CBX transportation - U-haul

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

CBX transportation - U-haul

Post by ajs350 »

An odd question but I'm sure the mighty resources of this site will be able to help me out!
I'm relocating from Raleigh to Atlanta and need to move the bikes. I was thinking of renting a U-haul truck and loading them up inside but there is not much to tie them to. There is a rail either side attached to the truck side panels but thats it.
Has anyone transported bikes this way and is there a peferred way to attach them? Does it matter if they are on the center or side stand?
Thanks
Ross
Using a motorcycle transportation company costs $600 per bike. :o The U-hual is less than $400 for the day.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: CBX transportation - U-haul

Post by NobleHops »

They have wooden floors, right? Measure the width, make a wood brace that fits tightly to the side walls and front, with some structure to act as a wheel chock, and some bolt-eyes to act as anchors for the tie-downs. Brace it against the front and sides of the cargo box, screw it down with a half-dozen wood screws, and roll the bikes onto it and lash them down. Reverse. They will never see the screw holes nor will you have done any real harm.

Good luck with the move!

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

onewheelskyward
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by onewheelskyward »

Also, don't use the center or sidestand. When you strap the bikes down, put one strap on each side of the triple or handlebars, whatever you can get a solid hold on. Put enough tension on it to compress the suspension but not bottom it out. Even out the compression so the bike is straight up and down. Then throw another strap over the back wheel (not the seat) and torque it down as well. You can leave the sidestand down as a just-in-case but you don't need it.

It's the most stable way I can think of to lock down a motorcycle in a truck, with the centerstand down it would vastly shorten the contact "wheelbase" and make it a lot less stable.

Good luck with your trip!

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

Thanks for the suggestions. Problem is the floor is steel with no eyelets so the suspension cannot be compressed down in any way. The bikes would have to just sit there and be tied to the wall rails which are about 3ft from the floor.
I'm beginning to think this is a bad idea and I need another better one!
Ross

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

ajs350 wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. Problem is the floor is steel with no eyelets so the suspension cannot be compressed down in any way. The bikes would have to just sit there and be tied to the wall rails which are about 3ft from the floor.
I'm beginning to think this is a bad idea and I need another better one!
Ross
Build the substructure to fit, let the weight of the bikes hold it down ( bikes strapped to it). Or shop for a different truck that has a wooden floor.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

solarmoose
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by solarmoose »

I rented a uhaul trailer with metal floor and side rails as you describe, same problem, nothing to tie too although I think it had some tie loops in the front corners. I did something like Nils mentioned, but used a sheet of 3/4" ply with 2x4 to add rigidity. Then attached front wheel dock and eye bolts with fender washers to the plywood to tie bike too. I counter sunk bolt/nut on bottom of ply. I also screwed 12" long pieces of 2x2 on either side of tires so it couldn't walk sideways. Bike's weight held the whole thing down, the 2x4's were long enough to touch both sides of trailer to keep the "pallet" from moving side to side. We towed this setup from Fairbanks AK to Seattle over some bumpy road sections and it worked well. I checked on it at every gas stop but a wireless camera system would be a nice way to keep an eye on it. I fabbed the whole thing up in my garage as if it were sitting in the trailer before renting the trailer, already had trailer floor dimensions, then picked up trailer and set it up inside and did final fit.

rpleines
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by rpleines »

U-Haul also sells a Mototcycle Towing Kit.

http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Mot ... it?id=6223 :text-link:

Product description
Specially designed and made available so that U-Haul customers can now tow their motorcycle inside a U-Haul van trailer. This chock will be a handy addition to the bike enthusiast’s accessory collection. Whether you’re using it in our trailer or in your own, you will appreciate the sleek, light-weight design and professional grade quality for years to come.

Made from aluminum alloy, powder-coated for durability
Combined with proper tie-downs, the chock provides a stable positioning base that holds your bike in place during transit
Engineered with an adjustable cradle to customize fit for all sizes of tires
Designed with a wide footprint and non-skid base for ultimate towing stability
In the upright, ready to use position the length is 29". The base width is 10.75". The height to top of wheel stop is 18".
Part number: 46179040
Rich Pleines

Quickster2
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Quickster2 »

You can also mount a Condor Cycle Chock or similar to 2X4's and make a grid as discussed. Your bike won't go anywhere with the Condor and proper support spanning the width of the trailer.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”