any tips on selling on internet?

The fun, the funny, the wacky, and the sublime. Off-topic, humor, whatever. Post it here!
wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

any tips on selling on internet?

Post by wyly »

I need to sell my vintage MX bike and I'm somewhat intimidated by the process of using the internet. I'm comfortable doing it in person where someone hands you the cash and they take the bike. But my market for locals is small and I likely won't get the best fair price.

Ebay has it's horror stories as do other websites.

What's the safest method , what should I be wary of ? what are common mistakes? Best payment method, MO, paypal?

I suck at selling things . :(
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: any tips on selling on internet?

Post by tevan »

In my opinion a bank transfer is the safest. PayPal works too but there are fees. Cash is king in my book if they are going to pick the bike up themselves. I would not take a check or even a money order. People are making fake money orders on there printer at home. The only safe money order in the states is a United States postal money order. Good luck with your sale.

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

What you got? What condition? What you asking? :-)
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

'76 AW440Maico

not sure what it's worth, I'm still trying to determine that, I do know it's worth more in Europe than here. It needs some work, it only runs for a short while, not sure what the problem is.

Here's a link to a UK mx forum where I posted a picture.

http://forums.mxtrax.co.uk/showthread.p ... w440-maico
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

Thank Wyly
I know a guy who's into old Brit MX bikes. I'll pass the info on and see if he's maybe interested.

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

wyly wrote:I
Ebay has it's horror stories as do other websites.
What's the safest method , what should I be wary of ? what are common mistakes? Best payment method, MO, paypal?
:(
Having never sold anything online and hopefully never will, I'd say Paypal . Yup they got fee's but I think they are your best bet. I paid Mike Nixon for his carb work that way. I have a buddy who does online sales and he uses email money transfers, but they have limits.
Good luck

Return to “No Redeeming Value”