What to look for when buying an '81...?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
nomorefours
New Member & Happy To Be Here

What to look for when buying an '81...?

Post by nomorefours »

Hi, All

My first post...I put a deposit on a pristine looking '81 CBX yesterday. :lol:

The bike is in California, and I am in Canada. So far I have only seen pics. It has 20,000 miles, and is bone stock except for a Corbin seat.

It's getting inspected by an independant third party (a motorcycle mechanic who has previously owned a CBX) over the next few days.

As far as I can tell the overall condition of the bike is an 8 or 9 out of 10, with only extremely minor cosmetic blemishes. As far as I know it is presently running and roadworthy, not needing any carb work, etc.

I am a very experienced motorcyclist, riding instructor, and mechanic, but I have never owned a CBX (although I have ridden one...hence finally buying one!), and I am buying this one from a distance. I have to rely on the pictures, plus whatever the inspecting meachanic can tell me, to guide my final purchase decision.

So - my question for you, new friends, is this:

What should I ask the mechanic to look for when inspecting this bike?

:shock:

I am familiar (and so is he, I am sure) with all the standard things to check on a 26 year old bike, but I would appreciate hearing about anything CBX specific that should be checked given the bike's year and mileage.

Thanks for any tips or suggestions you can provide... :D

Doug

(aka nomorefours)

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Hello & welcome to the site Doug...... :thumupp:

Some of the problems that are intrinsic to the 81 CBX 6 are the charging system & carburetor synchronization. I'm sure the other guys can add...

I forgot to add.... The oil pump strainer tends to clog, drop the sump plate & inspect. If it is clogged, be prepared for accelerated bearing wear....
I checked mine recently & found it was clean but I put that down to the use of full synthetic lube....
ICOA # 656

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Welcome to the site Doug.
Where in Canada are you?
The only '81 i have owned had a Fox Twin Clicker rear shock installed. As far as i know it was for a performance upgrade as opposed to a maintainence issue. In reading past posts it seems to have been a popular change. MAYBE have a look there.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Welcome Doug! Other than what the gentlemen have already mentioned and what the mechanic will look for anyway, the only thing I can think of is the rear Prolink suspension linkage. It needs regular lubrication to remain in good shape.

cbx4evr
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by cbx4evr »

Is that the one that was / is on eBay???

I know of a very nice 82 available in Edmonton.
"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "

nomorefours

What to look for - thanks for all your help!

Post by nomorefours »

Hi, All

Thanks so much for all your suggestions.

I will pass these along to the inspecting mechanic.

If all goes well, I will driving down to pick up the bike during the week following Labour Day.

To answer your questions, no it is not on eBay. I live in Victoria BC, on Vancouver Island.

Hey - I have another question.

This bike looks really pristine, but it has a silver engine. Other '81 or '82 models I have seen seem to all have black engines.

Is it possible this came with a silver engine, or is this an indication it is not the original engine?

If it is not original, other than questions about mileage, should I be concerned as long as runs properly?

Do you think this devalues the bike if it is otherwise perfect?

Thanks again,

Doug

nomorefours

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

The engine number will tell one or two of us ( not moi) what year the engine is. It could be a 79/80 or been painted by a previous owner.... Guessing, it has most likely been repainted.....As for being devalued, it's a rider so I wouldn't worry too much about that...... :wink:

Again, welcome & enjoy....... 8)
Last edited by alimey4u2 on Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ICOA # 656

nomorefours

One more question

Post by nomorefours »

Hi, again

Two more questions:

Since I am looking for a collectible bike, if the silver engine in this '81 I am looking at is NOT original, I am inclined to keep looking for a different bike unless the seller would consider a signficant reduction in price.

1) I have a line on another VERY low mileage '81 that also looks fantastic - say 9.5 out of 10 - for more money. The concern with this one is it is an ex-school bike. The seller told me this, and assured me this is one of the few that has a clean title - apparently the previous owner has an inside connection at Honda to help clear the title.

What do you think? If I search the title (Carfax) and it comes up clean, do I still need to worry?

2) One of you mentioned another low mileage clean bike for sale. If any of you know of any others, please let me know details...I am looking for a grey '81 or '82 in as close to mint condition as possible, but I am not paying $12k for it...$7500 max, preferably more like $5k - $6k. No white bikes please, I prefer the grey colour.

Thanks again,

:)

Doug

nomorefours

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

1979 and 1980 engines are silver. 1981 and 1982 were black.

The engine could have been stripped of its paint and repainted silver.

If it is a 1981, the engine serial number should be easily visible behind the fifth cylinder (on the right side of the bike as you sit on it).
The correct 1981 engine number will begin with SC03E 23..... and should be higher than 2300060. 1982 engines numbers begin with SC03E 24....

