CBX Racing

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Re: CBX Racing

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Sometimes Phil, all the efforts to produce more power just result in endless complication where its easy to lose your bearings and you yearn for the original motor that at least ran when you pressed the button.

When I think of what the top MotoGP teams have to contend with it just amazes me that they can be so consistent.

Phil Burgess who took Gardner, Doohan and Rossi to so many world championships on different brands of bike with entirely different engine designs (inline 2 stroke and V's as well as 4 strokes of different configuration) was no rocket scientist. He was just another club racer like me in the Phoenix Club in Adelaide. I don't think he had any engineering background beyond coming off a farm in the Adelaide hills. He was in no way outstanding at that time and here I am struggling with one of Honda's more reliable dark ages designs. Its' very frustrating.

Burgess has now retired back to the farm and maybe I should hang up the leathers too. I've been fibreglassing the NC30's damaged fairing, which is a filthy job and enuf' to depress the most ebullient spirit.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Phil, Jeremy. Jeremy, Phil. JEREMY Burgess, sorry. Maybe thats' why I'm having problems? Dementia must be setting in.
R.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Warwick Biggs wrote:Phil, Jeremy. Jeremy, Phil. JEREMY Burgess, sorry. Maybe thats' why I'm having problems? Dementia must be setting in.
R.
Or the fumes from the fiberglass. :o
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Yeah, that too. Horrible stuff but strong. Its amazing the punishment that it can absorb. I am putting off the sanding because you really need one of those Ebola suits to avoid all the dust.

Supp Regs for the Island Classic should be out soon. Entry fees were cheaper last year because the Poms did not receive a travel subsidy from us. Numbers were down altho' the racing was close and finally the Americans turned up with competitive machines, albeit replicas. Its' a pity Bill Brint can't bring his CBX racer over in the same box as the others. I've tried to encourage him but maybe he needs more American ICOA members to suggest he needs to fly the flag? Last year it was Colin Edwards but it was a confederate flag on a replica thingy. Just as bad as the Ulster Irish with a similar propensity for waving flags that are b4 their time but equally quick, it would seem. Peter Hickman led their team last year. His countrymen claim he is the fastest motorcycle racer in the world after he managed a 136 mph AVERAGE lap speed at Dundrodd. But they would say that. I think the Kiwis amassed more points and didn't make a fuss about it either but it will be the Australian team defending the title this year.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Did Edwards really fly a Confederate flag at the Island Classic? I'm looking for photos and coming up empty.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Now you've got me Phil. Maybe it was the Texan star but it was either on his transporter or on the sign next to his RC45. I'll have a look thru' my pics but there was at least one confederate flag over the US teams pits. Its that kind of event and I don't think anybody takes it too seriously. I've even seen a Welsh flag. Now in North Wales they take flags very seriously would like to do a Brexit and a half and JOIN the EU as an independent nation as would the Scots. The Northern Irish on the other hand are just contrary, Half want to join the Republic and stay while the other half want to stay with the UK and leave. With all that to-ing and fro-ing they don't need an Irish backstop, they need a doorstop. At least there are no religious flags at the Classic, as yet. It would be good to have a CBX flag.. If we could get Bill over from the US or James fro the UK with their racers and get Roly's Beast out of its slumber I would volunteer to run up a flag with 6 cylinders on it myself.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Like this...

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Can't find it but you can see the proliferation of flags in the US Team in these pics here:- http://www.helmetsnheels.com/american-a ... ip-island/
Unfortunately, whilst one pic shows his transporter it is rear on and doesn't show the side where the flag was. Colin Edwards was interviewed by Brit journo (Sir) Alan Cathcart at the pre race dinner and demonstrated that he is a comedian when not on 2 wheels. He was book ended by Ago who demonstrated his Euro charm and quiet modesty in sharp contrast to the animated Colin. Incidentally, Cathcart did that great test of Roly's Beast but I would like to state here, that was before Roly really got his CBX racers sorted. They were much better than what Cathcart sampled and its a great pity Roly has retired them.
Looking thru' my pics of the 2018 Classic I found a good one of Doddsy on the RC30 and thought you might like to see it below as I've featured this bike in earlier posts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Thats' the one EMS. If we can get any other CBX Racers here I will ask to borrow it...

