What did you do to your bike today?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

What did you do to your bike today?

Post by NobleHops »

I've seen variations of this thread on many sites, and it's a fun one, so I thought I'd give it a try here. I'll go first!

My black '80 has had charging system issues for a year, first the stock alternator croaked on the way home from the last MotoGP race at Laguna, so I repaired it, then replaced it with one of J.R.'s units, then I discovered it was overcharging the battery, which lead to a spate of half-hearted troubleshooting while the uprated alternator fried my battery. So this week I got down to business:

Replaced the main wiring harness with one of FallDownPhil's excellent repro harnesses:

NICE part, all the connectors and wire colors are correct, but it's made of modern materials, fits great, spotlessly clean. For the record the problem was NOT J.R.s excellent alternator, it was my crappy old wiring harness that had been poorly repaired, by me.

Replaced the fried DieHard battery with a BigCrank battery for a GL1500, which fit nearly perfectly with the addition of a wee bit of foam.

Lubed the choke cable to address a sticky choke return

Replaced the side stand with a straighter unit

Fixed a balky horn that needed adjustment (Thanks Aris)

Replaced the left-side exhaust heat shield from my Delkevic exhaust, as the screw worked loose and that in turn popped the spot welds to the clamp.

Had it re-spot welded and shortened a screw to fit, locktighted it in there this time.

Adjusted the fit of the chain guard.

Replaced the oil sump gasket and oil pump pickup screen.

No more oil leak from the sump! Screen was surprisingly clean. Bonus! (Thanks for the millionth time Dave)

Wired in a relay to power the coils directly.

This was easier than I expected and satisfying, and sure enough, I was seeing in excess of 12V at the coils once it was done. Can only help, in many ways. (Thanks for the encouragement Tony)

Cleaned, cleaned, cleaned.

It looks great again, had been a while since it had been shined up.

FIRED THE EVIL BEAST UP (best part of all) and it sparked up and ran perfectly, and mo bettah, the alternator was correctly charging the battery, minus my funky messed up old wiring harness, and all the lights, and turn signals and whatnot worked perfectly right off the bat. :shock:

Tonight it is getting its new battery topped off, and tomorrow we are going for a spin, and assuming all is well, I get to tear into my BMW and fix it's antilock brake pump next.

How about you? What did you do to your bike today?
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: What did you do to your bike today?

Post by daves79x »

Great start to a fun thread, Nils!

Dave

Michael Vidovic
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Michael Vidovic »

I just went out and had a good look at my 80 X and felt that all was well in the universe for another week. Will be taking her out to first bike show with God's Squad CMC visiting a youth centre. Bet these kids have never heard of, let alone seen a CBX. The bonus is the six pipe symphony!
Last edited by Michael Vidovic on Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...always walk out of the room smarter than you walked in...

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Michael Vidovic wrote:I just went out and had a good look at my 80 X BLACK BETTY and felt that all was well in the universe for another week. Will be taking her out to first bike show with God's Squad CMC visiting a youth centre. Bet these kids have never heard of, let alone seen a CBX. The bonus is the six pipe symphony!
Post pics or it didn't happen :-)
Nils Menten

Michael Vidovic
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

NobleHops wrote:
Michael Vidovic wrote:I just went out and had a good look at my 80 X and felt that all was well in the universe for another week. Will be taking her out to first bike show with God's Squad CMC visiting a youth centre. Bet these kids have never heard of, let alone seen a CBX. The bonus is the six pipe symphony!
Post pics or it didn't happen :-)

Will try but generally they take the cameras and phones off us at the entry desk. See if I can get one of the guys before we enter. Now I have to learn how to upload pics on this site!!!
Last edited by Michael Vidovic on Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Vidovic
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Outside the youth centre. Great ride in. Speedo needle snapped and forks decided not to go up and down properly on the way back. Will see too ASAP. Mainly Harley's in the bike show with a few Indians, Victories and some Jap bikes, but my CBX took out Best non Harley. :)
Last edited by Michael Vidovic on Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fasterspider
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by fasterspider »

It was not today but, almost 2 years ago when my CBX was filmed for a movie called "The Beautiful Ones", here is a trailer.
https://vimeo.com/106179392
Ray#1

The Fasterspider

Slightly modified 79 CBX

Ride Red

neilx7
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by neilx7 »

fitted Tim's euro alternator nice and easy.
refitted left side exhaust with new header gaskets sealed ok now.
took cbx out on 1st ride after rebuild, all seem ok but need to address racket coming from clutch.
also wont run unless fuel tap is in reserve position, plus i think it may have a leaking so a new will be orded.

cheers
Neil

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

fasterspider wrote:It was not today but, almost 2 years ago when my CBX was filmed for a movie called "The Beautiful Ones", here is a trailer.

Ray, did you let someone else ride your biike :o :o

Sharpie66
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Sharpie66 »

fasterspider wrote:It was not today but, almost 2 years ago when my CBX was filmed for a movie called "The Beautiful Ones", here is a trailer.
That was an awesome clip!

I got the rear suspension back on my Prolink project and a new Progressive shock in place. The shock was a perfect fit and looks amazing back there. I hope it's a good upgrade. I would post a pic but iOs8 is not playing well :x

PC
Don't take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive.

Sharpie66
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Sharpie66 »

It wasn't today, but over the weekend I rode my 82 CBX. It was a big ride for me because my last ride was June 19 of this year. I had a bad fall fall at work and my left arm required 4 hours of major reconstructive surgery. My cast came off September 3 and I have been enduring intense Physical Therapy 3X a week since. Well, over the weekend I wrapped my arm super tight and went for a long relaxing ride on back country roads. Hurt like hell and my Therapist would take my bike away if she knew, but let me say this.....the CBX is still doing what it set out to do 32 years ago...putting a smile on the rider's face and inspiring awe in the onlookers! :D

Patrick
Don't take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Nice story, Patrick.
Having that injury with all this nice weather must have made it worse.
It must be tough working on your new resto with only one wing.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Fantastic Patrick, great to hear. The weather suddenly turned perfect here, peak ridding season, and I intend to get after it too.

N.
Nils Menten

6Pipes
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by 6Pipes »

Yesterday I bolted a set of Sankei reproduction exhaust that I purchased on Ebay on to my 79 CBX. I am really impressed with the fit and finish. They look like stock and seem to be just a bit heavier than the stock pipes and they fit perfectly! I kept waiting for the hidden defect or installation problem but it never happened. Couldn't be happier with them!

Michael Vidovic
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Hi all
Spent the previous arvo searching for a gremlin that prevented the X from starting. Went through the usual checks-battery, earth, cables, switches etc. No joy. Problem was similar to one I had with my 86FXR which was solved by a new battery. I was preparing to buy a new battery for the X when my nephew rocked up and did a couple of things with the electrics which I call black magic. He deduced the starter magnetic switch was a bit suss. I had considered that but didn't pursue it the way he did. We pulled it apart and Lo and behold the contacts were gummed up. Cleaned them up, fired up like a beaut. All cool, learned something and saved $200 odd dollars on a battery. Pays to do basics and not panic-another valuable lesson in life.
It's the little victories that keep you going.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”