Petcock stiff

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Petcock stiff

Post by ajs350 »

The petcock on my 80 seems to be getting stiffer and stiffer. Is there a way to lube the lever for smoother action?
Thanks
Ross

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Re: Petcock stiff

Post by Rick Pope »

Ross,

If it lasts over 4 hours, see a doctor. Sorry, that was just too easy.

Seriously, you might try applying a bit of spray silicone to the edge of the bright ring around the lever/disc valve. This might work it's way into the surface between the flat wave spring and the lever itself. The back of the lever/disc vale is lubed by gasoline.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Aside from the obvious smart-a$$ 'why is that a problem' comments, yes you can spray the front with some penetrating oil and work the handle and that should smooth it a bit. If yours is original, however, I'd for sure rebuild it with a new rubber. Then you'll be able to clean all the parts properly and it will be good for a long time.

Dave

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

Thanks for the laughs and for the tips. I sprayed liquid wrench on the tap and it is now moving smoothly. How simple was that? :-) As always many thanks for the help.
Ross

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”