Kent restores an '81

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Kent restores an '81

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Kent, if you have already changed the seal and o-ring, channel-lock tight should be enough.
I snugged mine up fairly tight and have no "slop" or movement in the cable.
Did they sell you the right cable?

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

thanks steve

cable looks identical to my old one. i was thinking about it last night and i believe i figured it out. first is i need to snug up the collar a little more, never like cranking down on alum bits :handgestures-fingerscrossed: the second is that i THINK this weeping oil may actually be cable lube, i always give my cables old OR new a good spray with cable lube before install. i will tighten it down a little more and go for a run and monitor it. sure am loving riding this bike, my poor old goldwing hasn't seen the light of day or had the cover off for what seems like ages.

thanks!
kent

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

You can also put a little teflon tape on the threads!

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

hey guys

just received a bunch of bits for Louis and am installing them. one of them has me a little stuck. i bought a new center-stand spring from him and when i go to remove the old one there is a lot of tension on it. it looks as though when the stand is in the UP position the tension is less. do you just put a pair of pliers on it and try to pull it open enough to get off? or is there any practical tip to doing this? in input would be much appreciated.

thanks a lot!
kent

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

I have a couple of tools for this sole purpose, have hooked tips. I have wounded myself in the past for lack of them. Swing by NAPA and look for a brake spring tool in their cheap shit tool bin. Like a screwdriver with a bent hook tip, very low tech.

Tell your knuckles I said "you're welcome". :-)

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

To install the new spring, put one end in a vise and flex the spring to open gaps between the coils. Insert washers, pennies, or whatever you like in the gaps. Now flew the spring the other way and do the same. Use as many washers/pennies as it takes to make the spring the right length to install, then start yanking out the spacers.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

Below is a pic of the tool I have always used to pull springs safely.
photo.jpg
It pays to wear work gloves, and MAKE SURE the bike is safe while pulling like mad ...
But it has always worked for me :)
Aris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Kool_Biker wrote:Below is a pic of the tool I have always used to pull springs safely.
Aris
That's the business right there, and Aris is right, have that bike in the lift's wheel clamp before you go reefing as hard as you can on a spring attached to your swingarm. Rick's trick works well too with far less drama. It's still handy to have that tool though.

N.
Nils Menten

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

I cheaped out and use a length of electric wire tied into a big loop. As with "The Hook", make sure the bike is secured, then put on a thick glove and pull. Works pretty good.

Steve
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

thanks for that info guys, i will give it a shot. as i am now not riding anymore this year, at least on the X i am back into work mode so here come the questions.....

the latest couple are as follows:

anybody have any ideas where a guy could buy 2 new "felt" washers that go on either side of the shifter perch. i am re-bushing the lever and mine don't look to good. 1 is ripped and the other just looks old.

i am going to button up my "spare" motor and i have one outstanding issue involving the cams. regarding the sprocket that bolts to the exhaust cam via 2 bolts. i believe i should probably use some thread locker on those bolts? if so what type? i went to the parts store and got confused by all the different styles staring me in the face. also, how on earth do you get a torque wrench on those 2 bolts when they're on the head? can't get a socket in there let alone a torque wrench???

thanks a lot guys!
kent

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

There are reproduction felts showing up every once-in-a-while on eBay. But if you have most of the originals - consider yourself lucky. Just grease them heavily and re-use. As for the cam bolts - I've never used thread locker on them and I don't think the manual calls for any. I just tighten the bolts as tight as I can get them with a short 10mm wrench. Never had a problem.

Dave

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

thanks for that dave. wanna get the top end buttoned up on my spare motor and shrink wrap it for storage. one day i may toss it in the frame and see what we have. after my cams got chewed up i put the new head back on after replacing valve seals and lapping valves. have no idea how the bottom end is but might drop it in one day to find out???

thanks a lot!
kent

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

well, my search for a set of mint bags for my '81 has had no results, so i started taking apart my existing bags to see about restoring THEM. have most things off or apart except for a few here that i am hoping someone else may have run across this situation and could be of some assistance? below are my coles notes questions / statements. any info on any of them would be much appreciated:

looks like the "carry" handle mechanism is just riveted on with conventional rivets so i think i will just drill existing rivets and rivet back on once painted? thoughts?

looks as though the bottom hinges unbolt on one side but are riveted on the other? mine are trashed (rust). even after i UN-bolted the hinges they still wont come loose from the other side of the bag? any ideas on how to break these loose without breaking the bag? also how do you remove the "riveted" side? bottom line is i need new or nicer hinges. hello Louis i imagine?

the bag has a nice metal or plastic trim that goes all the way around the openings. it does not look like that UN-bolts or comes off in any way? anybody ever removed that for painting? or do i just mask it prior to painting?

lastly, there are some little trim pieces etc that look sort of like they are "riveted" on however the heads do not really look like a rivet? are they rivets or some sort of a pressed in item?

any assistance here would be much appreciated.

thanks
Kent

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

hey guys

been rather quiet the last little while with the winter months upon us. actually got out for the first ride of the year on the X last weekend and it was a blast, everything worked great. did a few things over the winter months. rebuilt the shift lever with the bushings from 6 center and they worked great. rebuilt the petcock and also works great, just be careful when drilling your holes in the body as the back is recessed a bit and it's easy to go too deep. had all the brackets etc for the bags re-chromed and the bags painted and they're all mounted up and i am very happy with them. next item will be getting my wheels polished. we have a big vintage bike swap meet up here in April and am looking forward to attending it, the parking lot alone is worth the trip as all the nice bikes come out for the day, even a few CBX's. was down in Seattle last weekend at the new Lemay auto museum and it was very impressive, well worth the visit. if anybody is interested or in the area on august 24th they will be having a large vintage motorcycle festival weekend that should be great. still working on possibly getting a VF1000R for my next project, should know in a week or two. hope your all well and for those of us up north, keep your chin up as it's ALMOST riding season AGAIN!

take care
Kent

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Hey Kent, good to hear from you! Pics or it didn't happen! :-)

N.
Nils Menten

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”