Prolink Rear Wheel Removal

panteradave
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Prolink Rear Wheel Removal

Post by panteradave »

Recently I bought a brand new DID chain to replace the 30 year old original on my '82 CBX. I had a couple of NOS sprockets to install at the same time. Yesterday, in the process of attempting to remove the rear wheel to get at the rear sprocket bolts a little easier, I literally could not get the wheel/tire out of the frame. The manual instructions are pretty simple - loosen the chain adjusters, disengage the chain, pull out the axle bolt, remove the sidebag brace and then just slide the wheel out at an angle. Well, that didn't work for me. The wheel binds up on the rear fender and swing arm no matter how I jiggle or force it around. Eventually, I was able to get the wheel wedged in a way that I could change out the rear sprocket, install the new chain and reassemble the bike. But I never was able to get the wheel out of the opening and separated from the bike.

Is there some trick to this that isn't mentioned in the manual - like remove the rear fender or disconnect the lower shock bolt???? Unless I'm missing something, there is no way a flat rear tire could get R&Rd on the side of the road on this bike. The bike would have to get picked up and hauled to a repair shop. At some point in the next few months I will need to replace both tires, so I'd like to figure out what I need to do to get the rear wheel off.

Advice?

Puzzled in Houston
Dave Bell

1982 CBX
2000 BMW K1200LT

1972 Detomaso Pantera GTS
2005 Acura NSX
2008 Roush F-150

harvey
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Prolink Rear Wheel Removal

Post by harvey »

Dave, I havenot removed the rear wheel for over a year but the last time I don't recall anything unique. It is not the easiest to remove but I think the last time was done on the center stand. I know I jacked it up on the Pit Bull Stand at times. But that just allows the rear wheel to slip out the bottom.

What part is binding, and is the tire oversize. If so it might help to let some air out of the tire. But once the axle is out it slides backward and then angles out. I think you may have to remove the brake caliber although the manual does not mention that.
harvey

Ride Safe and Ride Often

panteradave
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by panteradave »

The tire wedges at the rear fender while the hub jams against the swing arm. I cant rotate the tire/wheel far enough to clear as the opposite saddlebag stay.

The bike was on the center stand. The rear tire is stock size. I didn't try letting air out - that might have helped. The rear caliper wasn't in the way as once the axle is out, the caliper can be pulled up and secured with wire or a bungie cord. Everything about the bike is completely stock, so I'm sort of at a loss. It looks like it would take putting the bike on a lift so the tire could possibly come out the bottom.

Now that I think about it, maybe if I'd set the center stand on a block of wood there may have been enough clearance at the rear, though that might be tough to do. I guess I'll try that next time.

Thanks.

Dave
Dave Bell

1982 CBX
2000 BMW K1200LT

2005 Acura NSX
2008 Roush F-150

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Dave:

I haven't done one in quite a while either, but have done lots in the past. I do not remember having any particular difficulty getting the stock rear wheel out. I know it's a tight fit and you have removed what you need to (I recall removing the chain guard, maybe). Can't help you further except it can be done.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Same here. I had new tires put on my '81 last year, but I do not recall any difficulties removing the rear wheel.. :? :?

panteradave
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by panteradave »

I guess that the problem is either something odd with the bike, or me. Of the two operator error is probably the most likely Letting some air out of the tire and/or a block under the center stand may be the trick. I'll try again when it's tire replacement time in a few months.

Thanks guys!
Dave Bell

1982 CBX
2000 BMW K1200LT

2005 Acura NSX
2008 Roush F-150

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Hi, Dave,

Somewhat echoing a couple of the others above, should be no particular problem. I put new rubber onto my '82 last year. DO remove the caliper and hang it from luggage rack rail. Do remove the chain guard. Do put it on the center stand. NOT necessary to remove the luggage rack section (even though the manual says to). It's a snug fit getting it out; BUT, it should come without having to release air, etc. I forget which direction to tilt the wheel. Only one will work, though. The other direction won't clear. Also, I don't remember which side (or both) that you can remove the outside spacer. Raise or lower the wheel in the arm to remove this spacer before doing the tilting -- gives more tilting space. Should work. Good luck.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”