ceramic coating

Houtman
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

ceramic coating

Post by Houtman »

Rececently I bought a CB1000 with a V/H exhaust system.The headers are somewhat rusty and I would like to have ceramic coated.Does anyone have some experience with this type of coating?I checked it out on the net and some people speak highly of Jet Hot but others do not.Are there any companies you can recommend to do a good job?Thanks John Houtman.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: ceramic coating

Post by NobleHops »

Houtman wrote:Rececently I bought a CB1000 with a V/H exhaust system.The headers are somewhat rusty and I would like to have ceramic coated.Does anyone have some experience with this type of coating?I checked it out on the net and some people speak highly of Jet Hot but others do not.Are there any companies you can recommend to do a good job?Thanks John Houtman.
John, J.R. Luksik has a lot of experience with this, and I think he really likes his vendor. PM to cbx-tras and see what he says.

These threads also talk about some first-hand experience:

viewtopic.php?f=102&t=7089&p=53923&hilit=ceramic#p53923

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7014&p=53199&hilit=ceramic#p53199

Try the search feature upper right, you will be surprised at how good the search results are here given the size of the knowledge base.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

SanDogDewey
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SanDogDewey »

Houtman wrote:Rececently I bought a CB1000 with a V/H exhaust system.The headers are somewhat rusty and I would like to have ceramic coated.Does anyone have some experience with this type of coating?I checked it out on the net and some people speak highly of Jet Hot but others do not.Are there any companies you can recommend to do a good job?Thanks John Houtman.
I had my Kerker headers and exhaust ceramic coated by the local powdercoater. I don't know what he uses though.They have held up well for the last year and a half. I also had the valve covers, exhaust collars, and alternator covers ceramic coated and they look as good as new. The exhaust was done black and the rest silver. The silver ceramic coating will never be as shiny as chrome, but it holds up well.
ICOA #6266
1977 CB750K
1980 CBX

Houtman
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Houtman »

Thanks guys for all the info,I will follow up on these leads this weekend.I love my CBX,s but I really like the CB 1000 as well.In the very hot summer we had a watercooled bike is nice when you are stuck in traffic!John.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

...and here i was about to ask whether your CB1000 was an' 83 Custom or '95 Big One that you owned. Water cooling spilled the beans.
Always liked the look of them. Do you like it? How about a pic.

Houtman
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Houtman »

Hi Steve ,yes it is the 1994 black one .I took a demo ride on one of them at the Americade in 1994 but at that time had already 8 bikes on the road.After selling my last VF1000R I was hoping that Honda would bring out the retro CB1100 as I love the looks of that bike!.But no avail and thats why I bought the CB1000 with only 8200 miles on it.I drove 1400 miles in 2 days to pick it up but it was worth it. I really like the way it rides .I will TRY to put some pictures on the forum but need my son in law to help me!!!

cbxwest
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by cbxwest »

I have 3 sets of exhaust Jet-Hot Coated. Stays nice for years. Got 2 D&D units done and a Cambell X-pipe done.

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

I bought the Denco set fro Steve and am quite happy, matter of fact I think I got a great deal.

The chrome is what I expected for a 30 year old system and rechrome would be just to expensive, just as well buy a set of stainless steel pipemasters which is my long term goal.

So I am going to get the Dencos ceramic coated and have them lined at the same time to preserve the pipes. I am going with the polished aluminum ceramic look. I think they will look nice.

on a side note I mounted them on my bike so I could get an idea of what needed tweaking, like the brake lever, and how they would look. I pulled the baffles for sand blasting and whilst at it I fired her up and went for a ride. It had to be short, damn thing was LOUD. At idle she sounded like a big block V8 with open headers....awsome.

Six into six may not be a performance pipe but it sure sounds nice and gets a lot of lookers.

When I get them back from the coater and mounted I'll post pictures.
Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Mike:
I'd say you got a good deal also. I assume you mounted these on your other CBX - not Travesty. Didn't think you were that close to firing the new one up. Looking forward to the photos.

Dave

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Yeah Dave, The Denco's are on my other CBX. I really am growing fond of them.

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”