Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Close enough...ride it!
Excellent looking resto, Manx.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Engine and Frame se(r)ial mumbers.

Post by daves79x »

Looking good! Any further details/photos of the resto appreciated. I'm sure there are lots of stories.

Dave

cbmanx
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by cbmanx »

Quick trip round the famous Isle of Man TT course, Gooseneck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ridem32

Post by Ridem32 »

Hey I'm a newbie ! I just got a basket case 1979 cbx1000
The vin # cb1 2002106 motor # cb1E 200252
The bike is a rolling frame with gauges, gas tank side covers , tail section and torn seat! Motor is apart I think it needs a rod! Date of build is 4/78 stock pipes paid $250 with a clear title
Michael

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Michael:

Welcome! Looks like you did OK on the deal. Your frame and engine numbers are a bit of an anomaly if they are original to each other. I've seen a frame number in the low 2000s and an engine number in the 800s, but never that much difference. Sure it's not 2252 for the engine number? That would be more of a standard deviation. But no real matter - looks like you've got a project. I'd assess what your missing and what it might cost to replace those parts, then if that's seems doable - dig in! Lots of help here with advice/parts/whatever.

We have a member here from Ocean Springs, MS. If you search up the Katrina Bike, he's the owner.

Look forward to hearing more from your project - and some pics!

Dave

Ridem32

Post by Ridem32 »

Hey Dave my bad on engine # cb1e. 2002528 I got gas tank soaking had some rust! It came with a windjammer but not on bike I need front headlight and bracket ! I saw a bracket on eBay for a 1979 but it's chrome and it clamps around the forks the 79 that I see have black brackets and I don't think they mount around the forks! But I'm not sure! I need front blinkers also ! I hooked up the windjammer all lights work but blinkers don't blink I think I got a bad signal stat 142 I know carbs need cleaning and kit put in ! The motor is apart I will pull crank and take to machine shop with head and pistons to see what I need to do it has 16,000 miles last tag was in 1996 he said he was 2nd owner and had noise on left side tore it down and it just sit from there! If the motor don't need boring and pistons are good I will install main and rod bearing do a head job with new timing chain etc and I think I will have a nice bike one day! I have a mint 78 honda 750k 20,000 miles and a 2012 honda st1300 I have always wanted a cbx so for. $250 I had to give it a try! I will post pics soon I got to learn how !
Thanks Michael
PS tell your Mississippi buddy to look me up! I know of a guy not far from me with a factory new cbx motor from one of our old closed up honda shop! It's complete with everything but carbs!

Ridem32

Post by Ridem32 »

http://youtu.be/q-pWW62msAs. I will post more this was Friday (3 days ago) if this link works I will post more tomorrow

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

That serial number is more like it. Quite sure that's the original engine to the frame. Don't know what you have in mind as a completed bike - pretty stock look or something else, but the stock headlight frame and bucket are out there, likely just a bit pricey. Hate to see you graft something else on. Stock turn signals will run you over double what you have in the whole bike. Proceed with care and take your time on each thing you do. These aren't particularly complicated, just more of everything. Don't know what your budget might be, but be prepared to spend some significant $ to do it right. Sent you a PM.

Dave

Ridem32

Post by Ridem32 »

Hey Dave I sent you 2 pm let me know if you got them. I'm new at this forum and just making sure you got them! My email is ridem32@aol.com
Thanks Michael

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Have you guys looked at the 80 on ebay ?

Low frame number but the engine number is suspect.

How does one differentiate an 80 Marysville from an 80 Japan made CBX?

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I have had several emails back and forth with the seller. I pointed out that his original listing showed a gauge photo of a mint '79 gauge set that he claimed was original to this bike and he has since misplaced. He then took that photo down. Also pointed out that the engine was not original to the frame, as that is a Japanese frame and engine numbers were close on those - his is 3700 off. His mileage claim can in no way be substantiated. Hate to see someone pay 2-3K for what he has, but buyer beware! It's worth about $1200 to me.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

CopperCollar wrote:Have you guys looked at the 80 on ebay ?

Mike
Frame numbers:
Japanese: SC03 - 20 00021 to approx 20 01800
Marysville SC03 - 20 10001 to approx 20 13000

The difference is the "1' in the fifth to last digit.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

daves79x wrote:I Also pointed out that the engine was not original to the frame, as that is a Japanese frame and engine numbers were close on those - his is 3700 off. Dave
The motor belongs into a Marysville-made bike with a VIN-number around SC03E-20 12300 ish

I remember a member on CBXWorld from Brazil who has VIN-numer ...707 8) His engine number is serial-no SC03E-20 00720...

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Thanks guys, I learn something here quite often.

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

CopperCollar wrote:Have you guys looked at the 80 on ebay ?

Mike

This piece sold for $2,900.- I just hope that nobody here spend that much money for it. :o :o

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CBX-rare- ... otorcycles

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”