Just to be complete: 1980 engine numbers begin with SC03E..20...
1979 engine numbers begin with CB1E...
If the number is not stamped behind the fifth cylinder, it has either been removed or is on top of the primary drive housing (difficult to see) and in this case will be a serial number below CB1E 2017400 (or so) which was prior to the relocation of the serial number.

A "school bike" can officially not have a clear title. The reason many do, is the different State title offices do no longer have records of what was going on with these things and people use that loop-hole by applying for a title. When a title search is done with the VIN number and no record of the bike ever stolen or wrecked comes up, the respective BMV will issue a new title. ( I have a bike that got a title this way - not a CBX, though)
Honda donated these bikes to vocational schools and received a tax credit.
The stipulation was that these machines would never be used for road going purposes. The steering head would have to be removed when vehicles were sold or disposed of otherwise. Due to the fact that this was 25 years ago and nobody knows or cares about it anymore, I see no problem with a school bike having a title. I do doubt, however, that Honda knowingly would help anybody getting a title for a school bike, even if you have connections. Besides, it is not really necessary.

Oh, and btw, 1982 bikes were all white. 1981s were silver (grey)

nomorefours

Hey, you guys are awesome - THANKS!!

Post by nomorefours »

Hi, All

Thank you SO much for your informative replies to my post.

This lead me to realize the bike I was looking at, as pristine as it is, is a 1981 model with a 1979 engine.

Since I am looking for something completely original, I backed out of the deal, and got my deposit refunded.

Other than the mismatched engine, this is a very clean looking bike, and the seller, Gary, has been a gentleman to deal with.

If anyone else is interested in this bike, here is the ad:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/395152519.html

Meanwhile, I am now trying to sort out details on the ex-school bike, making sure the title is free and clear...cross your fingers... :roll:

Cheers,

Doug

nomorefours

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Re: Hey, you guys are awesome - THANKS!!

Post by Chris »

nomorefours wrote:Meanwhile, I am now trying to sort out details on the ex-school bike, making sure the title is free and clear...cross your fingers... :roll:

Cheers,

Doug

nomorefours
The Craigslist bike also had an early model speedo (not correct for an '81).

Let us know if you have questions about the school bike. :)

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I guess I weigh in on this one, too. First, thanks Mike for the complete description of the engine codes. Second, I'd be very suspicious of any school bike that was advertised as 'mint'. I've seen several of them and heard of many others, and there was never a body part or set of pipes on any of them that was not scratched, gouged, or otherwise imperfect. I'd not be afraid of the concept of titling a school bike, but I'd be amazed if it was in pristine condition.
As to price for a 'mint' or 'pristine' late model, I guess that's in the eye of the beholder, but to many of us, a really excellent original bike is worth more than the $7500 you're talking. The one I have in my family room will sit there forever until I can get at least 10K for it. And it is a 5K mile truly mint bike.
There are lots of nice riders out there for your price range, and if you can snag a really, really nice one for that, more power to you, it just won't be mine! (It's white anyway). Good luck.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Excellent point about the potential condition of the school bikes, Dave. No doubt the repeated disassembly and reassemby of parts and components will leave marks.
I must admit though, I have seen two of them in mint condition. They had been in a school and had never been worked on. Then again, of course, they had been sitting for 25 years...:roll:

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Chris »

daves79x wrote:The one I have in my family room will sit there forever

Dave
I keep trying to talk my wife into letting me put one of my X's in our family room or at least in the rec room area. :)

I bought a set of pipes from a guy that had a pristine '79 (with about 5000 miles) in his rec room.

She's not going for it. :(

nomorefours

Maybe this one is the exception...

Post by nomorefours »

Hi, All

Thanks again for your helpful comments.

I have uploaded the three pics I have so far of the bike.

I have paid a deposit, contingent upon an inspection, but this appears to be legitimate.

Who can imagine how or why, but it seems this particular school bike was NOT taken apart, wheelied through the gymnasium, used to do burnouts on the soccer pitch, dropped off the workbench, or left out in the lawnmower shed.

Somebody bought it from the school in the early or mid nineties, and titled it but never rode it. Stored in his garage.

The present owner bought it in 2002 with 4.8 miles on it, made the changes immediately (Kerker pipes, fairing and bags removed, braided lines, fork brace, K&N filters), safely stored all the brand new stock parts, and has had 5 strokes since then...not much riding. Present mileage 1,096.

All mint stock parts are included.

I completely understand the issues with school bikes in general...but if this is the real thing (the mint bike it appears to be), I will be thrilled!

Anything else I should watch out for or ask the mechanic to check during the inspection?

Thanks!

:P

Doug

nomorefours

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”