Felt like the chain skipped a tooth but didn't.

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Dynamohum
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Felt like the chain skipped a tooth but didn't.

Post by Dynamohum »

On a recent ride after downshifting from 4th to 3rd it felt like the chain skipped a tooth. The bike jerked a couple times and then all was fine. A few minutes later the same thing happened, also after downshifting. I stopped to check the chain and rear wheel movement in case the wheel bearings were bad but it felt solid as usual, no side to side wiggle. I couldn't duplicate the jerking after several attempts. At home I looked at the chain and both sprockets and everything looked fine. Is there something else I should check? I have over 66K on it and have a full Dyna ignition. Hasn't done it since and the bike runs great.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Re: Felt like the chain skipped a tooth but didn't.

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

When is the last time you inspected the rubber insulators/cushions in the rear hub? they wear and dry-rot over time and can cause a clunk at take off and down shifts.

Dynamohum
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Dynamohum »

Hmm, hadn't thought about the crush drive rubbers. They're around sixteen years old. If one or more of them are chewed up or have shrunk that could be it. Thanks, I'll take a look. I remember the originals fell out when I opened the hub when I got the bike in 2002, mileage was 23,000+ then.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Jeff Bennetts wrote:When is the last time you inspected the rubber insulators/cushions in the rear hub? they wear and dry-rot over time and can cause a clunk at take off and down shifts.
I wouldn't have thought of that one either.
Wasn't J.R. making new cush rubbers.?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

It sounds like a transmission issue to me.

Dave

Dynamohum
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Dynamohum »

Oh don't say that. There's no chance of a rear wheel lockup is there?

80 cbx dude #6216
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by 80 cbx dude #6216 »

These downshifts that were made, were they throttle completely off, good positive shifts? I've had some strange shifts occur at different times, even with different motorcycles, that didn't completely go into gear and sort of skipped into gear. Is this what occurred? As Dave has stated, it sounds like a trans issue. If this is something that gets worse, it needs to be investigated. If it just happened a couple of times and doesn't happen again, perhaps it wasn't shifted correctly? Ride it some more and pay attention to what's happening. It's either going to get worse or was a fluke. Just my 2 cents worth.-Mike G

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

I think Dave and Mike are right. But before hanging your head in dismay, see if the shifter linkage is free and moving smoothly, and there isn't a bunch of slop in the pivots. Were you wearing shoes/boots that prevented positive shifts? Look for the simple stuff first. Good luck.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Good point Rick. I've seen shifter pivots nearly frozen due to lack of maintenance.

Dave

Harold Kie
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Harold Kie »

Did you ever resolve this problem? I had a similar issue with my CBX when it only had a few thousand miles on it but it would do it while in top gear and on the freeway at speed of around 65 MPH. I wrote it off as being the wrong chain - that is made to American specs and not Japanese. That was just a speculation but I became so worried about it I parked the bike and it still remains in my shop up to this day (from 1981).

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”