Mike Nixon CBX carb rebuilding service

bigsixman
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Mike Nixon CBX carb rebuilding service

Post by bigsixman »

I recently received my rebuilt 79 CBX carbs back from Mike and I got them back on the bike last night. I have never went through the tilting the engine process before, but all told the job took about 5 1/2 hours total including some servicing and cleanup time when everything is exposed. The bike fired immediately after filling the bowls and the only adjustment was raising the idle speed after it warmed up. The choke and overall driveability is the best since I have owned it. I took it on a 80 mile test drive and all I can say is there's no more 40 year old CBX carb problems to deal with. The time table for the build was good and Mike emailed photos of his progress and identified a small problem with one carb. This is a 10,000 mile all original CBX and now it runs as good as it looks. I have another low mileage 79 CBX and I plan to get those carbs sent off to Mike soon. I highly recommend Mike's service to other CBX owners as he made a new bike out of mine.
1979 red CBX
1979 silver CBX

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Mike Nixon CBX carb rebuilding service

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Another happy customer for Mike, excellent.
I have used his carb book on numerous occasions.
The step-by-step text and photos plus the info he shares on the CBX sites has been a big help to the community.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Hey Big you're preaching to the choir. The thing that has impressed me over the years about Mike is that even though he's a businessman and charges a pretty penny to rebuild carbs, he has also always been willing to help a guy out with his knowledge and from what I have seen in the past if he does work for you he's not satisfied until you are, very rare these days.

Randall Washington form Randakk's Cycle Shakk is cut from the same mold, not the cheapest out there but worth every penny and very innovative in his services and the products he offers.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Jeff: I second that! Totally! 8)

bigsixman
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bigsixman »

I agree with you Jeff, Mike appears to be very concerned about his work and he certainly wants his customers satisfied. A good friend of mine who has ridden bikes for 50 years couldn't believe how well my bike ran and sounded...lack of clutch rattle. It does seam like Randakks feels the same way as Mike as I have read alot of articles and posts about Randall and he appears very well respected in the motorcycle community. I plan to use his carb boots on my next CBX carb build.
1979 red CBX
1979 silver CBX

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

+100. And Mike has served the CBX community for what, 25 years? More? Was technical director for several years, many of the Tech Tip Chronicles are authored by him. He and Dave McMunn have contributed an amazing amount for a very long time and we are lucky to have them both.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

+1 Nils,
Mike has saved me on numerous occasions.
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

Fojyie
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Fojyie »

I've been away from the forum for a while, but when I saw this I had to response a positive for Mike as well. He has helped me numerous times and did a great job on my carbs. Highly recommend his work.

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”