raising CBX ghetto style for maintenance

7mmBR
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: raising CBX ghetto style for maintenance

Post by 7mmBR »

I'll give Dave's "engine sag" tips a try on my '82: paraphrasing "remove rear triangles and loosen top rear engine trhu-bolt; engine will sag a bit"
I guess with a light assistance with a jack. I hope I can do this work this just using centre stand. I have smooth cement sloped garage floor, might dump 'er getting into my wheel chock platform if I can't get some help. Lol started working out a couple weeks ago.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I use the sag trick if I'm just doing the valves and cam chains. You'll gain 1/2 inch and that is enough to get any cam cover off. But you will not get the stock airbox and carbs off this way.

Dave

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Just as a precaution, use a strap to go from the center stand to the front wheel. Attach high enough on the wheel so it can't turn.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

7mmBR
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by 7mmBR »

sagged the engine with dave's engine sag tips, piece o' cake to remove valve cover! (82 pro-link)

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Putting the cover back in with the gasket properly in place is a bit finicky. There are several ways to do it. One involves rubber bands, and looks interesting, though I've never tried it.

I clean the cover and gasket well, and apply a tiny bit of adhesive or gasket sealer to each corner and various other places in the cover, and place the gasket in the groove. Then lay something flat on the gasket to hold it in place until the adhesive sets up. A piece of plywood works well. When putting the cover back in place, watch to be sure it stays in place on the cover. If it comes loose in a spot or two, don't sweat it. Use a pick to fish it into place once the cover is place. Don't overtighten the cover bolts.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

7mmBR
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by 7mmBR »

Thanks Rick I've stumbled on the rubber band tip in here. But my gasket remained firmly stuck to the cover all the way around so I don't think I'm going to have any problem with it. Engine sag gave good working room. I was planning to smear a very light film of silicone on it, not enough for any extra to squish in there. Really pleased with the measurements. All intakes are fine, mostly 4-5 thou. Almost all the EX were about 1 thou (less than 2 thou but more than zero, no pressure on bucket) so I'll thin those down by .1mm (4 thou). Caught one bad exhaust on #4, less than zero clearance, shim carbonized around edge and was kinda stuck in bucket, will first try 6 thou thinner to get some clearance...

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

If you need to remove a partially stuck valve cover gasket, replace one, whatever, just do yourself a favor and clean everything up, glue the gasket to the cover all the way around with 3M super weatherstrip adhesive, and it'll stay there through many removals. Then smear a bit of Hondabond case sealant around the half-moons, as has been mentioned and directed in the shop manual. You can now buy black super weatherstrip adhesive - looks better than the original yellow. You can also use the Hondabond for that, but it really sticks and you won't get the gasket off the cover easily if you ever need to. DO NOT put any other sealant anywhere on the gasket-to-head mating surface! Then do yourself a favor and replace all of the grommets on the hold-down bolts - that's where a lot of leaks originate. Also replace the seal and o-ring in the tach drive cover and the o-ring on the cam chain adjuster bolt/nut.

Dave

7mmBR
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by 7mmBR »

Thanks guys I scrounged shims very reasonably at a car engine rebuilder and a couple at a bike shop. All now nicely in range (well I left two intakes at 5.5 thou). That only one with "negative clearance" (a #4 EX) came right into range after thinning by 8 thou. All others really consistent within the range so I'm happy, will try the cam chain tips now....

7mmBR
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by 7mmBR »

Oh well I did use a a very thin firm of silicone all the way around the gasket and half moons before catching your last note Dave. Gasket is firmly bonded to cover by someone else, as you've described. I even wiped wiped the gasket and mating surface of oil, then with methyl hydrate before siliconing so yeah the silicone will bond. Oh well I don't think it will leak and I won't do high mileage so should be good for a while; the valves and cam chains are done. I carefully followed the good tips in here on adjusting the chains, B is certainly tight and tensioning fine. I even improvised a proper tool (handle section of shotgun cleaning rod with a concave tip to bear down on A's tensioner) while loading the front of chain and son fiddling the acorn nut tight. I still have some lateral play in chain A at front of the sprocket (when chain taught on the back). But I think it's fine.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”