What did you do to your bike today?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: What did you do to your bike today?

Post by wyly »

CBXPress ?...I'm embarrassed to say I'd never heard of it :?

I looked it up and I'm flattered at the invite Rick :oops: I just don't see my work being of a quality up to those standards and of much interest to many ...I'm just a mechanical newbie with time on his hands trying to do small projects and improvements on a limited budget(not limited enough according to the Mrs)...

I may during my recovery take the time and move all the pertinent posts to a project thread, all the many mistakes I've made may be of help to others who starting on similar projects.

And yes I completed my clearcoating today! It looks awesome! :D in my eyes of coarse :roll:

the cause of the previously damaged base coat wasn't what I thought was (discarded cleaning towel)... I'd taken the petcock off for clearcoating and residual fuel had dripped onto the drop cloth, when I tipped the tank on it's side it was the fuel that ate into the paint...silly oversight, but I learn and move on :D
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Wyly,
Your project CBX would make a perfect addition to the CBX Press !!
Very Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

I just don't see my work being of a quality up to those standards and of much interest to many ...I'm just a mechanical newbie with time on his hands trying to do small projects and improvements on a limited budget(not limited enough according to the Mrs)...

This is just what we need in the club magazine. It may encourage others to dive in and resurrect a long neglected bike hiding in the corner. I seem to remember that we used to have an offer of a years' membership if you submitted an article that was used. Maybe..............
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

clear coating went well, instead of the clear coat from Sherwin-Williams that I've used before I went with Eastwood...Eastwood has a two component mix that is activated by puncturing an internal container...the catalyst/hardener component will be more resistant to an inevitable fuel spill...
a wet sand - polish to remove over-spray, orange peel and it's ready to install...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

Excellent!!!!!!! :flags-canada:
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

It you buff through the clear coat I'm going to laugh my ass off wyly. :teasing-poke:

Good luck and I can't wait to see it at the next rally, read about it here!
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10551&start=15

Shoot wyly I just noticed the stripe on the bottom of your tank is on upside down! :o

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Jeff Bennetts wrote:It you buff through the clear coat I'm going to laugh my ass off wyly. :teasing-poke:

Good luck and I can't wait to see it at the next rally, read about it here!
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10551&start=15

Shoot wyly I just noticed the stripe on the bottom of your tank is on upside down! :o
burning through the clear? could happen but I lost count of how many coats of clear, five to seven and that's on top of clear I put on before the decals, so there's room for error...if there's one thing this project has taught me that's to chill when things go wrong :doh: mistakes are frustrating but they can all be fixed...

I'd love to go to club rally but the distance to them is problematic for this old body...

the stripes upside down :o .. that's the way I wanted it :lol: ....

this was the most complex rattle can paint job I've done, not perfect and the next one will be much, much better...I've learned a lot and I won't be embarrassed when the local guys look it over... paint and body repair materials at between $200-300 I'm happy with the results...

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Yes it's quite a distance for you all the way there in Calgary but it seems as though the Canadian presence here is the fastest growing segment of the forum in years, it would be great to get some of you involved and show up at the cb1100f rally that the club is invited to, it's not far for some of them, it's in NY.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

not completely satisfied with my work I wet sanded everything again with 800grit and shot another four coats of clear...still not perfect but considering it's all rattle can paint job it's okay...

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Have you ever used polishing compound? Done right, it can make a rattle can finish look like glass.

Here's a sample pic, more info in this thread.

Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

thanks for the link, another approach is always welcome... :D
what I've found with painting bodywork is how many conflicting opinions there are, one painter said there probably as many painting methods as there painters...it's difficult deciding which method is best...

I've done wet sanding with 1500, 2000, 2500 before and then used a polishing compound...I'll probably do a combination of the two again...it's always a bit panic inducing sanding a clear coat :? I never believe the sheen will come back...

the Eastwood 2k clear I used looks good and deep not some danger of sanding through it, I only need to carefully remove some dust and overspray ...

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

"CBXPress ?...I'm embarrassed to say I'd never heard of it :?" Amazing, but could this be our problem? I've got two complete sets of every CBXpress issued (one Club set and my personal set) - about 6 boxes full. You've owned your CBX longer than I have Wyly (July '78 vs July '79) and you never heard of the ICOA, other than this forum? But as I peruse the web, Facebook, etc, I can see that you are not alone. Many, many CBX owners, a lot of them long-term, never heard of the ICOA. Just Google 'Honda CBX' and we're the first or second thing that pops up. Oh well, back to our regularly scheduled program.

Dave

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

So' is Wyly saying he is not a member of this great club? I can send him a back issue of the cbxpress to my daughter in Cochrane just up the road from him and he is welcome to collect it. Am I right in saying it must be a year since the last cbxpress was published? I think Jan told me there are editorial issues so should not something be done about it. I have sent in at least two articles which have not been published so hope we see something soon.
all the best Mel#1876
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

started wet sanding with 1500, and went down to 1200 where required, then progressed upward through 1500, 2000 and 2500...then finished it Meguiars polishing compounds, five in all...mirror finish :-) Done!....sort of :?
I assumed the tank was clean and dry when I began, but the gas sludge that dripped out and damaged the base coat needed to be cleaned out beforeit reached the carbs so that was today's task...not an easy thing to do with a newly painted tank...all seems good to go now :D

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

daves79x wrote:"CBXPress ?...I'm embarrassed to say I'd never heard of it :?" Amazing, but could this be our problem? I've got two complete sets of every CBXpress issued (one Club set and my personal set) - about 6 boxes full. You've owned your CBX longer than I have Wyly (July '78 vs July '79) and you never heard of the ICOA, other than this forum? But as I peruse the web, Facebook, etc, I can see that you are not alone. Many, many CBX owners, a lot of them long-term, never heard of the ICOA. Just Google 'Honda CBX' and we're the first or second thing that pops up. Oh well, back to our regularly scheduled program.

Dave
I'd heard of the ICOA Dave, just not "CBXPress"...my computer link takes me directly to the forum.
cbxmel wrote:So' is Wyly saying he is not a member of this great club? I can send him a back issue of the cbxpress to my daughter in Cochrane just up the road from him and he is welcome to collect it.
Never saw the point of joining, where I live is so far from anywhere I'd never get to a rally. :( I never even met another cbx owner since 1980...but that's changed a bit in the last two years, I've met six other local owners and I know there are more around.

I'd luv a copy of CBXPress to see what it's all about Mel, I live in N/W Calgary Cochrane is only a 15minute ride away.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”