Nice ride after rebuilding carbs and other work

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Irishman1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Nice ride after rebuilding carbs and other work

Post by Irishman1 »

Having to remove the carbs on my 79 I found the previous owner had a shop in Minneapolis rebuild the carbs and I found the rear carb insulators torn and repaired with black tape. Many fuel lines with twisted wire for clamps. Several float needles broken and missing the spring plunger set. And it ran great! Thanks to Phil taber, paul fedawa and skip ruff for the great stock pipes to replace the kerkers too
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ICOA # 6786
Retired, now my job is restoring old hondas!
Bike in the garage right now:
1979 CBX1000 red
1980 CBX1000 red
1981 CBX1000 prolink
1975 gl1000 blue
1975 gl1000 red
1975 gl1000 sulfur yellow
1975 gl1000 red
1976 gl1000 sulfur yellow
1977 gl1000 black
1977 gl1000 blue
1977 gl1000 black
1978 cb750f super sport
1979 cb750f super sport

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Re: Nice ride after rebuilding carbs and other work

Post by Rick Pope »

That's one heckuva support group. You're lucky to be in touch with those guys.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Ringnalda
ICOA Staff
ICOA Staff

Post by Ringnalda »

Well at least they used black insulation tape and not silver ducttape.... :shock: As the bikes age, we are finding many of the rubber parts are embrittling and cracking. If you get the time, and it looks like you have taken a number of pictures, please consider writing a little article for the CBXPress; :techie-typing: you can send the document to me and please send full resolution photo's. Thanks!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Irishman1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Irishman1 »

Yeah, the boots were definitely gouged with a pry of some kind, screwdriver maybe to get the carbs off??? Wow. The rebuild receipt describes the labor to rebuild the carbs to include removing rear fender and battery tray to remove carbs....WTF? LOL
ICOA # 6786
Retired, now my job is restoring old hondas!
Bike in the garage right now:
1979 CBX1000 red
1980 CBX1000 red
1981 CBX1000 prolink
1975 gl1000 blue
1975 gl1000 red
1975 gl1000 sulfur yellow
1975 gl1000 red
1976 gl1000 sulfur yellow
1977 gl1000 black
1977 gl1000 blue
1977 gl1000 black
1978 cb750f super sport
1979 cb750f super sport

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mike Nixon »

Last year I had a CBX1000 in the shop that when I removed the carbs exhibited severely razor-bladed intake rubbers. You know, augered out. Looked as if someone thought the best way to get those carbs on was to make funnels out of the rubbers. First time I ever saw that. Hard to believe a person would do that.

Dynamohum
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Dynamohum »

Nice looking bike! When I changed my carb boots at around 55,000 miles they were like ceramic. Just as hard. Say Mike, I’m approaching 70,000 miles on an always ridden bike that’s never had the carbs apart. Whaddyathink you’d find inside? :D

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mike Nixon »

Inside the carbs? Slime from the airbox sludge trap on the insides of vacuum tops, on springs and inside carb throats (behind throttle butterflies). Silty rust, only traces, from the fuel tank in float bowls. Probably never-adjusted pilot screws (too bad...). Creased aircut diaphragm. Overly-stiff hardened accel diaphragm. Worn float valves. Minor debris caught at fuel inlet screens (on each float valve). Some scoring, inconsequential, on slides. Petrified float bowl gaskets and if a 79 petrified idle jet tower plugs. This is all minor stuff, and it's only minor because you say the carbs have never been apart. If on the other hand they have been apart, then give me two or three pages more room...

Dynamohum
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Dynamohum »

I’m thankful and probably lucky as the bike runs fine and there are no leaks. I’ve always ‘excercised’ the petcock during rides and it still works as well. I’ll be sure to take pics whenever the carbs come off. I’m also interested in what the float bowls will look like. I sold my 82 with 106,000 miles and I’m assuming those carbs had been off but not in the 53,000 miles I rode it. It’s still running somewhere in Nevada I suppose. It was a great touring bike. I’ve found that riding CBXs is as important as proper maintenance.

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mike Nixon »

Dynamohum wrote:It was a great touring bike.
Yup.
Dynamohum wrote:I’ve found that riding CBXs is as important as proper maintenance.
Yup.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Proof that running these bikes regularly is really the best treatment you can give them. It is very hard to find an undisturbed set of CBX carbs these days. Even run regularly, the O-rings eventually give it up. That was really all that was wrong with my '79 carbs @ 50,000 miles. I have rebuilt the petcock twice however.

So my observation is that you are running on borrowed time with the rubber carb parts, but keep running them until they leak!

Dave

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”