Project CBX - Need help picking parts.

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
deadbanana0717
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Project CBX - Need help picking parts.

Post by deadbanana0717 »

Hey fellas...

I was inspired to build a cbx streetfighter similar to bikeymikey's earlier last year however my project never lifted off...
(New to building bikes... this would be the first project)
I did purchase a few parts to try and get the rolling chassis together e.t.c. however It looks I may have to start there again.

Front End: I picked up a 2010 CBR 1000 RR complete front for $500. clipons, triples, calipers e.t.c... but my buddy ended up using my front end for spares, so... I could go shop for a new one or keep using that one...

Swing Arm: 2008 Ducati 848 rear swingarm. (shock, linkage e.t.c.) My rear swing arm proved to be a huge mistake (Looks odd with the rest of the cbx), and It looks like Im on the market for another one.
- Looks too curvy to work with the rest of the cbx's lines. (Thoughts?)

I have a bunch of 98-99 R1 spares... Forks, Front & Rear Rims with rotors calipers and all... I was wondering if you guys know of anyone who's used a 98-99 R1 Swingarm for the back of a CBX yet?

Any suggestions on which Swingarms that looks good & ease to adapt that I should use or shop for?

Thanks!

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Project CBX - Need help picking parts.

Post by EMS »

If you want to go single sided, the Honda VFR swinger is a good choice. Has been done several times

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

George baby! Welcome back, looks like you're motivated 8)
Anything can be made to fit. It comes down to your personal tastes. Look at it as a blank canvas that you are free to create whatever pleases you. Pour yourself a single-malt set yourself up in a comfy chair and Google CBX images ( street fighter,cafe racer, custom, modified, etc. ) and see what appeals to you.
The R1 bits are nice items though. the fact that you have them lying around? Hmmmmmmmm.
Mike C.

deadbanana0717
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by deadbanana0717 »

Thanks for the welcome back Mike!

Funny enough I found some time these past few days to actually play with my bikes.... 3 days for 3 I been up til 2am =)

I did some work on my R1's (just so I can tack on all my bits I stock piled and once thats done I can focus on the CBX)

most of what can be installed is done... ran into some minor hickups but those arnt big...

I really want to get my bike into a rolling chassis at the very least. Its been sitting there since NOV 2011! thats what really hit me -_-; its been there for a while.

Also, the messy garage is still messy but it has more space so... now I can actually Try to do some work in there =)...

I got R1 bits lying around because I Swapped them off of my R1's with other stuff :D ... the previous owners of these r1's also horded a lot of oem brake pads! I'd be set for life if i went with these on the CBX build. :D

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

deadbanana0717 wrote:- Looks too curvy to work with the rest of the cbx's lines. (Thoughts?)
I agree, but in general SSSA setups look pretty bad from the drive side. If you painted it flat black to make it a bit less obvious it might look OK.

I have nothing to offer in terms of measurement/fit, except to note that the VFR setup is well-proven.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

patzx12
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by patzx12 »

Hi I am doing the same thing with a 79 bike.
My starting point was the type of bike i want, not a streetfighter more like a CB1300 riding position with good passenger accommodation + room to carry some luggage.
The geometry i got from another builder:
Wheelbase maximum: 1500mm ideal 1450mm
fork length: 710mm
From floor to Swingarm pivot: 370mm
Swingarm pivot to rear spindle: 460mm

I have Suzuke Bking running gear. i extended the forks and they are perfect. the Bking Swingarm would have fitted great but its too long, all modern bikes have long swingarms. i went for a 1998 GSXR750 SRAD arm.
Massively strong arm. The Blackbird unit would be the easiest to fit but not a nice looking.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

patzx12 wrote:I have Suzuke Bking running gear. i extended the forks and they are perfect.
What approach did you take to extending the forks?

Do you have a build thread for your bike somewhere? I would love to see some pics.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

patzx12
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by patzx12 »

Hi Just joined.
I did put up an introduction but i don't see it.
I have no problem with engineering, i have my own toolrooom, its just finding time for it all.
I will start a thread on my build.
I used eccentric bushes on the swingarm pivot to clear the engine casing, the rising rate was a huge pain in the a-- to get right.
I am now machining up some conversions for the Kawasaki alternators, i am making one for each of my bikes and another for a buddy.
Once i sort a battery box and some foot peg hangers the frame will be ready for paint. my engine is ready for paint, it doesent need any mechanical work just a carb rebuild.

deadbanana0717
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by deadbanana0717 »

Hey Guys,

Sorry for droping off the radar but the weather is getting warmer so my garage will be more humane to work in!

Been rough dealing with family issues the past year, still selling the family business - taking time, but also leaving me after hours to tinker with stuff but hard to keep up the motivation with the weight on the shoulders. (biggest challenge i suppose.)