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Warwick Biggs wrote:Now you've got me Phil. Maybe it was the Texan star but it was either on his transporter or on the sign next to his RC45.
Thanks, looks like it was Texas flag. That's a massive distinction.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

I'm pretty sure there was a confederate flag with the white fringed crossed stars. I must admit to knowing little about the flag. Wikipedia opines, " Many Southerners associate the Confederate battle flag with pride in their heritage and traditions, but for many outsiders it is impossible to separate the flag from its association with the defence of slavery and racial bias.[5]"

I was aware it was a Dixie thing but ignorant of the extent of the current controversy. Its one thing to take down statues but I guess a civil war leaves permanent fissures in society that flags can only exacerbate. What I don't get is the use of the Southern Cross that is simply not visible north of about 25 degrees from the equator and therefore invisible to most of the southern States.

Its paradoxical because the revolutionary Oz flag that was first raised by rebellious gold miners at the Eureka Stockade, is the Southern Cross. These days its often seen in the back windows of cars accompanied by Vietnam Vet regimental insignia or the skull and cross bones. All symbols of impotent rage or proto fascism by people who often see themselves as victims of something or other. Did I say I don't like flags? I'll make an exception and erect one myself if we get a single CBX entry for the 2020 International Island Classic.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Warwick Biggs wrote:IWhat I don't get is the use of the Southern Cross that is simply not visible north of about 25 degrees from the equator and therefore invisible to most of the southern States.

8) You need to double check this. I spent time on the isle of Mauritius one time, which is approx. 20° Latitude and we could see the Southern Cross.... :?

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Not many people have been to Mauritius EMS, so you must have had an unusual life.

However, your observation on Mauritius fits with my statement that the Southern Cross is invisible to any of the confederate States. After initially registering my surprise that the flag was meant to depict this constellation I did a quick search to turn up the info that visibility cuts out at 25 degrees. The southern most confederate State is Texas. (I appreciate there is a bit of controversy over whether it was really part of the revolt but for arguments' sake I will include it). Texas straddles the 30 degree meridian. So EMS I stand by the assumption underlying my question or stand to be corrected.

It then begs the question: why did so many poor white Southerners choose to fight and die under a flag depicting a constellation few could ever have seen and wasn't slavery a direct threat to them ever raising themselves out of their virtual serfdom and exploitation by the wealthy plantation owners"

In Oz the opposition to our historical equivalent of slavery (free convict labor) came from the free settlers (SA was entirely a free settled State) and Australian born children of the first convicts. The reasons were obvious and vocal at the time. Because the free labor undercut the value of their labor. The only locals who supported transportation were the rich squatters (the Oz equivalent of the plantation owners).

Typically, the Poms were at first deaf to these increasingly noisy and insistent demands to end transportation and it was only the gold rush that put an end to it when the silly duffers in Whitehall realised they were transporting their undesirables to become rich in the Antipodes and some upstart emancipists started returning and joining fashionable London Clubs to flaunt their wealth under the noses of their erstwhile gaolers. That put a stop to it quick smart! It is also clear that moves to stop slavery and for self representation of the Caribbean colonies and in Oz did not happen in isolation. Many Southerners came to Australia during the gold rush and all the political currents of the times fed into each other. In Whitehall they were totally absorbed in the rolling disaster and growing scandal arising from the Crimean War and they did not really notice when Parliament granted self representation to Australia (NSW) with more democratic representation than existed in England itself. 'Democracy' was in fact a derisory term at the time but there were only 5 members in the House when the vote was passed after a short incoherent debate. Sometimes history happens almost by accident.

But how do you explain the motives of those doomed Southerners marching off to fight for their oppressors under an alien flag? Something else must underlie the often violent and continuing north/south divide in the US other than the cliched answer of slavery reflected in the Wikipedia quote above.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Wellll, since we're so far off topic anyway, the American Civil War was initially about taxes. Slavery wasn't part of the dispute until later in the war. And I believe nearly all of Florida is further south than nearly all of Texas.

So, can we get back to racing?
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Wow, wow, Hold it here....Who said the Confederate flag shows the "Southern Cross" or "Crux" a constellation on the night skies of the southern hemisphere...??
The only flags that show this are the Australian and New Zealand flags.
The Confederate flag as used by the "Southern States" as a "battle flag" during the civil war was a red flag with a blue cross carrying white stars. Nothing to do with the Southern Cross.
I was confused by your statement about the 25th as the "Crux" is indeed visible up to the 25th North and I though you were talking South.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”