Rear caliper out of alignment?

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Rear caliper out of alignment?

Post by Kool_Biker »

Shouldn't my rear caliper pivot come to rest to right of the swing arm, rather than resting with a gap shown here?
P1100836 (1).jpg
The caliper can be pushed to the right to close the gap, but it takes force and feels wrong.
Could my torque link be a little bit bent?
Thanks for the advice in advance, Aris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Rear caliper out of alignment?

Post by EMS »

Aris: I never paid much attention to how this looks when the wheel is not installed and the axle nut is not tightened. But I would think it is not an issue of the brake torque arm. If so, your caliper would not align with the rear rotor. Sitting in front of the PC, I tend to believe, the swingarm ends will tighten slightly and close the gap, when you install the wheel and torque down the axle nut.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

As Mike said, I never looked at the claiper hanger that way. Proof of correct alignment is when bolted up, without the caliper installed, the rotor should be almost centered in the slot of the hanger. If this does not happen, then something's not right. But I suspect it's OK, since you didn't notice any dragging or rubbing of the rear brake or caliper when running.

Dave

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

No dragging, no problems with braking, BUT in the interests of doing things right, and in line with Honda's quality of design, I believe this caliper should be able to rest freely against the fork on the right.
As I am currently in the process of changing my rear tyre and have oodles of space and access in the vicinity of the rear caliper and torque arm, I will have a good look at exactly what's going on tomorrow.
I like the idea of checking the hanger against the rotor with the caliper removed.
Thanks a lot chaps!
Aris
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

Return to “BRAKES: Calipers, Pads, Lines, Rotors, Upgrades & Fixes”