CBX rear shocks

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
DENDEN
New Member & Happy To Be Here

CBX rear shocks

Post by DENDEN »

Has anyone used the rear shock sets for the 1979/80 CBX available from David Silver spares, and any comments on them please

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: CBX rear shocks

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Assuming these are the ones you are asking about?
https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CBX ... rt_332249/

DENDEN

Post by DENDEN »

Hi Steve, Those are the shocks. Have you tried them?

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Have not tried them and unfortunately not seen any feedback about them anywhere.
I understand using the David Silver ones if you are going for a stock appearance otherwise another option would be to contact Nils about the Ikon shocks.
Yes i know shipping to SA could be a deal breaker.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10498

DENDEN

Post by DENDEN »

Thanks for your feedback Steve. The Ikon shocks are quite a bit more expensive, so I think I will give the David Silver ones a try.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

On the other hand, you'd be getting shocks that actually work AND look good with the Ikon shocks. IOW, as always, you get what you pay for.

Dave

Crazy Canuck
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Crazy Canuck »

For something in between those two, I just bought a set of Hagon shocks and they really look well built,not cheap looking at all, unfortunately no experience on them yet as my bike isn't ready .....all in to my door in Canada for $300 Can.
Forrest Miller :thumupp:

Honda CBX 1000- "A cosmic haymaker of a motorcycle" -Mr. Tadashi Kume

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

I'm late to this party, but I like talking about twin shock setups, so I wanna share a bit. Someone else facing the same decision might find this useful.

I wanted fancy for my bike - most people jump immediately to Ohlins when they think "damping" and "fancy", but the shock that Ohlins specs for the CBX is the HO-140 S36P. It's a good gas-charged shock and according to my favorite suspension shop the damping out of the box should be excellent. These should be a very nice ready-to-ride shock - but I wanted more adjustability than these offer (preload only), and I also wanted black & chrome instead of the gold of the Ohlins.

So, I went with YSS RG362-360 TRCL-09 with optional 20-click compression adjusters. Compared to the Ohlins:
  • Pro: They're the color I wanted.
  • Pro: 4-way adjustable (compression, rebound, preload, and length for YSS vs preload only for Ohlins).
  • Pro: Price is a bit below the Ohlins, but with more features and similar build quality. This looks attractive but did not really work out.
  • Con: Less bling. You never have to explain why you chose Ohlins - but with YSS you can get sucked into a well, actually... kind of conversation too easily.
  • Con: The valving out of the box is garbage. What I saw from the shock dyno indicates an unrideable mess. When you add the cost to re-valve, it costs more than the Ohlins. Buying these shocks without having them re-valved would be an utter waste of money, IMO.
  • Con: They're a progressive-wound spring. This has some theoretical disadvantages vs. straight-rate springs. I don't have any problems in practice, but I would have preferred straight-rate.
And how well do the re-valved YSS shocks work? I am extremely happy with them. They compare favorably to the fancy WP suspension that I had on my KTM Duke 690, and the custom-valved Cogent shock I had on my SV. It took a couple of rides (and a proper tire inflation!) to get them dialed in, but a click here and there make differences you can feel, and the rear suspension now feels great. Top spec. I also moved to the larger 16mm pivot bolt and a beefier aluminum swingarm at the same time, so I can't speak to how well they'd do on a bike that's closer to stock, but IMO on a twin-shock bike the swinger shouldn't be as big a factor as it is for a single shock setup.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”