Re-Chrome

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re-Chrome

Post by CopperCollar »

I have a set of 469 pipes, no rust through just some scrapes and surface rust. Serviceable with buffing out but I would like to have then re-chromed.

Who can I send them to these days? The chrome shops in Albuquerque ate gone as is the one in El Paso.

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Re-Chrome

Post by tevan »

Mike, I have heard Browns plating is shut down also.
Terry

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

If you find a place are you going to pull the baffle and packing out of the pipes before you send them off?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

In addition to the fact that there are very few places left to begin with , among these are very few places that will re-chrome exhausts. Even if you take the exhausts apart and remove the internals - which is not an easy job on a CBX exhaust, btw.
You have to be lucky enough to find a place that will re-chrome your exhaust as a last project, just before they change the bath. Don't expect to good of an outcome and not an inexpensive deal.

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Repro exhaust may be the way to go then.

Thanks guys

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Since the repro exhausts by Sankei and Delkevic have appeared, the prices for very good used originals have come down significantly. You can get an ec Prolink exhaust for around $700.-
Most guys snub them, because they think the 1979 CBX exhaust is the "power" exhaust, which is actually a misconception.
The 1980 "469' exhaust is less restrictive than the 1979 exhaust and the Prolink exhaust with the crossover improves low and mid-range torque

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

CopperCollar wrote:Repro exhaust may be the way to go then.

Thanks guys

Mike
Mike, the last time I had a set done I used a very small shop in Akron OH, 20 mins from me, they were a set of Hindles and the mufflers are slip ons so the plater only had the mid pipes and headers to deal with, Akron Plating Co. 330 773 6878
Link,
http://www.akronplating.com/nickel.html

Now there is a pretty big shop that does custom and spealized plating also in Ohio called CustomChrome Plating, in Grafton OH. They will chrome your complete system but YOU Have To Remove The Baffle and Packing before you send them your exhaust. 440 926 3116
Link,
http://customchromeplating.com/index.html

I have no affiliation with either shop and your results may vary.
Last edited by Jeff Bennetts on Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Jeff Bennetts wrote:
CopperCollar wrote:Repro exhaust may be the way to go then.

Thanks guys

Mike
Mike, the last time I had a set done I used a very small shop in Akron OH, 20 mins from me, they were a set of Hindles and the mufflers are slip ons so the plater only had the mid pipes and headers to deal with, Akron Plating Co. 330 773 6878

Now there is a pretty big shop that does custom and spealized plating also in Ohio called CustomChrome Plating, in Grafton OH. They will chrome your complete system but YOU Have To Remove The Baffle and Packing before you send them your exhaust. 440 926 3116

I have no affiliation with either shop and your results may vary.
Fantastic info Jeff!!
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Thanks for the leads Nils.

These are the 469 stamped pipes so I'll explore the plating but after I see how hard it is to pull the innards out.

Mike

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Talk to Bill at TIMS - he used to have pipes re-chromed. I don't think he had to pull the baffles. That's a deal breaker for me - don't know how you'd get everything back together without damage - those baffles are spot-welded in a lot of places.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

daves79x wrote: . I don't think he had to pull the baffles. That's a deal breaker for me - don't know how you'd get everything back together without damage - those baffles are spot-welded in a lot of places.

Dave
+1!
I don't think anybody who keeps saying - "you have to pull the baffles out, before re-chroming" - has ever done it on a CBX exhaust!
Also, if you pick a shop that you cannot personally take the parts to, beware!
You need to be able to talk to the chromer and make sure you will get what you expect and pay for and consider shipping cost back and forth which will be a couple of hundred $$$

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

EMS wrote:
daves79x wrote: . I don't think he had to pull the baffles. That's a deal breaker for me - don't know how you'd get everything back together without damage - those baffles are spot-welded in a lot of places.

Dave
+1!
I don't think anybody who keeps saying - "you have to pull the baffles out, before re-chroming" - has ever done it on a CBX exhaust!
Also, if you pick a shop that you cannot personally take the parts to, beware!
You need to be able to talk to the chromer and make sure you will get what you expect and pay for and consider shipping cost back and forth which will be a couple of hundred $$$
Shipping alone would be $150 one way app. I have a set of stock pipes that has the baffles cut out. He cut the mufflers at the first seam from the back. It is about 12" from the rear. He then took the baffle out as a unit. He then inserted a different baffle in it after rechromeing the pipes. Another words he made the mufflers shorter. I didn't like the sound of it
when I got the bike so I bought a set kerkers 3-1 3-1. I love that sound when you crank it on it is one of a kind. This is the same bike that is in my avatar picture.

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Considering shipping and getting the baffles out I think I'll opt for the old hot rodders method of chrome cleaning. Metal Prep 1:3 ration and some elbow grease.

Mike

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

If you have some stubborn spots, try aluminum foil. Crumbled in a little ball and rub it on the chrome. 8)

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

CopperCollar wrote:Considering shipping and getting the baffles out I think I'll opt for the old hot rodders method of chrome cleaning. Metal Prep 1:3 ration and some elbow grease.

Mike
All things considered that will certainly be the least expensive route, you can always re-chrome or replace them down the road.

Let me clear something up though, removing the baffle isn't that difficult. The internals of an OEM exhaust are made up of two pieces, the baffle that has the packing inside of it and the defusing cone that the baffle slides into about midway up the muffler. You DO NOT need to remove the cone that is further up the muffler, it is spot welded in there and contains no packing.

To remove the baffle, just grind through the two spot welds on the end of the muffler where the baffle tip sticks out, it will then pull right out.

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”