I don't have a build thread for this bike yet. I've seen th

@ Syscrush:
I still have this part in my garage since it hasnt sold being posted on line yet... but I think i should still shop for another swingarm instead of trying to make this one work =(...
VFR's or 748's seem to be a popular SSSA for the CBX SF builds... I thought I might go a little more conservative and not so extreme.

@ patzx12:

I could go with a CB1300 Ride position as well. I have my sports bikes already, not looking to build another bike so I can look at my front tire while I ride.
Something more Sport Touring would be ideal.

Hey Thanks for the info on the wheel base e.t.c. also the suggestion on the GSXR Swing arms and black birds.
From the looks of it the 1998 GSXR750 SRAD Swingarm isnt perfectly symetrical. Kind of similar to a R1 swingarm (I just happen to have laying around.)
What do you think?

98 R1

98 GSXR

How did you do your frame? Did you chop it anywhere e.t.c? and as Syscrush mentioned, DO you have a build thread?

deadbanana0717
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by deadbanana0717 »

patzx12 wrote:Hi Just joined.
I did put up an introduction but i don't see it.
I have no problem with engineering, i have my own toolrooom, its just finding time for it all.
I will start a thread on my build.
I used eccentric bushes on the swingarm pivot to clear the engine casing, the rising rate was a huge pain in the a-- to get right.
I am now machining up some conversions for the Kawasaki alternators, i am making one for each of my bikes and another for a buddy.
Once i sort a battery box and some foot peg hangers the frame will be ready for paint. my engine is ready for paint, it doesent need any mechanical work just a carb rebuild.

Hey Patz,...

What is the Ride height (Seat) in mms with your current setup?

I found a guy on Custom Fighters Forum with a photo of a CBX with straight up R1 parts

Swingarm, forks, blue dot calipers even the seat and tail...

What you guys think> I have all those parts, kind of thinking of going that route...

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Welll....I think you should go for it! Whatever your imagination will take you to and make you happy. One thing I would do, if you have not already planned for it, is bracing the frame. You basically build a new bike and take everything down to the frame and motor, so why not address the weakest part in the CBX. Between the rear swingarm axle and the steering neck, the hardware really needs some improvement. 8)

deadbanana0717
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by deadbanana0717 »

EMS wrote:Welll....I think you should go for it! Whatever your imagination will take you to and make you happy. One thing I would do, if you have not already planned for it, is bracing the frame. You basically build a new bike and take everything down to the frame and motor, so why not address the weakest part in the CBX. Between the rear swingarm axle and the steering neck, the hardware really needs some improvement. 8)
I've never build a bike before, however after this CBX build I'm already eyeing a xs650 to do a nice relaxing cruiser...

Contemplating buying a 12 Ton Pipe bender to maybe Trellis the frame a bit... Anyone with experience with this got any advice? Is it safe to ride a bike/frame braced by a newb? LOL...

deadbanana0717
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by deadbanana0717 »

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions to make the rear swingarm complementing the look of the CBX?
I do want to modernize the bike but if possible (within a reasonable budget) I do not want to mess with the overall feel/design of the bike.

The bike has a massive engine with narrow tubular frames... throwing on any of the mid 90s+ Swingarms already looks a little out of place or am I just thinking too much?

From a Top down or a Rear view of the swingarms.

the R1 and the ZX10 swingarms are not perfectly symetrical.

I've been reconmended SRAD 750s, ZX11 ZZR to retain some of the feel of the bike...

I think if the R1 Rear swingarm were painted black to match the frame, it wouldnt stand out too much. I want the focal point of the bike to be on the Engine, and pretty much all else can be low gloss black or possibly Matte.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

To my eye there is nothing that takes away from the engine being the dominant visual cue.
Even a build as custom as the beauty from bikeymikey it is the engine that i focus on first.

deadbanana0717
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by deadbanana0717 »

Mikey's bike is amazing work.... 12K Views says it all... Also done in Record breaking time.

I believe he has a GSXr Swingarm which looks more symetrical than the R1's but I think at the end of the day, I have so many R1 Parts In my garage, I just might have to go that way.

98 R1...

Front Forks. Calipers Rotors Rims. (Life time supply of Brake Pads)

Rear Rims, Bracket, Calipers Rotor... Rear Swingarm, Hugger, Linkage, (Complete)

Both Rear Sets

I have a CBR 1000 Complete Front end which will work too but... Thinking how I can avoid Miss-matched Rims.

I'm going to see if the CBR Tripples will work with the R1 Forks... If so, I wont have to buy another R1 Triple.

Just do it? use the R1 Parts? or will this be some huge critical error.

Return to “Project Threads”