Canadian Candy Glory Red

dohc24
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Canadian Candy Glory Red

Post by dohc24 »

I don't post much, but this subject is killing me. As an Ontario, Canada resident looking to repaint my 80 CBX back to its original candy glory red, I'm bamboozled by the number of paint codes, suppliers, painters, PRICES and ideas for trying to match the color. I would like to match as closely as possible without shelling out $500 US to Color Rite just for the paint. I have a good and trusted paint shop here, have known and dealt with the owner for years, am happy with his previous work, but have no sample for him to scan as I've had this bike since 1982 and this will be its fourth and (probably) final coat (I had a painter do Chinese dragons on the tank in the 80's :D ) I've heard candy apple red with a silver base coat comes pretty close, or that Chrysler inferno red is not bad either. I have NOS tank badges and a repop kit of decals. I'm about to let him go at it on his own at this point. Any fellow Canadian CBX owners have an easy cost effective solution for me? I'm willing to spend good money to get it right but refuse to pay more than $1,000.
:arrow:

dohc24
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Canadian Candy Glory Red

Post by dohc24 »

Any ideas on BASF or Dupont paints that may fit the bill?

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I have no idea of the cost/availability of these materials in Canada if purchased today.
Just giving some more info to add to your confusion.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4780&p=32765&hilit ... led#p32765

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Any red will be one of most difficult colors to paint/match. I have a friend who has two body shops and they use a PPG paint analyzer to determine and properly match paint. Still, sometimes it will not work exactly.

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

The candy red used on Ford trucks is very close but, Color-Rite is the match. Use their colors, choose your own clear.

This one pictured is done in their materials by me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

Here's a photo of a NOS tank for comparison. I bought it about a year ago. Removed from the original box, never in the sun, still had the foil seal on the fuel filler. BTW, it's the first one I've ever seen where the upper and lower stripes met at the front.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

dohc24 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:48 pm
I don't post much, but this subject is killing me. As an Ontario, Canada resident looking to repaint my 80 CBX back to its original candy glory red, I'm bamboozled by the number of paint codes, suppliers, painters, PRICES and ideas for trying to match the color. I would like to match as closely as possible without shelling out $500 US to Color Rite just for the paint. I have a good and trusted paint shop here, have known and dealt with the owner for years, am happy with his previous work, but have no sample for him to scan as I've had this bike since 1982 and this will be its fourth and (probably) final coat (I had a painter do Chinese dragons on the tank in the 80's :D ) I've heard candy apple red with a silver base coat comes pretty close, or that Chrysler inferno red is not bad either. I have NOS tank badges and a repop kit of decals. I'm about to let him go at it on his own at this point. Any fellow Canadian CBX owners have an easy cost effective solution for me? I'm willing to spend good money to get it right but refuse to pay more than $1,000.
Reminds me of a phrase I heard a long time ago:

Everyone wants to go to heaven but, no one wants to die.

See my other posts that might help you decide.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

JR - this is one of the later replacement tanks that came from a batch that were striped wrong. I've seen a couple of those also. The later 'jobbers' Honda used got a couple of batches of the tanks wrong. The lower stripe is usually too high as a result.

Dave

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Any red paint will cost nearly that much. It's the most expensive color. You may as well get the Color-Rite and be done with it.

Dave

dohc24
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by dohc24 »

Lol Steve, for sure.
Decided to go with base and mid from VMR paints.com. $280 Canadian all in shipping included. Though my painter will use his clear coat and I'll have to pay him for his work. I'm doing the prep work and getting the decals for him (another $130). But I'll bet the total is under budget. I'll let you guys know how it turned out and put up some pics. Thanks for all the help!

dohc24
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by dohc24 »

Just a quick question.
I had my bike repainted candy glory red with the VMR paint and it looks good without even any clear on it yet. Am getting the pinstriping done BEFORE putting the clear coat on, but the CBX emblem on the matte black side covers is simply put on top of the paint correct?
Thanks.

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

dohc24 wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:42 pm
Just a quick question.
I had my bike repainted candy glory red with the VMR paint and it looks good without even any clear on it yet. Am getting the pinstriping done BEFORE putting the clear coat on, but the CBX emblem on the matte black side covers is simply put on top of the paint correct?
Thanks.
Yes, correct.

dohc24
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by dohc24 »

Excellent. Thank you.

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”