54 degrees in Chicago

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Big T
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

54 degrees in Chicago

Post by Big T »

Gents,

I could use some good advice! The CBX was just unlimbered and fired right up. ( relatively speaking...) It was idling rough, and I quickly noticed something pooling beneath the bike; The overflow tube was pouring gas as the bike idled. My initial thought? That a float (or two) is stuck and a sudden rap on the carbs might right the situation. It did not. Attempt # 2 was to roll the front end up on a 2 x 6 timber, remove the ramp, and back up dropping it off the timber.
That didn't work either.
The Bike was parked in the garage since the Slimey Crud Run in October, where ethanol free gas was run for about 400 miles. It was out 2 times after that in November, then gas topped off and Sea Foamed. What a disappointment to not get on the road today. Any thoughts on a likely "quick fix"? Thanks.
Big T

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: 54 degrees in Chicago

Post by daves79x »

But did you drain the carbs when you parked it? Other than that, why would you just fire the bike up in the middle of the winter just to hear it run? If you can't ride at least 20-30 miles to dry all the moisture out, best to just let it sit with the carbs drained and the tank full.

I advise everyone I do carbs for, often more than once, to drain the carbs if the bike is to sit more than a month. Some take my advice, some don't, I often hear back from those who don't.

Dave

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

I drain carbs of either of my bikes (X and old Suz) if it is going to sit more than 3 days. Takes all of 10 minutes! Have never had a jet or float stuck issue in 30 + years with ethanol. If it's going to sit a month, or longer, a shot of Stabil into the tank will help. If a few judicious 'taps' on the float bowls won't work, I'm afraid it's 'bad' news. (Carb pull!) All -- follow Dave's advise on this one.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Big T
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Big T »

Guys, I am all good about draining the carbs and stabilizing the fuel... ( perhaps I was a little late in getting it done this year, but not much later than any of the past 24 years).
The plan was to take advantage of the weather by getting a substantial ride in, thereby avoiding condensation issues. Riding the bike once or twice during the winter does let me know that all is well -- or not so well --with the bike.
There is 1 thing I did do this year that was different. I did add some "canned 4 stroke gas-Tru Fuel" to the tank when I filled up for winter, thinking it would help insure a problem free Spring. Now it sounds like an expensive Spring. Thanks for the input.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”