CBX Racing

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Re: CBX Racing

Post by Warwick Biggs »

This shows Roly's wire thingy's on the outside bellmouths so you don't knock them with your knee. They are uncomfortabe when you are moving around a lot and your knee hits them. It also shows the cable ties that I use to support the CR's to take some of the stress off the rubbers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

This shows how I have raised the seat height for the period correct Rickman seat and ducktail. You can also see the dual battery switch that allows me to run both a light weight starter and the 3 coils on total loss.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Here we have the 17" VTR wheel and slightly cut down VTR rotors. The holes had to be filled with alloy putty for the correct period look. It took me a long time to find sintered HH pads for the stock twin piston brakes. I had to use spacers because of the thinner rotors but otherwise it was a fairly straight forward modification. Most of the other punters in my class run single piston replica Brembos and I like to think Honda's stock floaters are suerior in every way (one of the CBX's secret weapons is great brakes). The other advantage of this front end is that its' incredibly light compared to the vented rotors and heavy comstars and almost as heavy 18" boomerangs. I have to be careful launching off the line as the front comes up very quickly! I should add that the start of any race is the most dangerous part when you have a bunch of bikes largely out of control on their back wheels with no steering and in close formation.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Finally, this is one of the ride height attachments for the Wilbers shock. To recap, I extended the internal shaft so that the basic length of the shock was the same as my old shock with its extension wound out to the max but I then have a choice of 2 new extenders. This is the longer 10 mm one. The shorter one is on the bike and gives me another 6-7 mm which with the rising rate rear end gives me about 19 mm if I wind it all the way out.

I'm hoping that I won't need this longer one but you will appreciate that this gives me a huge range to play with. Now, if I can convince a few other racers to stump up $800 a piece to have their bikes Computracked I will be able to convince Nigel to bring his metrology to me rather than the 3,00 klm vice versa and that will tell me exactly what I need to do. In the meantime its' suck it and see.

I haven't started the bike yet and its always a bit fraught. Sometimes the floats stick when you are starting from dry and it pisses fuel everywhere. Also you can't leave it sitting for long with fuel in it as the additives tend to block the very fine CR jets and the fuel itself starts to 'go off'. So I might get it out to the track for practice next Friday if the gods aren't still at war with me. Hopefully, it will give a few of those Bears a hurry up if we do get there.

I must remember that the new throttle is much quicker than my old quick action throttle and the matching tapered inlet tracts will affect it too. It could be a whole new bike with all these changes. Better or worse, we will have to wait and see....
R.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

All put together again.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Exhaust side.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Why is there silicone oozing from the valve cover? Nasty stuff. A good gasket is all that's needed.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

The widest point of the motor is the cam cover and while the CSG Moto engine sliders are great, the cam cover did sustain a heavy whack when we hit the deck at the '18 Island Classic, Rick. The consequent slight distortion in the casting was beyond the somewhat stiff (read oldish) rubber gasket to accommodate. That is one answer to something that offends good mechanics. Another answer for the more widespread use of silicone is that with a racer it comes apart fairly regularly and making up new gaskets is a tedious and time consuming business.

So, put it down to laziness/impatience/slackness. And yes, I know bits can come adrift and block crucial oil passages. Rick, do you want to volunteer to be my spannerman? I'm not a mechanic's bootlace and belong to the side of the road school of necessity being the mother of invention (as is impoverishment).

Meantime, the lump is now running and if our current hot dry weather continues, we will do some testing at the track on Friday. I also have to compliment Venhill's after sales back up of their universal 888 QA throttle kit.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

I mentioned the silicone because I had a costly experience caused by over zealous application. I had an oil pan leak on a large truck, and took it to a local shop for re-sealing. Rather than doing it properly, they dropped the pan a couple inches and forced silicone in the gap, then tightened it back up. A couple years later, that engine died a vilent death when a rod went through the block. Upon inspection, the pick-up screen was plugged with silicone goo.......
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

You have just added another task to my list Rick. Check the pickup filter next time TIMS ' sump comes off.
R.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

I echo Ricks concern. Had a tech use silicone to stick a DOHC valve cover on, and it dissolved in hot oil, made its way to the sump and had 60% clogged the pickup screen, in a very short amount of running. IMO it has no place near hot oil.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

OK guys, I get it and will investigate.

What I can say is that I know others a lot more experienced than I, use the stuff to keep that sinuous rubber gasket in place and prevent it dropping out as the cam cover is put in place. Also, the silicone I use is expressly marketed as high temperature gasket goo by a number of well known coys like Loctite. According to the manufacturers it contains a high percentage of copper, whatever that means. If it dissolved so readily in hot oil and caused engine failure then I'm sure there would be a legal case pending.

I have enuf'' questions about my own handiwork to keep me awake at night without a chorus chiming in on the subject of product liability, a subject I do know something about. Next oil change I will check the pick up filter, OK?

There are plenty of other interesting threads to explore in the stuff above such as the suspension changes, the engineering excellence of Computrack or just whether the bike looks better without all the excess plumbing. I may just stick it back in a glass case and mount it somewhere on a wall instead of caning it around race tracks that threaten its very existence. After all, I can do that far more effectively and with hardly any effort at all on a modern 600 sports bike. Come to think of it, that's not a bad idea...
R.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

The stuff I use is Permatex Ultra Copper high temperature gasket maker. It is warranted to about 100 degrees C over the peak operating temperature of a CBX race motor, which is about 280 C on Roly's high compression motors. At that temperature the oil also starts to oxidise, so we are talking extremes. My motor is intentionally less stressed and set rich so it runs cooler.

Nevertheless, based upon the opinions expressed above I will check the sump filter next time I drop the oil and report on what I find.
R.

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

Bike looks awesome , That yellow pops !

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Yes Greg, I think so too altho' the colours were largely accidental. After I put a dent in my original pearl white tank I discovered it was cheaper to buy another tank than to have mine repaired. Roly Skate just happened to have the custom yellow tank, ducktail and mudguard that he let me have. It is obviously not an original colour but is a quality job retaining the CBX black stripe with feathered red pin stripe and original tank transfer.

Its weird because my original race colours back in the 70's were red and gold( copying Mike Hailwood). Then I had to replace my gold stripe Bell Star helmet and acquired a yellow Shoei and modified my outfit to add bright yellow (copying Joey Dunlop). It was totally derivative but I find myself again with a red and yellow colour scheme, this time purely by accident.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”