79 crankcase paint

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
dvb
New Member & Happy To Be Here

79 crankcase paint

Post by dvb »

I am in the process of rebuilding my carbs and have the opertunity to touch up some scatches on top of the crackcase now that the carbs are off the bike.
Looking to pick up some touch up paint that will match, l looked thru old postings and found Dupli color bty1579 and Evinrude silver good matches. However these paints are not longer available. Any ideas would be helpful.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: 79 crankcase paint

Post by daves79x »

Duplicolor should still be available - where and when did you check? My store still can get it as of a couple of months ago.

Dave

dvb

Post by dvb »

I checked as of yesterday with a auto part distributor OReillys for BTY 1579, I noted that you mentioned #178 silver but nothing comes up with that number. Is there a new cross ref. No. that replaced that?

dvb

Post by dvb »

I found a cross ref no. for T178 and it is BGM0535. Called OReillys and they ordered one out of Chicago should be here tomorrow.Hope it will hold up under the heat of the engine?!

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

That new number is posted on several threads here - I don't remember it off-hand and have to go look every time someone wants it. Yes, again, the paint will hold up as well as any. It's not 'high temp' paint, but that's largely a marketing gimmick. No paint you use will stand up to many solvents like brake cleaner and carb cleaner, so be careful with that stuff around your completed work. Strong detergents and cleaners are OK.

dave

dvb

Post by dvb »

Thanks Dave for your follow up on this I really appreciate it.

Return to “Project Threads”