Prolink Swingarm on an 80

SanDogDewey
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Prolink Swingarm on an 80

Post by SanDogDewey »

Does anyone have pictures of a ProLink swingarm modified for an'80?

Basically take this...
prolink%20swingarm1.jpg
and make it into something like this with the added shock mounts...
calfab%20swingarm1.jpg
It wouldn't be as purdy, but it should be extremely functional. The welds on the Calfab unit are amazing. I was thinking of boxing in the front of the Prolink unit as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ICOA #6266
1977 CB750K
1980 CBX

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Prolink Swingarm on an 80

Post by EMS »

Here is the alternative that I came up with. I wanted to bring this to Brookvile and show you guys: from top to bottom, Prolink, CB1100F and "mystery" swingarm :wink: , that is an easy fit for both 1980 and 1979 models. It already has the lower shock mounts. The axle diameter is 16mm and the installation width is slightly narrower than the CBX between frame dimension, so one would have to use slightly larger spacers. This thing is extremely light and definitely an improvement over the F swingarm, which - as most of you know by now - I don't really like that much. Now, whoever guesses what bike it is out of, gets the chance to buy one from me. I have two of them... :wink:

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

Dave McMunn modified a ProLink swingarm and put it on an '80 a few years ago - Think he decided it was more time/money/trouble than it was worth since you can get an 1100F swingarm relatively cheaply and it just about bolts on

Don

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Dewey, Z1 Enterprises carries shock mounts.
Pricey.
http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=2043

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Got one of those mystery arms on my '80, Mike.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:Got one of those mystery arms on my '80, Mike.
:thumupp: You remember how you compensated for the width, Steve?

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

EMS wrote:
:thumupp: You remember how you compensated for the width, Steve?

1/2" spacers with the GS1100 pivot bolt. It is the same dia. as the stock Honda bolt.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

Don wrote:Think he decided it was more time/money/trouble than it was worth since you can get an 1100F swingarm relatively cheaply and it just about bolts on
I stand corrected - Dave tells me that for an '80 model a ProLink arm is actually a better fit as it slides in the frame with no shimming or tweaking required. It is about an inch and a half too long, but you can lengthen the slots for the axle by 3/4ths of an inch or so and make it work . . . . weld on some shock mounts and give it a go!

Don

SanDogDewey
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SanDogDewey »

Has anyone ever tried to fit one of these from "The Big One"? Would allow you to use eyelet shocks and will fit a 170/60-18 tire, which is not the most common tire but a lot of rubber on the road.
!BeVUnKw!Wk~$(KGrHqIH-CYErenO0ZuPBK8y6B)zMw~~_12.jpg
CB10001 s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ICOA #6266
1977 CB750K
1980 CBX

SanDogDewey
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SanDogDewey »

Don wrote:
Don wrote:Think he decided it was more time/money/trouble than it was worth since you can get an 1100F swingarm relatively cheaply and it just about bolts on
I stand corrected - Dave tells me that for an '80 model a ProLink arm is actually a better fit as it slides in the frame with no shimming or tweaking required. It is about an inch and a half too long, but you can lengthen the slots for the axle by 3/4ths of an inch or so and make it work . . . . weld on some shock mounts and give it a go!Don
I think this is going to be my plan of action. Copying the distance from the swingarm mid-point to the eyelet on my stock swingarm should provide the correct location for the shockmount on the Prolink correct?
ICOA #6266
1977 CB750K
1980 CBX

SanDogDewey
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SanDogDewey »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:Dewey, Z1 Enterprises carries shock mounts.
Pricey.
http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=2043
I'll see if my machine shop can come up with something for less than a hundred bones, otherwise those look perfect.
ICOA #6266
1977 CB750K
1980 CBX

SanDogDewey
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SanDogDewey »

I stand corrected - Dave tells me that for an '80 model a ProLink arm is actually a better fit as it slides in the frame with no shimming or tweaking required. It is about an inch and a half too long, but you can lengthen the slots for the axle by 3/4ths of an inch or so and make it work . . . . weld on some shock mounts and give it a go!
Did Dave fill the hole for the ProLink suspension or leave it empty?
ICOA #6266
1977 CB750K
1980 CBX

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Patrick:
Sorry - just catching up on this topic. The Pro-Link arm is an absolute bolt-on as the set up is exactly the same as the '80 arm. As Don said, the only negative is really a too-long wheelbase. Some may find it acceptable and I did one like that a few years ago, but I'd shorten the arm (or deepen the adjustment) about 3/4 inch if I was doing one again. That would make it about the same as the 1100F arm conversion, which I personally think is about the perfect wheelbase.

To your actual question - no, I just left the holes as they were and really didn't mind the look or think they needed filled. If you elongate the adjuster slots, you will have to trim the rear so the stock adjusters still work. A bit of work but worth it I think. Then just weld on shock mounts like you suggested - about the same distance from the pivot as stock. A 140 tire will fit in the arm easily without trimming anything, depending on wheel diameter and where you actually end up length-wise. But 140 is still too wide a tire for stock wheels anyway.

Dave

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Samelak »

Steve,

I just installed my GS1100 swingarm and it's amazing that's it's pretty much a direct bolt on. Just needed two spacers for the pivot bolt. The only issue is a longer chain is now needed. Do you remember what length (number of links) is needed?

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Hi Lee.
The bike is currently running 17T front and 45T rear sprockets with a 110 link 530 chain.
Mine required just a little "persuasion" to fit.

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”