Best Photos of Your CBX

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Best Photos of Your CBX

Post by Syscrush »

I've seen some nice photos on this site of some very special CBX's. Is anyone else interested in having a photo superthread where we share only our best/favorite pics of our bikes? Is there already such a thread, and I've just missed it?

This thread could also be used to offer critique or advice to people who ask for help improving their bike photos, and maybe a place for people who are good with post-processing to help out with tweaking and tuning photos from others who ask for such help.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Best Photos of Your CBX

Post by Syscrush »

I'll just post up and if others are interested we'll get the ball rolling.

On Sunday morning I woke up early and was a bit irritated about not being able to sleep in, until I realized that this was a perfect chance to get some photos of my bike in the morning magic hour, which should be lighting up a cool mural installation I've been wanting to shoot for a couple of years now. So I took off before having my customary tea to try to catch the light while it was low and golden.

Back when the rebuild was just finishing up, I went to the shop to be there for the first startup, and I lucked into getting this shot - it's one of my favorites. I was fixated on the gauge and didn't notice until I got home how the red toobox in the background complements the color of the gauge needle. It's become one of my favorite shots of the bike:

All photos were shot with the cheapest Canon Rebel DSLR I could find about 5 years ago - a Rebel T3. The lens is a vintage Zenit Helios 44-2 (Soviet knockoff of a Zeiss design from the 40's) wide open at f/2.0. I bought that lens on a lark 2 years ago, worried that I was wasting $80 on a novelty, but it's become my workhorse lens - giving some results comparable to gear 20x more pricey. Post processing done in Lightroom, with a bit of Photoshop in the city skyline pic to erase an unsightly green pole that was sticking up in the location where the light was best.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Rolls
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Rolls »

Wow. Beautiful shots, all!

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

I keep trying to get shots of my bike but it gets all shy and hides. :hand:
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

mike209
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by mike209 »

I had my photos made few weeks ago by a friend photographer, seems like appropriate thread to share
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

:shock:

whoowee!
That is a sweet ... sweet ride.
Where the heck did you hide the battery and electrics?
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

fantastic photos mike...top one is my favourite..
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Syscrush wrote:I've seen some nice photos on this site of some very special CBX's. Is anyone else interested in having a photo superthread where we share only our best/favorite pics of our bikes? Is there already such a thread, and I've just missed it?

This thread could also be used to offer critique or advice to people who ask for help improving their bike photos, and maybe a place for people who are good with post-processing to help out with tweaking and tuning photos from others who ask for such help.
great idea for a thread...my photo skills need improving too...
my opinion on your photos, 2nd one was too washed out by sun light...the backgrounds in a number of other shots detract from the bike, pole, construction netting, bus?...

my professional web designer daughters always remind me of the "rule of thirds" to set up a composition...you can see it mike's photos

focusing on the bike I often fail to notice the background...and the "rule of thirds" :oops:
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

Here's my fave shot of Cybil, just after her 2nd rebuild in 2009. I really like the soft evening light, but pity about the crappy white gate in the background though...

But overall, pretty happy with my 'point and shoot' cheapy Olympus camera back then.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Here's about the best shot I have of my '79. Bought it new and still pretty original.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

herdygerdy wrote:Here's my fave shot of Cybil, just after her 2nd rebuild in 2009. I really like the soft evening light, but pity about the crappy white gate in the background though...

But overall, pretty happy with my 'point and shoot' cheapy Olympus camera back then.
better placement avoiding the white would have helped but the lighting on the bike itself is exceptional ...

I recall seeing a couple of millennial types last summer who ridden their CB cafe racers up onto a downtown sidewalk in order to use an aged brick wall as a backdrop.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

mike209 wrote:I had my photos made few weeks ago by a friend photographer, seems like appropriate thread to share
Well, given that it was seeing the photos of your bike that induced me to start this thread, I have to agree it's the perfect place for them!

Thanks for sharing.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Rolls wrote:Wow. Beautiful shots, all!
Thanks! I'm pleased with how they turned out.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Great photos of some beautiful bikes.
Well done, Gents.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Nothing quite so artistic but they are my favourite pics of 2 of the bikes i have now.
The '79 at Decew House Heritage Park in Thorold.

The '81 at Brock's Monument in Queenston.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”