $31k, and in black, wouldn't draw nearly so much attention. But, we ride CBXs. We're used to being in the spotlight. :-)
Rick Pope

Return to “No Redeeming Value”